• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

sandcobra164

Not sure if you need them, I've got 2 duck cloth end curtains NOS NIB that I'll send to you for the cost of postage. Awesome thread, let me know if you need them and good luck finding a matching bed cover. They smell like grease, not sure what that's about but they are new as can be.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:mad:......................:lol:

Okay, after the big event, paint over the armor unit marking, paint the "8th" on it, install those free yellow lights and paint the dang nose yellow!
No promises but there is no reason why I can't. Once I have the yellow lights, it's just a matter of doing the work to pay tribute to another unit. To tell the truth, that yellow nose is kinda cool. I'll do the research on the 8th and see what i can come up with for next year.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if you need them, I've got 2 duck cloth end curtains NOS NIB that I'll send to you for the cost of postage. Awesome thread, let me know if you need them and good luck finding a matching bed cover. They smell like grease, not sure what that's about but they are new as can be.
Thank you for the offer. Down side is, i don't hve any bows for the back. For the short term, i was just going to get the cab tarp and beep the bed open. Maybe pick up a green cloth tarp of the kind used then.

PM sent, what the heck, might get some bows somehow and be able to do it up right.

lacoda56

Just wanted to add my two cents. I think it's great that you're willing to make your truck a tribute to our Viet Nam vets. That's kinda what I had in mind with mine, even though my brother was a marine. Remember, you don't have to do it all at once. Get it close with the 24087 paint and go from there. If you have a hard top for the first couple parades, no one will notice. If you don't have the lights or nose paint the way you want it, you can change it later. The main thing is your heart is in the right place and I want to say thank you for what you're trying to do!

Ron

AceHigh

It will make some sense to get a modern cargo cover kit with vinyl top and all the hardware. I use the vinyl top all year, then put the canvas top on just for the summer as needed. Might save some money over the long run.

I don't think anyone is selling the canvas with bows kit.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so now we have a time line on West Coast mirrors and yellow headlights.

Someone out there has some bows, hopefully you can get your hands on them.

If anyone has any more pics of in country deuces, please post them!

Driver523

If you decide to do a over the road truck from a trans unit (Line Haul) they didn't usually run the canvas over the bed, Like in the 523rd even though it was a 5 ton unit we had a couple deuces, one was used by supply and the other belonged to the motor pool, they had canvas, just used locally to run errands, parts runs, and pick up and take home the house girls and help then most importantly the floor shows---here's a few more pics------Driver

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're building a tribute to an armor unit, NO yellow nose, 8th group only. In 69-70 we had the yellow lights and a few west coast mirrors.
That's the data I needed. This years tribute will be to the Tankers for family reasons. next year... Yellow nose sounds pretty good. The base paint and stars are 90% of the job. Unit markings on the bumpers is also simple, I know about the stencil maker on here..name escapes me but i'll be getting with him as the summer gets closer. I've got a line on some of the older style mirrors and yellow lights. When appropriate, and depending on the years project, I'll switch parts/lights to match the unit.

This is going to be a long term project...every year till I can't pick up a paint can. Then the torch get's passed to the next generation.

FYI, 4 other projects are ongoing, i like the shotgun method of working projects. Projects are: Vietnam Truck, Marine Corps Truck (mostly done, just touch up and routine maintenance), Air Force Truck, in memory of Lt Col Ken Bourland and Dad's M-211. Oh and the M1009, Cold War truck. Got to stay busy. These are all slow projects, sometimes only one bolt or light gets worked a day, depends on my hands.

Thank you to all on your information and offers for supplies/parts. I'd ike to take each of you up on the parts/supplies, especially the donations. If you have the ability to hang on to them for me, I'll get each and every one. Shipping is the limiter. I'll need to save up to get the items shipped to 82009 (my income is somewhat limited right now). You have my word that if i get it, it will be used on this truck. If i can't use it immediately, it will be properly stored for future use. As i said, different units will be diplayed each year. What i don't need this year, i might next. If in the long term it appears I have something that won't beused, I'll pass it on to another SS member for their project and or tribute.

Jeff

67Beast

The only yellow nosed trucks in VN were part of the Eigth Trans Group. all others were plain OD. The color 24087 is the proper color. The best for that in my opinion is Gilespe 24087. The stars as mentioned were 21" w/the point facing forward. That way it is always pointing up. the doors should have had 10-12" no bigger.everybody had deuces even the air force. The bumper markings and USA numbers on the side of the hood were in three inch stenciled letters in white. The rear bumperetts were usually in 3" but 2" were used if 3 didn't fit. All trucks had canvas cab tops and the rear canvas as well as the bows were optional for the unit mission. and if it was monsoon season. Early trucks had single arm mirrors in the 4X6 size later they got larger and eventually every one who could get them upgraded to west coast mirrors. The first west coast mirrors were perloined from Ten Ton trucks and were way to big for the smaller deuces. The early and even Later linehaul trucks got the worse treatments due to their heavy use on the unforgiving roads and constant service other units just seems to lack the maintaince support for their vehicles. yes they were dirty and abused but unit comanders usually reqired that drivers maintain and clean the trucks as much as possible.
Find a unit you wish to honor and do your research before you begin. You have a reasonable looking truck. Take pride in ownership and make it at least motorpool ready. both mechanicaly correct as possible. then enjoy driving it. Don't forget to use a cargo strap across the rear if you will be hauling " troops " or other passengers. Cargo can be hauled in an open top and stow the canvas untill the weather get bad. My two cents.
Actually you have a few things incorrect with the markings. Hood stars are 20"s and door stars are 14"s, sometimes the 20"s also got stuck on the doors during a motorpool repaint if that was all they had. It was not very common, but will show up sometimes in pics. Hood #'s where 3"s, front bumper #'s are either 4" or 3" depending on the size of the unit markings and what the motorpool had on hand when they added them. Rear bumperettes where usually marked with 1.5" lettering and all other markings, (TP, fuel cautions, batteries, ect.) were done in 1" letters. As for weather to use decals or painted on markings, starting in the early 60's the Army switched over to decals, so most all vehicles had decal markings for items like Hood registration numbers. The stars where also usually applied as decals. The Army stated that there was to be no mixing of the styles. So it was either to be all marked in decals or in paint. Now I'm sure there was some mixing and matching going on even though the Army didn't allow it. The unit bumper numbers can be a mix as they were applied at the unit level, so sometimes matching styles could not be done easily. This is also why you see such variety in those markings. Now once a vehicle went through a rebuild/referbish everything gets thrown out the window for markings because it depends on where it was done. Unit level motorpool repaints usually ended up with a hodgepodge of markings because the units would use whatever was on hand, as to were a depot level reapint was usually remarked correctly as they had greater resources for the repaint and remarking process. If you want to portray a good clean looking truck then I would recomend going with a decal kit compaired to a paint masking kit. You will find the best prices on complete marking kits here: Delta Team Decals index I've been making decal and paint mask kits for military vehicles since 2004.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually you have a few things incorrect with the markings. Hood stars are 20"s and door stars are 14"s, sometimes the 20"s also got stuck on the doors during a motorpool repaint if that was all they had. It was not very common, but will show up sometimes in pics. Hood #'s where 3"s, front bumper #'s are either 4" or 3" depending on the size of the unit markings and what the motorpool had on hand when they added them. Rear bumperettes where usually marked with 1.5" lettering and all other markings, (TP, fuel cautions, batteries, ect.) were done in 1" letters. As for weather to use decals or painted on markings, starting in the early 60's the Army switched over to decals, so most all vehicles had decal markings for items like Hood registration numbers. The stars where also usually applied as decals. The Army stated that there was to be no mixing of the styles. So it was either to be all marked in decals or in paint. Now I'm sure there was some mixing and matching going on even though the Army didn't allow it. The unit bumper numbers can be a mix as they were applied at the unit level, so sometimes matching styles could not be done easily. This is also why you see such variety in those markings. Now once a vehicle went through a rebuild/referbish everything gets thrown out the window for markings because it depends on where it was done. Unit level motorpool repaints usually ended up with a hodgepodge of markings because the units would use whatever was on hand, as to were a depot level reapint was usually remarked correctly as they had greater resources for the repaint and remarking process. If you want to portray a good clean looking truck then I would recomend going with a decal kit compaired to a paint masking kit. You will find the best prices on complete marking kits here: Delta Team Decals index I've been making decal and paint mask kits for military vehicles since 2004.
From all appearance, field expediency was, as it is now, the word of the day. Make it Work. There will be some inaccuracies to the "pure" markings. It will not be deliberate but I think unavoidable when the truck is done. I want a truck that pays tribute to the Men and Women who served. The truck will reflect an Armor unit in 1970. Since my truck is a little rough around the edges, it's going to get a Motor Pool paint and marking job. I will do my best to make it accurate to that unit chosen. I do have some restraints on my project but come the time to show the truck, I'll be able to show a Vietnam War M35 truck assigned to an Armor unit. Every additional item to include a cargo will be added to create a historically accurate display. If a vet walks up and says that it looks just like the trucks he saw at Motor T or on the road, I've met me goal and paid homage to those who served. As this is a multi year project, evetnually the paint will 100%, the markings 100% and it'll be a good looking depot repaired truck.

To all, thank you for your ideas, pictures and information. All will be used in some way (except the Yellow Nose..next year). please keep the ideas and especially the pictures you'd like to send coming. If there are any of the pictures that you would like shown in a scrap book (part of the project is to show the human side of the War) please say so and I'll print them on print paper. I have a scrap book from that neck of the woods, probably from a PX or some vendor, not sure, that will hold those photos. No pictures posted to date will be included, since i didn't ask for your permission. I'm asking now for that permission. If I get your permission, a copy of the scrap book will be digitally created and I'll post some pages so you can see how it came out.

the scrap book will be displayed with the truck.

Lots of ideas and lots of work. If I can catch a break on the weather, I'll be really busy for the next few months.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Driver523

Use what you please of the photos I posted---as I said I have copied many of my Brothers albums, and all agree that the photos need to be seen-----Now here's a truck--BIG MO

Attachments

Driver523

Glad you ask-----------That picture was takin from the top of King Kong (APC truck) and I believe they were up north at that time---around DaNang----someone on here will know

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #1

Hi

To keep track of my two ongoing primary projects, I'm going to number them. There's been a lot of discussion so far, thank you all. Today beginsthe M-211 and Vietnam Tribute truck projects. Please chek out the 211 thread, i'll try and find it and post it here so they link. Anyway, both have the same Post #1. Set up the shop. Crap is laying all over the place and my storage situation needs rearranging. The set of troop seats I picked up will have to be installed on the AF truck, tires stored...etc. Busy day. Winds are nuts today so I can't do anything to the 211 without risking damage to truck or me. Once the work space is set up, I'll get the Vietnam truck in and fix the brakes. Then, it'll go back out to the line till i get the 211 inside. Painting will comense when the winds drop below 25 MPH (gusts are up to 55 right now, no good painting weather; I paint outside) Same goes for changing tires. To risky. Good day for shop prep. I'll post again within the week. Weather should calm down for a few hors later in the week. Going to get those tires swapped out then.

later.

jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks