• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weasel in the deep

greenjeepster

I have 100 Sherman tanks sunk in Lakes all over the North East for preservation purposes. I will sell them each for 100 dollars cash. You get the location once payment is recieved.
Cash Only Please

RangerBob

:idea:

Send a deuce down to pull 'er out...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKLGYs8CE8[/media]

Lord, I apologize for that right there... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, Norway, ice, thick ice, the weasel probably fell through ICE to get into the lake. Use that ICE to advantage. During warm(er) weather, rig the weasel with cables. Then in mid-winter when the ice is best, use beams and jacks to lift the weasel out of the muck (ice holds up a lot of weight). Orient the beams pointed toward extraction point (think big ski's with beam between them). Saw slots for the cable to move through as the whole assembly is slowly winched toward shore, weasel hanging below.

Or, how far from shore? Wait for warm weather again. With ice gone, once the weasel had been lifted clear of it's silt bed grave it would probably slide along the bottom. especially if the pull were mostly upward. Long cables, big winch, and a large float (large empty fuel tank) on the lake surface for upward lift.

None of that would be really expensive. The dive would be the challenge (I'm not a diver).

in short : grandpa had a bus company since the 30ies,did it well, bought top quality buses all until outbreak of ww2,this particular bus Brand new, were used in some transport away from oslo the day before the germans took after the norwegian king ,his family and the norwegian govt.10 04.40

When going south again they had to travel the ice on Mjosa, trying not to be shot at by the norwegian resistance,or the nazis on the main eastern road.....the bus broke through the ice ,got stuck and sunk the following day.... nobody hurt ,everybody did get ashore

,my father and several if not all uncles grew up in the buses,selling tickets and later driving the whole fleet of buses, and this is my share of norwegian transport history

jasonjc

Check with a local dive club I bet they would be happy to help you. I know I would and could get a team together to do the lift, if you were closer. Diver's are just like MV'er's, always looking for an excuss to do what they enjoy.[thumbzup]

m38mike

How about using a good quality fish finder to read the bottom of the lake to find the exact location. Scan it from 4 or 5 directions and try to get the location pin-pointed. Then use an underwater camera on a long cable to go down and take a look. No diving needed for this initial investigation, and you can run a camera for a long time to get images from all sides. That will tell you if it's buried in mud, or sitting nicely on a gravel bottom. It would show you if there are any lift points available. There should at least be a pintle hitch on the back, but it might not be there. A camera will also show you if there are currents in the lake that could affect a dive, and the recovery. And it'll give you an idea of how dark it is down there. I've dived down to 65 feet in an Oregon lake and there was lots of light at that level. My guess would be 100+ feet you would need added light.

This would be so cool to see this weasel be recovered!!! [thumbzup]

NSCoyote

as ti has been recomended an initial scouting of the resting site as soon as possible either by using remote video or an actual body in the water. 32m is qutie a stretch for scuba, if there is a local commercial dive school go speak with the admin or dive master and see if they would be willign to offer assitance as a student training op, as thier students are being trained to do just this sort of task, chances are if you supply the lifting equipment they will likely supply the dive gear do the diving portion for next to nothing.

and get as much pics and video as you can if you scout it as well as recovery thiers alot of us that would love to see them.

2 or 3 of these sealed and the axles removed would make great pontoons with a plat form joining them all together would make for a suitable barge to stage and lift from. and i have seen a couple go on auction

Attachments

SLT Kota

This would be awesome if you can pull it off! For what it is worth, I know a guy who sank a jet ski (he had no foam in it). Shortly after it went down they dropped a marker and then went to get a gps to mark the location of the marker. He ended up getting a very nice fish finder to scan the bottom and spent several months scanning the bottom and hired a diver sever different times when they thought that the found it. He eventually got it back but it wasn't easy and he was in alot shallower water with a fairly small area to search.

I don't want to get you discouraged but I would focus on finding its exact locatino before you start planning on how to lift it. In the story above finding it was the hardest part (though it was much more likely for the current to move a small jetski than a weasel.

32 meters is deep for a general open water diver but not impossible, it shouldn't be any problem for a profession diver which I would want to hire to rig it anyway, just remember the deeper it is the less bottom time you have.,

Happy hunting! It will be epic if you can recover it! I wish I were closer and could help.
Stuart

winter is coming ...

and the weasel will rest in peace...still.
So far i`m very satisfied with all concerns from you all!

This weekend i will prepare for winter, try to get trailers inside the barn , or under. Tidy up the yard. perhaps move my M62 with trailer a little , small adjustments... my cckw dump is already parked safely, we had a terrible summer this year ,only heavy rain.i hope to contibute with pics because nopicsnopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks