• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just went thru their website, not sure which one yougot. The link you posted keeps sending me to an industrial products site...not sure that's what you intended. None of the ones on the page are generic, each one is specific for a modle car or truck. Can you narrow down which one it is?

Appreciate the info, I will be getting one. You're correct, with the number of trucks I've got, it's either this or my sons legs are going to look like Hulk's (except the green I hope)

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #2

For some reason, the bed of the truck is painted white..gloss white. looks like a coat of non skid/sealer to protect the bed. But white? That's not going to be fun to fix.. Sand blast is an option so is painting it over... It'll have to wait for the brakes. Winds are bad today but it's warmer, so going to try and get it in the barn to fix that leaking cylinder.

Gun Trucker

Big moe

I think I got an idea about that that Big Mo truck but I gotta do some research before I commit
That big truck is one of a group of Kenworth model 552 series trucks built in the mid '60s for use in the deserts of Saudi Arabia. They never made it to the sand box but their specs did fulfill a need for like vehicles in Vietnam.

The KWs were originally powered by Rolls Royce gas engines but the US government swapped in 220 Cummins diesel engines. The transmision was a 4 speed Spicer with a Kenworth TC 12-3, 3 speed transfer case giving them 12 forward speeds. The big 6X6 vehicles were originally equipped with big fat flotation type tires, hence the tall ground clearance.

Gun Trucker (James)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just went thru their website, not sure which one yougot. The link you posted keeps sending me to an industrial products site...not sure that's what you intended. None of the ones on the page are generic, each one is specific for a modle car or truck. Can you narrow down which one it is?
p/n 0080

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bright white bed is going to go. I'm going to see if semi-gloss green house paint (proper color of course) will stick. If it does, It'll hide the bed untill i can get down to Palamino (shop in Cheyenne that does bed liner stipping) and get it cleaned up right.

Brakes got postponed again. Tomorrow is brake day. :jumpin:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't get to work on the truck yesterday but everything is off the axle. Yup it was a blown cylinder. I've got the parts to rebuild it as long as it's rebuildable. Hope to know that sometime today. Got to go into town and argue with the gooberment. Not a fun proposition. I ain't forgot your offer Jim and I greatly appreciate it. just waiting till i get to that point before running up there. Next couple days will tell. Wasn't able to get the same brake bleeder yet (see argument with gooberment). Grrr. Sometimes bouncy ball is how i feel when dealing with that bunch:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing going on today, too nice a day to let slip on the 211. Brakes will hopefully be ready for bleeding by tomorrow or Thursday, Jim. I'll PM ahead.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good day in SE Wyoming, sunny, warm and hardly any wind..Pure heaven! Got most of the brake job done. All that's left is the adjustments and put the wheel back on. In case any of you are limited in your physical abilities as I am, I've attached pictures of a device I made using a floor jack and a transmission "thingy". Sorry, dead brain cells, can't remember what the heck it's called but it's used in conjunction with the big floor jacks to raise and lower a transmission from underneath a vehicle. Attached are pictures of the "thingy" in operation. Priceless to me cause I can't lift the drums by hand. Yard sale find, cost me $10. Almsot forget, The tranny tool has been changed for my purposes. I just rearranged parts to make it work in this manner. I have all the removed parts so if I ever have to change a tranny, I can.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #4

Another nice day...global warming has finally arrived:jumpin:! Got the wheel cylinder, brake drum and all associated parts on. Bad news..torn inner boot and it's the rubber type, no zipper. I'm not taking the whole thing back apart. I've got 4 of the brand new rubber type, maybe someone wants to swap for a pair of the zipper type? Anyway, once the money flow starts again, I'll be getting a set of the zippered boots.

I had to come up with an alternate means of installing rims/tires onto a Deuce. In other words, I had to come up with a replacement Soldier B. Please let me introduce soldier B: (oh, see pictures)

Attachments

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Glad to see your making progress, it looks good. I think the newish guy with the M109 Imperial Car Destroyer thread might want new rubber boots, check with him.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to come up with an alternate means of installing rims/tires onto a Deuce. In other words, I had to come up with a replacement Soldier B. Please let me introduce soldier B: (oh, see pictures)

So you forgot I live 5 minutes up the road?:roll:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you forgot I live 5 minutes up the road?:roll:
uuuuhhh, yupauaauaaua. Been doing things on my own so long i forget the smart things and remember the dumb thngs.

I think I already posted it but just in case, brakes are bled and I'm ready to bring the bleeder home. Same time frame as before?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks