• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

dma251

OK I'm hooked! I need more! I need more! you cant stop now!
Oh god I feel cold! Just give me a small video to tide me over.
roflrofl

:grin: Okay, give me a week or two to get it back and you will see plenty!

I am in the process of gathering up the additional trans fluid filter and new hose so we can get filtering on the cooler-out line, and the trans is being built right now. Should have some install action going on in about a week.

The list of things that needed replacing include the trans case, the stator, the pump, the valve body, the flexplate, and on and on.... The case was surprising, but it was in a serial number range that had a notorious cracking problem in a specific area, and Allison issued a repair kit for it, but the kit+labor is more $$$ then the $800 for a used case of newer design.

Oh well.... I sold my car (1992 Honda accord) to a friend of mine to pay for this.... I haven't driven it in 4 months anyway since I got a new(er) pickup..... Hope gas prices don't increase... It's worth it to have a functional HEMTT instead of a very large garden sculpture....

Crash_AF

While we're on the subject of Allisons, I've got to refill the tranny in the 936A2 and was wondering if what the Allison rep said about using C4 ATF in it held true for that transmission too?

Thanks,
Joe

jwaller

While we're on the subject of Allisons, I've got to refill the tranny in the 936A2 and was wondering if what the Allison rep said about using C4 ATF in it held true for that transmission too?

Thanks,
Joe

I asked the allison dealer here that same question and told me to put dex 3 in mine.

dma251

Allison says the best fluid is Castrol Transynd (of course they do), but the next best option is DEX3 C-4 approved ATF. That's from Allison Factory Tech Support, and the Allison shop fixing mine. I know that stands apart from what the military TM says, but like I said before, that is because the military TOLD Allison what fluid they needed their transmissions to run on, not the other way around. Allison approved 15-40 HDEO only for the military, and they did it with their arm behind their back.

It felt real good to stop worrying about this darn fluid issue and just do what the manufacturer says to do... Sometimes the internet makes things MORE confusing... To many options and opinions sometimes.

Jones

Our very latest L. O. for the HEMTTs still says OE/HDO-15W40 for the transmission.
But again, that's the military telling Allison what fluid they intend to run, for their convienence, and that Allison will agree to sanction it's use if it likes building transmissions for the military.

Since it sounds like a whole flock of Allison techs will be there in person for the rebuild, install and set-up, and test drive; they're fully aware of the intended hook-up, vehicle/power plant it's going in/up against and it's specs.
As Allison is warrantying their work with all this in mind; I think it would be foolish to throw that warranty into the wind (not to mention Damon's time and $$$ investment in the transmission) by NOT following Allison's recommendations to the letter.
If the transmission develops problems down the road (perish the thought), it's going to be Allison that Damon will be talking to; not some motor pool sergeant.

Last edited:

dma251

When I get time I will look up the actual temperature tolerating ability of ATF vs. 15w-40. I'd like to see from the actual specs which oil is better equiped to handle the temps, and what those max temps are.

Just out of curiousity.

dma251

Well, I made a trip down to my surplusser buddy and scored an excellent condition aluminum com shelter that will fit real nice into the back of my hemtt! The inside and outside are in very clean condition, just waiting for my imagination to remodel the inside and make it my RV module.

I got it for $600, and I think that was a good deal. It still has all the electrical/lights/shelves inside, and the 3-color camo is in good enough condition I doubt it even needs paint.

I would estimate it is around 12-14 feet long. Anyone have any idea how much they weight?

I plan on a complete redo on th interior with hardwood floor, a nice rug, a recliner, maybe a couch to sleep on. My dad has a propane furnace and refridgerator for it, and I have a small honda generator so I can run 110 and 12v. I think this project will keep me going for another year or two at least.

I'm thinking of the complete "Man-Cave" package with a flatscreen tv and maybe some Dogs Playing Poker prints on the walls!

scooter01922

Removable man cave module?????? Holy shat man, just when i thought that was the absolute coolest MV anyone could ever hope to attain you drop that bomb.:not worthy:

Keep up the great work, you MV restoring god.:-D

dma251

I can't take all the credit. Another hemtt on the East coast did the same thing with his hemtt. It's a great idea, really. Plus it firmly moves my hemtt into the legal classification of RV in Washington state, and so no CDL is required (not that I pay much attention to that crap anyway....)

It's a neat project that will keep my fires lit nicely for a good while, Plus it make the hemtt much more "useful" to me.

dma251

Here's some pics from today - the transmission was in when I left the shop this afternoon, and tomorrow I will be getting some new hoses made to allow the use of the new Allison Required ATF cooler output filter. Allison requires a filter be added inline from the cooler to the trans return line any time there is a prior transmission failure that m ight have deposited debris in the cooler.

The Allison guys are coming up to the shop on Wednesday to oversee the final fluid fill and adjustments of the trans and test drive it. They are driving a couple hundred miles to my location to do this, but I feel really good about having them do the final setup and adjustments.

More pics to come tomorrow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks