• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a plan. Remember to take pics.:beer:
Roger on the pics. Got almost 200 so far. I'm documenting everything. Weather goes to **** tomorrow thru Saturday. Might get something done then. Barn's getting better. Actually rolled the AF truck into the barn to put the new A3 seats in...man I LIKE those seats! Thank God for rafters and hoists...one handed install would be a ***** without them!

I really got to find a HEAVY duty heater like we had on the flight line...anybody know of one lying around SE Wyoming of northern Colorado? Barn has no heat and my little heater just don't cut it. Good idea Mods...time for a want add:D

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some info on the interior of the cab, please. Are there any pics out there? I'm looking to see if/where gun (M-16) mounts were installed, if they were, also one of my trucks has a chem bottle on it. Did the trucks in SEA have those? I'm going to use a current fire extinguisher, just can't leave home without it. last question: did all trucks have radios installed? if so, what were they?

Thank you for any help you can provide. i have rifle mounts and the chem warfare bottle, just not sure they are relevent. I don't have a radio and all radios are outside my budget. I might just put a piece of tape on the floor that says "simulated radio":D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the rifle mount installed in mine, you can check it out when you pick up your parts.

vtdeucedriver

Need some info on the interior of the cab, please. Are there any pics out there? I'm looking to see if/where gun (M-16) mounts were installed, if they were, also one of my trucks has a chem bottle on it. Did the trucks in SEA have those? I'm going to use a current fire extinguisher, just can't leave home without it. last question: did all trucks have radios installed? if so, what were they?

Thank you for any help you can provide. i have rifle mounts and the chem warfare bottle, just not sure they are relevent. I don't have a radio and all radios are outside my budget. I might just put a piece of tape on the floor that says "simulated radio":D
If you want it VN correct, leave the M-16 rifle mounts out. Its RARE, but has been present in one pic that I have seen, only a couple more in Jeep's in country. If you want it like it was, the M-16 is hung from the windshield arm by its handle.
Not to long ago, Driver523 posted a pic of the interior of the ACE of SPADES, you could see his rifle hanging as the majority did it.

vtdeucedriver

Ive been trying to find more information on the heavy truck pictured. I dont remember for sure what the number was but I am POSITIVE its a Kenworth and this pic suprised me as I had only known them to be used at the major ports to haul heavy loads off the docks to the distribution areas.

Driver523

That second one may be the same truck---84th engrs HQ 49 ?----HUH? looks like your pic is maybe outta a gun truck--that a 50 down in the corner? Rich that pass is on the way to Tuy Hoa, I think is the same one Flashman was KIA on Cold Sweat

Last edited:

Driver523

Ya know I missed seeing that sign on the front of that truck, I was looking at that gun truck, I don't know if in the convoys I was in would I want that ammo can to the outside of that box

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah---I don't think I ever seen or noticed a gun rack----here's the photo Jeff spoke of and the way I carried mine----------
Makes things easier... I can hang an Airsoft off the window for the display. They're fairly inexpensive and for the most part, accurate looking. I'd hate to hang a real one off there just cause of the beating it'd take.

Do you recall a chem warfare discharge bottle on the floor or somewhere nearby? One of my trucks has it (as well as two gun mounts for M-16/AR-15s). That one came with the SINGCARS (sp?) mount, since removed.

So far, interior wise, basic stuff. The only thing I can see being added, which I have to have, is the fire extinguisher. Sound correct?

I'll post a picture if necessary to help show what I'm talking about (chem bottle).

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #2

Plan of the day is to pull the truck into the barn/shop and fix the leaking brake cyclinder on the right front wheel. I'm still working on a fool proof bleeding system...I think I have one. The VA gave me a bunckh of O2 hose, which I ended up not needing. Add to that a pesticide pump full of Dot 5, I think I can bleed the entire truck. Just have to get out each time I switch between brake cylinders. I'll post a pic if it works.

Update. Plan was to replace one tire on the 211 and spend the rest of the day working brakes. Never made it. Took way more time on the other truck. Plan for tomorrow is up to the weather but I'm going after those brakes somehow.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

No chem bottle or fire bottle either. Only fire bottles I had seen was on tractors that were for POL units. Put a playboy in the glovebox with some c's. You can substitue your fuel can on the running board for a water can. Put ice in it to keep the dust cutters cold. Extra ammo is nice in a can with maybe a m79 for a driver who was a bit more resourceful.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan of the day is to pull the truck into the barn/shop and fix the leaking brake cyclinder on the right front wheel. I'm still working on a fool proof bleeding system...I think I have one. The VA gave me a bunckh of O2 hose, which I ended up not needing. Add to that a pesticide pump full of Dot 5, I think I can bleed the entire truck. Just have to get out each time I switch between brake cylinders. I'll post a pic if it works.
As many deuces as you have, i'd spend the money on a Motive bleeder; you won't regret it. You can try mine if you want.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As many deuces as you have, i'd spend the money on a Motive bleeder; you won't regret it. You can try mine if you want.
Motive bleeder..LOL, sounds like the weather today. OK, should be motivator bleeder:-D.

Who sells them? I never heard of one, I'll have too look one up. Anything to make the job easier is a good thing in my book. I might have something like it already. Too much stuff, gonna have a sale one of these days just to feed the habit.:whistle:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No chem bottle or fire bottle either. Only fire bottles I had seen was on tractors that were for POL units. Put a playboy in the glovebox with some c's. You can substitue your fuel can on the running board for a water can. Put ice in it to keep the dust cutters cold. Extra ammo is nice in a can with maybe a m79 for a driver who was a bit more resourceful.
Magazine with some C's can do. Playboy...hmm gotta sneak that one by the boss. Can do on the Ice. I've got 5 or 6 water cans as well as 7+ fuel cans. Some of them are actually dated late 60's. One each Ice in fuel can holder and the rest will go in the back. M79..that might be hard to get. I'll check to toy/airsoft/repro market and see what's out there. M79 has much more "cool" factor. Shucks, maybe one of each. Also got lots of ammo cans. Everything for .30 to 20 mm. One is a funky size, I'm guessing that's for the 40MM grenades. That'll look good under the pax seat.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks