• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

Your Striker avatar looks exactly like the Striker 3000 ARFF that we use at Boeing. Each plant got two of them. Nice looking trucks.
Yup thats what it is, driving it was like piloting the Space Shuttle. It had buttons and switches everywhere. But even with all the weight from the water, foam, and dry chem it was still FAST. The only truck we had that could out accelerate it was our E-one 4x4. (Drag racing ARFF Trucks down a runway is FUN) We had trouble keeping belts on its CAT engine though and it seemed to eat relays. I got the belt issue fixed but never was allowed to mess with the electrical. I'm not at the department anymore anyway.

Craig C

I'd say the HEMTT is much more useful than a HET. At least with a HEMTT you can haul your MANCAVE around or anything else and still not be too large. Y ou don't need a trailer to pull behind like the HET.........OR, OR, are you looking for something larger to put on a HET trailer......Gentlemen, I think he has other ideas of still more toys in his future.

dma251

I'd say the HEMTT is much more useful than a HET. At least with a HEMTT you can haul your MANCAVE around or anything else and still not be too large. Y ou don't need a trailer to pull behind like the HET.........OR, OR, are you looking for something larger to put on a HET trailer......Gentlemen, I think he has other ideas of still more toys in his future.

HAH! I wish it were true.... I have toyed with the idea of a getting a British Chieftain one day, but there is NO WAY I could swing the bucks to have a HET and a tank.... Remember, I am but a lowly security guard....

I am very content with what I have....

Craig C

Well at least you have that beautiful HEMTT. What a great job. If you haven't looked, there are some great HET pics on that link I posted.

Elwenil

Ok, I really have to ask since I didn't see where anyone else had asked...

Exactly how tall is that thing with the commo shelter? I know a HEMTT is big, and that shelter isn't exactly small and the pics with the phone and cable lines kinda made me wonder if you are going to have to dodge overpasses with that thing, lol.

Beautiful as always, regardless of height. Is it easier to get up on the deck from the rear of from the front? The way door opens ot the rear had me wondering about that also. And one final question, are you going to paint the shelter to blend with the pattern on the HEMTT or paint it according to it's own pattern, or a combination of both? Keep up the excellent work!

dma251

Ok, I really have to ask since I didn't see where anyone else had asked...

Exactly how tall is that thing with the commo shelter? I know a HEMTT is big, and that shelter isn't exactly small and the pics with the phone and cable lines kinda made me wonder if you are going to have to dodge overpasses with that thing, lol.

Beautiful as always, regardless of height. Is it easier to get up on the deck from the rear of from the front? The way door opens ot the rear had me wondering about that also. And one final question, are you going to paint the shelter to blend with the pattern on the HEMTT or paint it according to it's own pattern, or a combination of both? Keep up the excellent work!

Yeah, I was kinda worried about that too at first, but it's only 13'6", so it clears everything around here. I talked with the truckers at work, any they drive tall "Empennage" trailers (whatever that means) and they said there isn't anything around that is lower then about 16' in this area. The wires you see are my parent's lines. They are much lower then everything else.

As for the entry/exit, the hemtt comes with a real nifty aluminum ladder that stows under the side of the bed behind the driver's fender. It has little pins that lock into holes in the front skidplate (for cleaning the windshields) and front fenders (for servicing the engine), and on the sides of the bed. So getting up is easy as climbing a 6' ladder.

I will paint the shelter the same as the truck when I get time. I have the shelter off right now and the truck is down in Tacoma getting some work done on the air system. I am not planning on leaving the com shelter on all the time. Only when I want it up there. I like the truck better without it on all the time.

ARYankee

Wow.... I started from the beginning and skimmed through the thread and I'm highly impressed. I don't think I would have the patience to take on such a long, time consuming project. Incredible job!!!! It really looks great! I want one :) If I'm ever up that way I'm definately taking you up on the offer of a ride.

nklpltd

DMA...

I'm just curious of what brand and model of remote spot light you used. I'm looking in to some for a few different projects i have. Also could you please post some pics of how you mounted it on your rig...

Ga EVT

But a lowly security guard for who? Donald Trump? I really enjoy the pictures and stories you guys post about your experiances with old military iron. I only wish I had the money to do it myself.

dma251

No paint on the shelter yet.... sigh..... I have so much on my list. Yes, the hemtt will be at the Arlington airshow in July, I will be there off and on. I don't have the patience to hang there the whole time, but the hemtt will be.

metalsoft

Im looking to expand my mobile repair business into heavy equipment and figured id need a bigger vehicle. So start with a HEMTT right? After looking at all the work my predecessors have put in i know this is going to be a challenge. Thanks to all of you for your dedicated hard work. Obviously a labor of love.

metalsoft

She's a thing of beauty, a face only a mutha could love. Good goin' on this beastie. Hope to start one of my own soon brudda. Best of luck, thanks for posting your pics.

Scarecrow1

After 42 pages of reading ...and a hurting back and swollen little red eyes it occured to me One mans quest became many a man's entertanment......Thanks ...Keep it up you could be an erban legend........8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks