• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

Jones

Looks like Spicer 1700 series u-joints. Plentiful, inexpensive, and easy to change.
Nice looking trans there dma251. Hope it's the cure for all your gearbox woes.

tm america

super nice job .looks like a new truck those remote spot lights are great i got one on my rv it does spot or flood . i think it's gonna find it's way onto my deuce pretty soon just need to make a battery bow for my 12 volt battery i'm gonna put under the hood .what other upgrade are you going to do

grounded

Banned
WOOO HOOOO glad to see that you got it back :twisted:.... it should be all good to go by time i get there. you got 10 days then ill be there to get my truck rofl

OK OK just a ride but still.

dma251

Well, update time again....

It is all done transmission-wise and back home safely. I put 100 miles or so on it yesterday running errands like picking up dogfood at the Petco and my favorite brand of malt-liquor (sparks)... I have to admit, with this new tranny, this is the ultimate commuter/grocery-go-getter.....

I got it out on the freeway also, and ran it easily up to about 70 mph as told by my gps navigator. Much faster then my previous two MV's would take me.

Now it is time to begin addressing some of the other projects I have in store for this rig - much updates to follow soon.

By the way - any MV'ers in the Pacific Northwest would be doing themselves a huge favor to check out

Pacific Powershifts in Tacoma if/when they need some expert help on any transmission/transfercase/axle work. I can't speak highly enough about Jim, Scott, Greg, and the rest of the guys there. They really did make this happen.

Not only did they build me a great transmission that takes my specific requirements and preferences into consideration, but they also drove over 200 miles to come up to the shop and inspect the install and make some very critical adjustments and checks before sending me out into the world with their hardwork and my hardspent money. Without their help, I would no doubt be dealing with this over and over again.... Seriously, they really know how to do it right.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way other then I am a very VERY satisfied customer. Seriously, I've been jerked around by a lot of companies while doing this project, and these guys treated me first-class from the beginning. First off, they let me go back into the shop and talk to the people that will be doing the work, which is something that a lot of shops don't take the time. Second, they were willing to take as long as I needed to explain and discuss the trans plan. They didn't try rushing me out. Third, their prices are really reasonable for the expertise I received. I have never recommended a company on here before, but I strongly advise all you guys to consider them if it's got gears in it, and you don't know how to do it.

Last edited:

dma251

Here's a couple pics of the com shelter on board. I lifted it off my car trailer and set it on the back of the hemtt with the crane. It handled it no problem, even boomed all the way out.

It was a real easy lift. I still have to order some 1" threaded J-hooks from Mcmaster-Carr to bind it down, but for now it's the ratchet-strap method. My biggest challenge is getting it into my garage. It fits, but it's close.

I did some other work on it today, but I will have to post the pics tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

Attachments

Jones

I'd pay you a compliment but I'm too busy drooling and stepping on my own tongue.
Great job !!!

Can't wait to get both yours and the baby HEMTT together for a photo shoot.

srodocker

WOW...is the simplest i can put my expression after reading the whole thread from 1 to 40...took an hr to read even had to take a bathroom break :oops: i live down in olympia and im definatly going to have to get a ride in that thing!!! hahahah that is a massive beast...i want you to restore a deuce whenever i get one hahaha...

well that is a amazing vehcile and if i may ask have you been keeping tab on how much money you are actually putting into with the price of the vehicle?

thanks! scott

dma251

WOW...is the simplest i can put my expression after reading the whole thread from 1 to 40...took an hr to read even had to take a bathroom break :oops: i live down in olympia and im definatly going to have to get a ride in that thing!!! hahahah that is a massive beast...i want you to restore a deuce whenever i get one hahaha...

well that is a amazing vehcile and if i may ask have you been keeping tab on how much money you are actually putting into with the price of the vehicle?

thanks! scott
Thanks Scott, I appreciate the kind words. Anytime you're up in my neck of the woods just let me know ahead of time and we'll take that ride.

As for how much $$$.... It's a depressing thought. I bought it for $26,000 two years ago after selling my boat... Since then I have probably put $30K-$35K into it including this latest (and hopefully last) major expenditure.....

For all those who don't know me, I am but a lowly 3rd shift security officer at the Boeing Co... Not exactly Ritchie Rich... I did all this with overtime money and tax-returns, selling crap I don't need, selling my previous MV's, etc.... Someday I plan on getting that money back.

Ultimately, I try hard not to think about how much has gone into it.... Just the fun I am getting out of it!

srodocker

Totally understood about the money part as im selling my sub/amp outa my truck to get the start of my unneeded things. The most depressing part for any project is you never get what you put into it :oops:

dma251

the million dollar question is......... will you get mud on it?!?!?

Are you kidding? It's filthy right now! I am missing the front two mudflaps that go on the front fenders, and it is looking horrible. As soon as I get a chance I am going to get my pressure washer out and give it a bath.

I will be painting the "man-cave" module asap. I still have a few gallons of 383 green left over, and I will tarp the truck off and shoot it as soon as we get a few dry days here. It's garaged, but the moisture in the air is pretty high right now.

I need to repaint the doors, fuel tank, and the wheels anyway. I'll put the camo pattern on the shelter later.

dma251

Totally understood about the money part as im selling my sub/amp outa my truck to get the start of my unneeded things. The most depressing part for any project is you never get what you put into it :oops:

Not trying to be cocky, but I think I will get my money back out of it. These trucks aren't cheap when you can find them. I've been contacted by a couple people already about wanting to buy it.

At this time it's not for sale.

Now that the economy is in the tank, I may have to keep it for a decade or two! Thats okay with me!

dma251

It's one of those things where the moment I saw a picture of a hemtt years ago I knew that one day I had to find a way to get one. I really just fell in love with the look of these trucks. In fact the day I bought my first MV, a M35 deuce from a guy in San Francisco I even told him that my dream was to have a hemtt... He said he dreamed of one too, but I would never find one.... I really liked my deuce and 5-ton, but the whole time I really dreamed of having a hemtt...

I have to say that now that i have one, the only way I could possibly top it would be with a M1070 HET.... Someday I will have one....

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough and are willing to do what it takes to get it.... That applies to lots of things in life.

I also know that the moment I sell it, I will have seller's remorse like nobody's ever seen.... I really need to get that HET lined up before I could imagine selling the hemtt!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks