• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Restoration Project

commando-72

Transfer Case Test Fit

Sorry for the pause guys. I took some vacation.....
OK, Here we go...
I welded in a new/thicker mount for the transfer case and it's time for a test fit.
Fits like a glove....

I also had the power steering cylinder rebuilt and new drivelines made up.

More pictures after some dinner....

D.

Attachments

commando-72

M813rc said:
Hmmm.... Sure is a big hole in your roof..... Hmmmmm......
:lol: You noticed eh?

Here are some pictures of that big 'ol hole...
Starting with the chalk outline, then some reinforcement (note the old location of the cross beam). I welded in a much heavier one... and finally the finished rough cut. Working a plasma cutter is oh-so-nice.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see....I'm guessing either a 20mm M139 mount from a M114, or a British Rarden 20mm gun turret. Either would be cool!

Elwenil

Hmm, I won't begin to guess since there are so many choices out there. Most tank turrets would be too large and heavy, but obviously something large is in the works considering the larger hole and reinforcement. I know a few that I would like to see in some form or another. I like the look of a Bradley turret, but I think it would be a bit out of proportion and probably made of unobtainium. A LAV-150 turret would be the most logical and the 90mm gun would be a very impressive touch or maybe the 20mm version from either the LAV-150 or LAV-300. Likewise with the Canadian Cougar 76mm gun turret.

commando-72

THE TURRET

Another collector purchased the original twin .30 turret off my hull before I even set eyes on it. So I had a turret-less vehicle. But I found something even more interesting and exciting...... Something not too big and not too small. It's juuuuust right. :)

It's the prototype 25mm test rig for the Bradley. It's serial number 001. It's fully hydraulic, (traverse and elevation) with a gyro stabilized mount for the M242 Chain Gun. In addition to restoring the turret, I've been collecting the needed pieces for the cannon, and later on...way down the road, it will be registered and "live" in some form or another.

The turret is comprised mostly of thick aluminum armor, with alloy steel ballistic plates supplementing the front and critical areas.

Apparently, this turret has made the rounds within the armored vehicle community, mounted on several different vehicles including a former V-100, (minus the magazine).

The only major cutting I had to do was to shorten the 25mm magazine by 8 inches to make it fit the shallow profile of the V's hull, clear the prop shaft and leave enough room for a slip ring, (still looking for one BTW).

I completely stripped out the interior and re-primed and painted with glacier white epoxy. The turret basket, magazine and everything else that bolts on has been powder coated. I installed new periscopes and a newly built, fully functioning M36 gun sight.

I'm also in the middle of re-building the elevation and traversing motors. I've got the original wire harness so I'm pretty confident I'll get this thing working again. With the complexity of the hydraulic system and high power requirements, this project is turning out to be as big as the V-100 itself. I'm splitting my time between the two projects..... I need a clone.

Here are some pics of the work I've done so far....

D.

Attachments

Elwenil

Well now, that is interesting. similar to what I was thinking with the Bradley turret idea, but I like the smaller appearance and it should look great on the V-100. Your attention to detail is very nice and I can't wait to see more as this project progresses.

EZFEED

WOW, you really do put allot of attention into detail, not a dent or ding anywhere to be see! Looks almost like a new turret!

How the heck do you get the metal that straight? Never seen a unit as cherry as that, that didnt have a little dent on the ammo boxes or flaw in the deck grating. Exceptionally nice bro!

commando-72

Spent a little time doing some upholstery this weekend. This is a before and after shot of the pad/s that will be installed around the vision blocks (inside the vehicle). I stripped off the old foam, glued on some new and covered with a tough vinyl.

Attachments

kcimb

How does it look on the vehicle? And how do you go about putting an AOW (Thats what I'm assuming it is) together with the good graces of the BATF?

commando-72

I haven't put the turret on the hull yet. That's way down the road, (after I complete the engine install and drive lines). I'm also planning on getting the vehicle inspected and licensed before I install the turret as to better my chances and not freak anyone out.

When everything is done, I'll turn my attention to the main gun. Since the bore diameter is over .50 inches and it's a rifled barrel, the gun will be registered as a "destructive device" not an AOW. The work will be done by a licensed class II manf. who has experience with large caliber weapons. I haven't decided if it's going to be a semi-auto or simple bolt action/breech loader. It will be designed so that when I travel on the hwy, only the barrel will be installed. The gun itself will be kept separate until I drive onto the range and I'm ready to open fire :lol: .

kcimb

commando-72 said:
I haven't put the turret on the hull yet. That's way down the road, (after I complete the engine install and drive lines). I'm also planning on getting the vehicle inspected and licensed before I install the turret as to better my chances and not freak anyone out.

When everything is done, I'll turn my attention to the main gun. Since the bore diameter is over .50 inches and it's a rifled barrel, the gun will be registered as a "destructive device" not an AOW. The work will be done by a licensed class II manf. who has experience with large caliber weapons. I haven't decided if it's going to be a semi-auto or simple bolt action/breech loader. It will be designed so that when I travel on the hwy, only the barrel will be installed. The gun itself will be kept separate until I drive onto the range and I'm ready to open fire :lol: .
You Could just dump 8k$ or so for a semi m2HB and still win the prize for coolest DD ever....belt fed .50 cal MG.

There's also a 20mm Bolt action rifle made by...uhh..Anzio arms. Neat weapon, buying an existing weapon and modifying it to fit your turret would probably be easier than building something to fit your vehicle and turret. Oh yeah, reloading a bolt action mag fed rifle would be a little easier than reloading an m2hb or any kind of belt fed weapon, although your ROF wouldn't be nearly as much.

(Too bad you couldn't find a Cadillac gage UGWS turret from the AAV/ASV....)

Looking forward to the next installment on your project. Is this a weekend/after work sort of project?

scooter01922

holy crap man, that thing is about the most badass MV i have ever seen. I just wish you were closer because i would like to see it in person once its done and shake your hand. Keep up the stellar work [thumbzup]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would have to be a semi-auto 25mm cannon, which is still legal as a destructive device. HOWEVER, still can't have it full auto - since 1986 the FOPA has forbit any new construction of full-auto weapons for civilian ownership, that includes anything over .50 cal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks