Just picked the next bike to restore. I’m calling this “Bike 4”. I don't count mine and my buddies that I’ve already completed. I found the easiest way is to see if the engine will attempt to crank and then go from there. I just replaced the drain plug with a magnetic low pro one from Eagle Mike, put in new oil, put in a new Deka sealed battery, replaced the fuses and then jumped the battery straight to the starter. I also found out Tiny Pic is shutting down. All of my pictures are hosted there so I’m not sure if they will disappear or not. Either way this one is in rough shape.
So I started the tear down of “Bike 4” (really the 6[SUP]th[/SUP]one) and it went as well as expected. Everything was a pain in the ass and nothing worked! I’ll paint it tan like mine (correct for the 03 Iraqi invasion). It’s a bit cold here so I’ll have to take it to a buddy’s house for cleaning and paint. Then the tedious process of mechanical and cosmetic restoration begins. All of the gas tanks I currently have are more of a green tint so I think I will monsterline / linex this to match the tan paint. I also took mine out to Grants, New Mexico last weekend and had to battle some giant rocks on the way up the mountain pass in Zunni Canyon. That specific trail is not big bike friendly!
I got the bike torn down as far as it will go. I busted the tires off by hand. The last person that changed the tires forgot to add the rim strip and left a few pieces of the old one in there. I then began the tedious process of starting paint. First I sanded down the parts that needed it, used rust reformer, put down 2 coats of black or grey CARC zinc primer, 2 coats of CARC flat black or tan, and then used 2 coats of flat black high heat paint for the exhaust parts. I also got some marine grade vinyl to recover the seat. I looked over one of the two bikes I have left that I haven’t restored and found a inventory tag. I’ve found a few of these on the bikes. This UIC code is from Headquarters Company, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. I’ve already ordered a good amount of parts. I should have the parts need to start reassembly and hopefully this upcoming week I will have a rolling frame.