• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to put A/C in a M925A1... anyone got pictures of their install?

Artisan

NHC-250 COMPRESSORS;
The military compressor is a #4311, I am told the civilian replacement is a #4409. I am told the #4409 has a duty enhanced clutch on it. If I wanted a compressor today to match the NHC-250 bracket this is what I would look for. I see one on ebay now. I might suggest that folks keep in mind that madcroc is working on the smaller turbo engine and not an nhc-250 and do not get confused. (Nice work Madcroc! KEEP THEM PICS COMING! )

madcroc1

M923A2 Air Conditioning (RED-DOT Bracket)

Ok 1 step closer. I installed my SANDEN 5 cylinder A/C compressor. It is amazing how nice this Bracket kit is. It took me only 5 minutes to install the compress and tighten the bolts and belt. The compressor fit perfectly in the bracket cradle. Pullys lined up perfectly. Fired up the engine and all looks good. Good clearance with the fan. Everything is ROCK Solid. Yes the other guys post is correct. This is on the Cummins 8.3CTA Engine. This engine is smaller than the 250 but from the manual it gets better mileage, I guess from having the smaller engine but also having the turbo. This sucker is quiet and very smooth running. Love the power steering and the smooth Allison Transmission. My rig is one of the cleanest rigs I'v seen on GL. It was overhauled in 2009 by Red River Army Depot, and they did a great job. The steering wheel has an engraving "rinehart IRAQ ".. It must have been over there...

Photo_2013_05_14_20_40_57_5.jpgPhoto_2013_05_14_20_40_57_4.jpgPhoto_2013_05_14_20_40_58_7.jpgPhoto_2013_05_14_20_40_57_6.jpg

Well yesterday I got all the a/c hoses made for my a/c and they were all the correct length so I installed them. Then today I took the truck down to a good friend of mine that owns a repair shop and he is going to flush the system, and charge it. He is also going to get the entire system wired up for me. Finally some serious progress! I also ordered some a/c vents from "hoseline". They are pretty cheap about 6 bucks per vent and I got 4. Also there a/c flex hose is super cheap its 40 bucks for 50 feet. I was looking on ebay and the hose was 40 bucks for 6 feet. Yikes! To find an online catalog of their inventory go to there website or a companys website which is "coyote international" and hoseline has those part numbers in there inventory so it shouldn't be too hard for them to find what you are looking for. Anyway hopefully I can get some cold air soon!

rtbcoop

I have a M923A2. I am planning on putting in Air Conditioning. I Figured I would explain my plan and as I work on it and I will post pictures. I'm a little surprised no one had thought about adding the evaporator coil to the existing heater system. This should make the install simple and there will not be any ugly additional interior evaporator and fan box added inside the cab.

Step 3 - I am planning to rebuild the heater box that exists now under the hood. I am going to enlarge it and add the evaporator coil and air filter. This way there is noting needed to be done inside the cab except a dirverter flap lever and a compressor toggle switch..
Are you planning on keeping the heater in the evap box as well? If so, how do you plan to divert the air from heat to A/C? Are you making your own flap or did you fine one you could buy? I was thinking of doing this same thing but I couldn't find an easy way to do it without recreating the wheel.

bigboy44

I thank everyone who had input on this thread! I want to do the same thing to my 932A1 and contacted bbf for the unit. Thanks everyone.

Well yesterday I went to go check up on the progress on my trucks a/c wiring and refigerant charge. I was surprised that the wiring was about 90% done and they had just charged it. While I was over at their shop they used a jumper wire to engage the compressor clutch and it worked! The lines got ice cold! They said they should have the truck done this coming week then all I have to do is put vents in the dash but that will be easy. I will post pictures after everything is done.

I had to go get my truck from the shop in order to use it in a parade on the 3rd so while I had it I was able to take a few shots of the new wiring. The guys at the shop said they have about another 1-2 hours of work on it until its done. All the hoses installed and charged just waiting to finish the wiring. Here are a couple pictures of the wiring so far and a couple of the air vents I plan to use in the dash.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140472.112100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140499.028793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140538.893747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140554.469851.jpg

Last edited:

madcroc1

Question on your A/C Instal

I see you have a dryer/reservoir type. I understand that modern systems don't really need reservoirs anymore but still need a dryer.

Why are you using a reservoir ? :p

I am curious how you plan build the evaporator / evap box. Since my engine is newer one with a fan clutch, I am not sure if I will put the condenser in front of the truck radiator mainly because there will not ALWAYS be air moving across the condenser. I found a great hidden spot under the middle of the truck. I'm thinking about mounting the condenser with an electric fan in that location.

I have a drive train problem which has caused me to delay working on the A/C install for the moment.

I am using an MTVR kit for my truck. All I have done is retrofitted it in order to fit mine. What I plan on doing to the condensor is either putting an electric fan behind it or tapping into the air solenoid that controls the fan. I got the idea of mounting it on the hood by a member on here who got a truck with a/c already on it from the gov and it didn't have an electric fan and was mounted on the hood. Also the dryer has low and high pressure switches that should in theory prevent any compressor damage or any other damage to the system. The dryer box was already pre-made I just had to get i to fit under the dash. It already had heater, fan, and the a/c coil in it so I thought it would be easier to get it to fit rather than make a new one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373142479.732741.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373142549.294721.jpg

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to love it when it's done. No one will ever want to ride in the back again. I really enjoy mine in the deuce.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go get my truck from the shop in order to use it in a parade on the 3rd so while I had it I was able to take a few shots of the new wiring. The guys at the shop said they have about another 1-2 hours of work on it until its done. All the hoses installed and charged just waiting to finish the wiring. Here are a couple pictures of the wiring so far and a couple of the air vents I plan to use in the dash.
View attachment 438562
View attachment 438563
View attachment 438564
View attachment 438565

Were did you get the little vents, I need some of them.
Thanks,

It was not easy finding them. They are made by a company called coyote international but they only sell wholesale. They referred me to a company called hoseline. They deal in emergency vehicle a/c's. If you look up coyote internationals website they have an online catalouge which corresponds with hoselines.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was not easy finding them. They are made by a company called coyote international but they only sell wholesale. They referred me to a company called hoseline. They deal in emergency vehicle a/c's. If you look up coyote internationals website they have an online catalouge which corresponds with hoselines.
Thanks for the info.!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks