• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weasel in the deep

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing, IMHO, unless you are a diver yourself, I'd hire someone with a lot of diving experience to dive down to it RIGHT AWAY before it gets too cold, to take some pics of it on the bottom, to see if it's worth further effort. If it's rusted apart, wedged in between huge boulders, or it's already been recovered, you might be wasting more time and money on an effort that isn't worth it or just can't be done.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

Lift bags and wide straps is the way to go. If I was closer I'd love to help on that. As said befor get Dirk Pitt , well Clive Cussler and the Sea Hunters. This would be his kind of job.

Hey maddawg308 where is that duster at?? I would love a dive trip.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done vehicle recoveries, etc. Lift bags are the way to go. 32m (104ft) isn't too bad. It pushes sport diving limits but can be done safely with no specialized gear, lifting gear excluded. I used to dive with a crew and work for a company that can do this. We've got u/w navigation, SAR, limited vis, cold water, ice diving, nitrox, and wreck diving covered. Pick up the tab for 4 divers and gear to fly to Norway and we can probably get this done for you. Of course it'd probably cost more than the weasel is worth, but never mind that. It'll be sweet! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

James Delgato, ex curator of the Vancouver Maritime Museum, would be the chap to talk to.
His buddy, Clive Cussler, of the TV series "Sea Hunter" fame ( and a few books),
is just the sort of chap to get involved.

You will have to research this yourself, but those boys will go anywhere for good TV footage,
and already have the skills that you require. do some googling, and ask ...
The worst that they can say is "Not Yet!"

Perhaps the Canadian Navy has a "Recovery Ship" that could be utilized and it could be construed as a "TRAINING MISSION" !!! What do you think Stan? Any connections? He! He! This could be a long thread! I'm sure there is more to come. Walt aka elkhunter PS: John your reply is also funny! You have too much time on your hands there in Texas.

jime

Hey, I got it! I think this boat is available. It's the one that the CIA built for Project Azorian, when they tried to recover that Russian sub from the ocean floor. It's worth a shot. The government could use the cash!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey maddawg308 where is that duster at?? I would love a dive trip.
If I remember correctly it was somewhere off the coast of Lebanon or somewhere closeby there.

I talked to a friend of mine who used to do diving - he says NO GO on the inner tubes for bouyancy. You would need a ton of them, and the chances of them popping close to the surface due to increased air volume would make them poor choices. Lift bags are the only way to go.

As for the muck it may be sitting in, a long hose shooting a jet of compressed water (think pressure washer) would loosen up a lot of the muck around the treads.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I have always considered myself willing to do a lot for a good recovery but I have to say this one would be pushing the limits, even if the weasel is in perfect condition (NOT likely) the cost is going to be really had to make this work to any degree of satisfaction, its going to be challenging BUT I am also going to say that after you inspect the vehicle and it looks worth going after the level of "Satisfaction" of actually getting it up would truly be well beyond words! Great luck and please take lots of pics to post!
KK

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, being 100 feet deep in a northern-located lake would make for an EXCELLENT preservative, as there is less oxygen in cold water to promote rust. If it was salt water, the story would be different, but if this is a freshwater lake, chances are the Weasel is in the same condition it sank in.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to get the Animal-Lovin' organizations of the world to start raising funds for this endangered creature.....

SAVE THE WEASEL !

I can see it now....

Banners

Radio and Television Pleas for FUND$

Billboards

SAVE THE WEASEL !

I see thousands of people parading the streets, marching on Washington DC, going GLOBAL for the cause....

SAVE THE WEASEL !

:nothingfunny:

2cents

No one person should have to bear the expense of this recovery...... Let the FUNDING begin ! ! !

They don't really have to know that they aren't actually saving a REAL weasel.... Most would think they're contributing to save a "furry little friend". Won't they be suprised to find out its really an MV that they rescued............ :doh:aua
:beer:

Last edited:

markaroe

Recovery will need to be in and out before the animal advocates can find out.
They see a bald Weasel coming up and Lord only know what they'll think.
Maybe go down and tie on some fake fur.

Anybody got a set of hydrophones to make contact?

Surface to Weasel, Surface to Weasel,
Weasel are you there?

Maybe a row boat and fishing pole and fake mustache, so as not to be mistaken for a clandestine recovery operation.

Weasel are you there?

Anyone have access to a P3 and some sonobouys?

That Chinook looks like it will make pretty quick work of the recovery.
Send in a diver with a re-breather to hook it up covertly.
POP a self inflating buoy to the surface, hook up and GTHeckOD.
If done after 02:00 no one would ever know.

Weasel are you there?

Looks like a good job for the DUKE.

What language do weasel's speak?

Looks like this is just about a plan.

ALL WE NEED IS A OPERATION PHOTOGRAPHER FOR PICTURES.

Last edited:

M1Kodiak

You know, there is a certain "Bay" that people sometimes dump weasels into, if you know what i mean. It might be cheaper and easier, but of course that would take all of the fun out of it.

What you need is a Diving Bell so you can host a couple of divers down at the weasel for days at a time. That would greatly extend your bottom time for recovery!

thank you very much for all your attention!

staurheim here....

of course i wont overrush anything! the weasel is safe in the deep,and one day i will take a look at it through a scuba mask ,30 mtrs is within reach ,but i will need to have my rotten dry suit diving gear replaced.....one day..
...it must be inspected thoroughly where it is.

i think i would go for boats and pontons and lifting bags, thinking 10-15 meters wire x 2 up to the bags, will ease the filling and only raise the vehicle to 10-15 meters deep.

but where on the weasel should the wires be tied, are there pintle hooks? any hints from weasel owners?
thanks for staying with me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks