• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valence's M66 Gun Ring

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence,

Any luck coming up with something to put on the barrel clamp other then the heat shrink tubing? I'm getting ready to install my gun ring and have a freshly parkerized 1919 I don't want to muck up when using the barrel clamp.

Another Ahab

Valence,

Any luck coming up with something to put on the barrel clamp other then the heat shrink tubing? I'm getting ready to install my gun ring and have a freshly parkerized 1919 I don't want to muck up when using the barrel clamp.
Hey, bigmike, if we're not breaking any rules or anything can you treat us to a pic; you know, please?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Another Ahab

That looks like it's for a convoy light or antenna. Definitely not for a gun ring.

Well, you could throw gun rings AT that pole and, you know, make that into a game during rally season or something.

Or is that maybe not such a good idea?

:popcorn:

gun.jpg

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, where did you get the straps that hold down the ammo cans? They look similar to the pioneer tool kit straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, where did you get the straps that hold down the ammo cans? They look similar to the pioneer tool kit straps.
They are similar, as they use the same 1" wide nylon strap and buckles, but I don't know about the length, I didn't measure them. I got mine from TNJ Murray's, as well as several other needed and awesome parts as linked in this post on page 3:

Ammo can tray straps. These look a better fit for the tray above than the M36 tray, since when undone the holes in the tray will prevent the straps from falling away and being easily lost.
P/N: 8690471/8690458
http://www.tnjmurray.com/militaryve...roduct/id/58E9DCE7-09CF-BDE4-E3A9A9AB83C5E694
View attachment 617727

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, I figured these would be custom made. I always forget these guys have some of the more hard to find stuff. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had taken a number of up close shots of my M66 gun ring including the pintle/pedestal mount cap and hand brake. I thought it may be of use to also share with others who might be looking for such detail, and yes, I did mount my new "100 CAL .50 LINKED" ammo cans :) )

Note: the hand brake in the UP position is released, and DOWN for engaged. The lock lever on the pedestal mount is UP for engaged and DOWN for released.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wanted to point out how after driving through a pouring rain storm the spring barrel clamp appears to have corroded badly. To me, this shows shoddy workmanship from BMGParts.com. It appears they just parkerized over the old rust and never actually cleaned the thing up. Disappointing, especially for the price paid ($150). Now I need to get that properly taken care of before I plastidip it.

image.jpg

Goldy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, since your truck was originally equipt with a ring, do the windshield handles match right and left? I have a marine TI that says you have to change the right side to a flatter one to clear the front leg on the mount. Can you shed any light on this? I have a ring on the way and would like to do as good an install as you have done. I have read and re-read your thread and every time I do I learn something else. What a great install thread. Thank you for your hard work and I hope you can solve this issue.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, since your truck was originally equipt with a ring, do the windshield handles match right and left? I have a marine TI that says you have to change the right side to a flatter one to clear the front leg on the mount. Can you shed any light on this? I have a ring on the way and would like to do as good an install as you have done. I have read and re-read your thread and every time I do I learn something else. What a great install thread. Thank you for your hard work and I hope you can solve this issue.
Thanks Goldy for the compliments, it means a lot to me! None of it is perfect, I made mistakes, cut a few corners, but largely would do the same thing over again.

I will take some pictures of both left and right-side windshield hinges, but my initial guess is that they are stock/original and the same. Remember, the military or, presumably, the Utah National Guard, were the ones to cut the hole in the hard top and add a gun ring without also adding any of the cab-reinforcement measures. So I wouldn't expect any other instructed change to be made. But, I did not have any clearance problems when I installed the front right leg, other than it being so long it almost hit the fender before the first hole for the pin rested on the top of the clamp.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My left and right wind shield hing "wingnuts" look to be the same to me. I mean, they are pretty "flat" I suppose. However, they are one item that I've paid little attention to so I can't comment how or if they are different from other trucks.
2017-09-11 19.41.02.jpg 2017-09-11 19.41.10.jpg 2017-09-11 19.41.34.jpg 2017-09-11 19.41.42.jpg

The wingnug It is about 1-7/8" from the windshield frame to the outside of the wingnut. Edit: There *IS* one difference, the passenger side has a shorter bolt with about 2-3/16" sticking out from the windshield frame vs the driver's at about 2-1/2".
2017-09-11 19.43.18.jpg 2017-09-11 19.42.14.jpg

There is about 1/8" of clearance from the bolt shaft to the gun ring leg, but nothing is touching.
2017-09-11 19.43.38.jpg 2017-09-11 19.40.40.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks