• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uses for Deuces

rustystud

I want to clarify to you, rustystud, that it's not you I'm saying is stupid but that two-wheeling is kind of inherently a risk.

(Full disclosure: I used to own a bike - BMW R50/2, a sweet machine- and rode it down to the pavement one afternoon on a wet and sloppy day. I probably saved my bacon by choosing to sell it shortly thereafter. It might be the reason I'm here today to tell the tale, who knows!? :naner::shrugs:)
I'm very aware of the dangers in driving 2 wheel vehicles ! My father owned an "Indian Chief" after the war and would drive up to visit his sweetheart ( my mother) . He drove over a steel bridge with that funny metal grating in a rain storm and lost total control of the bike. Thankfully he wasn't to badly hurt. My mother made him sell it before she would agree to marry him. So I was never allowed to own or drive a motorcycle until I was grown up myself. My good friend who I have now known for over 45 years had a 250 Suzuki in the 1970's. I wanted to ride it, so we went out into the woods and drove the logging roads. What I didn't know was this one road ended at the cliff. It dropped straight off down to the Snoqualmie river. About a 100ft drop. I was feeling pretty cocky after awhile and was getting up to 60 mph on those dirt roads. When I decided to go down this one road. My friend saw me take off there and tried to wave me down but I didn't see him. For whatever reason I don't know I stood up on the pedals and saw the road just disappeared ! I slammed on the brakes and feel over on the side of the bike still going down the road. It scratched up my buddies bike pretty good but I stopped about 200 feet from the cliff. I have never rode a motorcycle since. I don't think motorcycles are meant for my family !

Another Ahab

. What I didn't know was this one road ended at the cliff. It dropped straight off down to the Snoqualmie river. About a 100ft drop. I was feeling pretty cocky after awhile and was getting up to 60 mph on those dirt roads. When I decided to go down this one road. My friend saw me take off there and tried to wave me down but I didn't see him. For whatever reason I don't know I stood up on the pedals and saw the road just disappeared ! I slammed on the brakes and feel over on the side of the bike still going down the road. It scratched up my buddies bike pretty good but I stopped about 200 feet from the cliff. I have never rode a motorcycle since. I don't think motorcycles are meant for my family !
Brother, you always got the best stories; the greatest, absolutely the best! :beer:

Another Ahab

I'm very aware of the dangers in driving 2 wheel vehicles ! My father owned an "Indian Chief" after the war and would drive up to visit his sweetheart ( my mother) . He drove over a steel bridge with that funny metal grating in a rain storm and lost total control of the bike. Thankfully he wasn't to badly hurt.
The thread is about deuces, and the drift here is in a total skid, but I rode the BMW/2 to the Delaware shore once (3 hours from DC), and unawares crossed the Bay Bridge on MD Rte 50 to discover the deck up there was open metal grate (they've since paved it). I had never noticed that in a car. I noticed it big time on my bike.

This is a 5-mile long suspension bridge that's close to 200 feet above the water at its highest point. That gave me the "willies". I got vertigo barreling along over the water at that height on that open grate (not good).

It killed my beach vacation for the whole week, because all I could think about the whole week was riding that open-grate over the bridge again on my motorcycle to get back home. The End.
My bad; back to deuces. :popcorn:

Last edited:

m715mike

Truck or Treat!!!!

The local Cowboy Church had a "Truck or Treat" event this evening for Halloween. One of the Pastors asked me to bring the Deuce for his display. I also brought a ghillie suit for the kids to wear. There were a couple fire trucks, a tractor truck, a concrete truck, my Deuce and a bunch of smaller vehicles. It looked like all of the little kids had a great time... and got lots of candy!!!

So I ran the batteries down on my truck and now I'm waiting for a buddy to show up with his M35A3 to give me a jump!!

Attachments

rustystud

Truck or Treat!!!!

The local Cowboy Church had a "Truck or Treat" event this evening for Halloween. One of the Pastors asked me to bring the Deuce for his display. I also brought a ghillie suit for the kids to wear. There were a couple fire trucks, a tractor truck, a concrete truck, my Deuce and a bunch of smaller vehicles. It looked like all of the little kids had a great time... and got lots of candy!!!

So I ran the batteries down on my truck and now I'm waiting for a buddy to show up with his M35A3 to give me a jump!!

Well at least you drained your batteries for a good cause !

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thread is about deuces, and the drift here is in a total skid, but I rode the BMW/2 to the Delaware shore once (3 hours from DC), and unawares crossed the Bay Bridge on MD Rte 50 to discover the deck up there was open metal grate (they've since paved it). I had never noticed that in a car. I noticed it big time on my bike.

This is a 5-mile long suspension bridge that's close to 200 feet above the water at its highest point. That gave me the "willies". I got vertigo barreling along over the water at that height on that open grate (not good).

It killed my beach vacation for the whole week, because all I could think about the whole week was riding that open-grate over the bridge again on my motorcycle to get back home. The End.
My bad; back to deuces. :popcorn:
I rode that ten years ago on my shovelhead going out to visit relatives south of Chincoteague. The bumps of the bridge weren't too bad but it was 30mph crosswinds the whole way back and I HAD to be at work on Monday and dog sitter was leaving Sunday day afternoon. It took 8 hours to do what is usually 4.5 and the temps were 15 degrees colder than Friday night going out but I made it. First and last weekend trip on the shovel.
Bulldogger

And now back to deuces...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Uses
Didn't know I had another new project until I got it all for free.
I was surprised that all but one could hide in the bed.
I like being able to move really long heavy stuff,
hidden in plain sight.
wood 3 unnamed.jpg
wood 4 unnamed.jpg
wood 5 unnamed.jpg

I like to do so it fits 13' 9" cati-corner
and the 16' 1" board hangs over.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks