• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Restoration Project

commando-72

Believe it or not, this range target still had its transfer case, (I wouldn't have purchased it if it didn't). I climbed inside and it turned smoothly enough so I thought I was lucky. Weeks later, when removing it, I noticed a .50 cal size hole in the back that I didn't notice on initial inspection. Nuts :x , I thought the input gear must be toast. I opened the case, pressed out the shafts and bearings and removed the gears one by one. They looked great, no chips, cracks etc, and hardly any wear.... but I wanted to make sure. I had everything NDT'd. No problems. So it was a relatively simple matter of sand blasting, welding up the hole (I had someone familiar with welding cast iron do the work), some powder coating and all new bearings and seals. Here are some pics.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
commando-72 said:
...this range target still had its transfer case, (I wouldn't have purchased it if it didn't).
Are you serious about this? Are transfer cases for the V-100 so rare that if you did find one without the T-case, it's pretty much a useless endeavor? Wow...

Great work on rebuilding the T-case, that is going to work better than new!

commando-72

maddawg308 said:
commando-72 said:
...this range target still had its transfer case, (I wouldn't have purchased it if it didn't).
Are you serious about this? Are transfer cases for the V-100 so rare that if you did find one without the T-case, it's pretty much a useless endeavor? Wow...

Great work on rebuilding the T-case, that is going to work better than new!
Thanks!
I've been told that V-100 t-cases are VERY rare. I've also heard rumors that one sold for over $12k not too long ago :eek: That's an expense I didn't want to budget for. I'm also installing a bigger turret/basket and I don't have the room/flexibility to engineer an alternate power transfer system. I needed to count on the space and dimensions of the orginal unit.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case is THE hardest part to find.

Okay, "bigger turret/basket"..... I'm trying to be patient, but...! :)

Cheers

L1A1

Commando-72
Your restoration is really comming along. You are an insparation to the rest of us keep up the great work!

As for the transfer case, from what I've read (here and other sites) it was a design unique to the V100 armored cars and therefore not a whole lot of them were made/ordered.
Matt

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I searched for just the right words, but all I could come up with is :shock:

Keep the pics coming, this is great.
Cheers

commando-72

Again, thanks guys. Here's some more....
Most of the lifting rings on the hull were bent, so I cut them all off and welded on new ones (laser cut from 1" thick 4130 steel plate). I relocated the front rings to a position that made much more sense and added two additinoal tie-down rings on the left and right side. I did this for both front and rear. I also made new hinges, latch handles, door-stops and hand rails that were welded to the hull as well. I've inculded a few sample pics.

I also decided to beef up the headlight guards and make them capable of accomodating the modern composite lights. It's not original configuration, but I like the way it looks. Since I'm completely remanufacturing this vehilce, I'm building it the way I want it...

Attachments

commando-72

Not being able to find any armored gas tank covers, I decided to make some, (but in this case, they will be armored "fuel" tank covers). I found some domed steel pipe ends that were the right diameter. I had them chamfered to fit snuggly and then I weled on a handle and some hinges. I also welded a drip/run catcher to the hull. The next step is to buy a couple of filler cap and neck assemblies.

Attachments

wgtactical said:
cranetruck said:
Amazing, kind of redefines the word "restoration"..like going beyond the original. :)
No doubt! I dont know that I've ever seen this level of attention to detail 8)
I think i know someone else that goes to this level of attention. And probly will on his 8) 8) ..

But yes this is a VERY nice build. Very nice attention to detail

Elwenil

Excellent fabrication work. I'm not sure I agree with the placement of the extra rings on the sides of the hull, but then, it's not my build. The fuel cap is way cool though. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks