• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics, 5 ton 4 door

Wolfknyte

Exactly how it should be done!

I get so tired of seeing all the crew cab conversions bobbing their trucks. I love what you did to yours!

The interior mods you mentioned sound pretty darn awesome as well, look forward to seeing pics as it comes along.

davesgmc

is going to be much easier to move the bed forwad and chop off exss frame. besides, that thing with its super long wheelbase is a nightmare to turn around anyhow. the turning radius is about the same as a space shuttle. and still all in all, off roading, i only once had to do a three point turn following the stock 2.5 ton turcks through the woods. ELMO is quite wider and he still fit every place the lil 2.5's went, only a few more scrapes on the bed sides. went over many of the small trees and brush groves with ease. it climbed the steep hils with no tire spin and nive and steady as could be.
elmo even did well in the mud pit. i figured on saturday morning was best time to attempt a crossing cause we werent scheduled to leave til suday which would give us plenty of time to pull it out,,,,,,,wasnt needed, went through and didnt evven spin a tire!

elmo was BEAST! the lil civvy jeep guys were quite amazed such a larg truck was trail riding, and even more impressed i drove it from kansas city to wyandotte, ok.

but thats all another story..................

wyorunner

My apologies for bringing a thread back from the dead, but I am curious and was unable to find any more on your crew cab 5ton. I just had the thought this morning about doing such and realized there are a few out there. This would be much better for the coming family. Thanks for any response and pictures, and again my apologies for reviving this thread.

davesgmc

The ELMO truck has got even more upgrades and changes. It has had a steel hard top fabricated, new fuel tanks with steps, complete new custom front sheetmetal based from an 800 series so the radiator is actually under the hood now instead of being mouthed in front of the original grill. the front end was streched forward about another 8 inces in the body. still a lot more to do before i will ever consider it done.

if anyone ever wnats to come by and see it or take it for a drive, just let me know.

madcroc1

I think the bec combination for a 4 Door would be to mod a M928 or a M927 with a 21' bed. Rip off that bed and install a M923 or M925 14' bed giving 6 feet for the crew cab

FatBuddhaBoo

I just had the thought this morning about doing such and realized there are a few out there.
While there are only a few crew cab 5 tons out there, I believe the concept is the same so one should be able to learn and adapt from any of the numerous deuce crew cab threads on here (mine included). However, each person adds their own flair and vision of the completed project, and of course skills vary which can drastically alter the outcome.

mattwspeed did both a deuce and 5 ton and hails from Clarksville, GA. Here's the threads on his...though he did bob them as well:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106305-5-ton-Crew-Cab-killing-em-at-car-shows-already!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?97885-M35A2-Zombie-Hunter

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
davesgmc works nights, so sleeps during the day I put on my recon bonnie and snapped some photos. Earlier this year with parts from BFR he restored the hood and grill back to mil spec along with the fender mounted air cleaner 009.jpg001.jpg and yep that is a 24Vdc generator in front of the right fuel tank. Also good view of the all metal roof and cab spacing. Inside roof was covered with GI sleeping mat foam then covered with peg board then standard hard top metal trim was used 011.jpg002.jpg Front seats are standard springer bases with high back humv seats that I gave him last year as a wedding gift, he was happy, Wife not so much! 004.jpg005.jpg014.jpg Rear seat was fabbed with two duce passenger seat but with ends and front covered for storage.013.jpg

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Rear seat was fabbed with angle iron, pretty much as a jumbo duce passenger seat but with ends and front covered for storage.
Thanks for posting this up. Solved a whole lot of thinking on how I was going to fab the frame to put my rear seats in this weekend. Looks like I'll start with the existing old passenger seat frame and extend it to adapt it to the new rear seats that I scavenged out of a Chevy Silverado.

The inside of the top looks pretty sweet too! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

davesgmc

the rear seat is actually 2 passenger bench seat narrowed just a slight bit and welded together. backs and all. the back does fold down. the base was filled in with plywood front and sides and the seat flips up to provide storage. there are actually 2 more batteries mounted back there to power the 24v systems of the truck. being an ex fire truck it was converted to 12v at one point, and i haven't yet got a chance to go back to 24v. I will eventually have the rear seat professionally upholstered to be better looking than what it is now.
the interior roof took quite a bit of time as all the parts that are holding up the peg board had to be hand fabricated. there is sleeping mat glued to every bit of the interior under that, and several layers glues to the back of the interior roof and back of the cab. it helps quite a bit with interior noise.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one heck of a nice truck, :drool::drool: but I am missing at least one nice discreet (green) exhaust stack sticking up, two would be better. Wouldn't mind doing something like that but the M51A2 is too short for that kind of tricks. Have to find me a long-bed truck

davesgmc

6 inch exhaust stack with no muffler IS in the near future. You ever heard a 2 stroke detroit with no muffler? last time I did that at full throttle you can hear it 1 mile away! It is also going to get anotehr air filter assy mounted to the other fender too.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good. Your earlier pictures show the exhaust just in front of the right rear wheels. Never liked that place. If you would be passing a cyclist while getting up speed, you would either suffocate them or blow them off the road (or at least paint them a bit black :wink:)

davesgmc

the exhaust down under the cab makes for a not so noisy going down the road on a long trip actually. I wont be doing away with it, but tee-ing off the exhuast into a straight pipe, a flange with a solid plate will be in the flange when I dont wanna hear the noise, and plug muffler off at pipe, then when I wanna hear noise take solid plate out and they will hear me coming for miles. might also add a spark plug and propane tot he exhaust stack so i can roast some trees ging downt he road at full throttle