• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia to Florida and back 2006

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the deuce ready for another Florida trip. If everything goes as planned I'll be leaving Saturday morning, Feb 11th for a visit at Kenny's.
May be able to lend him a hand on his wrecker project, demonstrate the biodiesel process, pick up a 10KW genset among other things. Bring him a 60 amp alternator (take-out).
I'll bring the pipeline truck bed from Kenny to Joel (BFR) in Georgia on the return trip and loading biodiesel goodies from Robert (Rdixiemiller) for Mike (mangus) and myself before heading home.
This will be a test run for the heated fuel tank system and I'll be running on unwashed biodiesel and filtered used cooking oil exclusively.
All fuel will be brought along, stored in "cubies" and several Jerry cans.
Based on last year's trip, 213 gallons of fuel was needed for the 1,738 miles covered. (That's about 8.2 mpg, average. A trailer was in tow on the return trip and my total idle/crane time was about 6 hours).

Plenty of tools will be packed including 3/4 impact and a wheel bearing nut socket.
Spare light bulbs and sealed beam headlights. Spare turn signal flasher units. Extra fuel filters and fan belts.
Roadside emergency triangles. First Aid stuff, fire extinguisher.
Fittings for airlines and fuel line repairs including flaring tools.

Sleeping bag, ear plugs, blanket and pillow (I plan on spending a couple of nights in the deuce).
Clothing and personal gear. Snack food (peanut butter and crackers for breakfast :))
GoJo and paper towels.
Camera. Maps. Log book. Flashlights. Tire pressure gauges, air nozzles and hose.

DVM w/thermocouple adapter and probe

Extra water, brake fluid, engine oil and gear oil. Spare tire.

Extra cab vinyl top to be used when truck is parked (Bikini top is standard). Plenty of "bungy cords".

For the crane: Lifting straps, extra hook (for manual boom extension), chains and load binders.

Tire chains (in case our place is snowed in when returning)
The rear interaxle drive shaft will be removed for the trip, but taken along just in case.

Plus other items that come to mind as the deuce is prepped for the trip.

Concerns: Rear tires are pretty worn, will try to avoid driving at night and in bad weather.

Armada

Good luck Bjorn, and have a safe, and 'uneventful' drive. It will be nice to have some sun and warm weather for a change. Take lots of pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, let me know if there's anything I can do for you and your stay on this end. I'll email you specific question. I'll do my best to have everything cut loose and ready to lift with the crane.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys, I'll keep you posted.
Kenny, unless we get into something really time consuming, I think one day will do it. I should arrive Monday morning as you get off work (if you work Sunday night, that is).

rmgill

Bjorn, I'll extend the offer of a hot shower and fold out bed again if you're passing by Atlanta. I'm on the east side of town, I285 on the Lavista Road Exit. 1842 Briarlake Circle

Hmm, Looks like Google Maps is a hair off. My house is SW of the Pipper that google throws up. My house has the big shiny thing in front on the street. I think that's actually my Honda.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Ryan! I'll have to play it by ear, don't know exactly when I'll be in your area. Plan to be at Joel's in the afternoon, possibly spend the night at his place and head North the following day. Perhaps you can join us at Joel's...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be ready to go a few hours from now, but it's snowing with a couple of inches on the ground, so I delay the start of the trip until the roads are cleared/salted.

First snow of the year on the day of planned departure, of course.

Don't think I'd prove anything by slipping and sliding and driving at reduced speed the first 100 miles of the the trip. Looks like NC got it worse then we did this time.
Anyway, gives me a chance to install/check out my new CB radio. :)

Armada

Great picture Bjorn! Wise decision on waiting. These trucks are not the best thing on slippery roads................ even with good tires :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the day loading oil and biodiesel. Bled one brake line that I left out the other day (line to the pressure gauge). The pressure bleeder works great.
Just need to tie a few things down, take the top off and will leave in the morning.

Attachments

marksgarage2

Snow starting now in NJ. Turned my fuel back down today until I get my pyro gauge installed. Good luck on your trip Bjorn. Suppose to get 12+ inchs here by sunday afternoon. Will post pics!

Wyattearp

hello men, sorry i have been awol once again, things come up and well time gets away from ya, thought i would drop in and see if bjorn made it to Fla. Bjorn good pictures, we have at this time of typing sunday evening at 915pm 10 inches on the ground and the weather channel is showing another band coming down from the north for us tomorrow here, not sure if Floyd will get anymore or not. Hope your trip is going well and you made it safely. Let us know if your able to that you arrived safely....

Hey James,
I was about ready to send a scouting party out to look for you. Stick around eh? We've been saving your log by the campfire just waiting for you to come back and join us. You still have that Avatar of the dog (Beagle wasn't it?) stuck in the chair? That cracked me up.

Yeah, I am a little concerned about Bjorn taking a trip at this time also. I was watching the news and you guys got more than your share of snow. Hope he chimes in soon and gives us a THUMBS UP! [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been out for 2 days but havent heard anything yet. Last time he came he didn't call until he was an hour away. As soon as he calls I'l let every one know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks