• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, I blew it up on the way home.

flyxpl

Why trash the remaining parts that are salvageable , just because there is a hole in the block dosen't mean there isn't a ton of parts. Running it till it dies would turn a $1000 worth of spare parts into scap because lack of oil .
I would amagine that before the engine let go it pumped enough metal through the rest of the motor to trash the rest of the internal parts .

deathrowdave

Man , I know a good Priest and couple of good nuke grade welders !!! Maybe they can fix that deep black hole !!! Just me thankful no got hurt , the engine sux but you can fix it better than it was !!! :beer:

roadwarrior

Ok, in the interest of full disclosure, I have around $2000 in the truck (including wrecker bill) and it is my first MV. I wanted to get one from GL, but the recovery scared me, so I bought local.:cry:
Remember, I had only drove the truck for less than 7 miles when it grenaded, so the water temp had me worried. I was planning on stopping to check it out in a couple miles when it let go.
The entire deal sucks, but its not the end of the world. I will get her back up and running as soon as I can locate an affordable replacement.

monkeythumbs

If you have 2k in it, you can still keep your total cost pretty resonable. Lots of people including myself have bought running, driving trucks off of GL and GSA for less than a Grand. Your current truck may end up being a parts truck for the new one though. I'd look/search for both a truck and engine , and see what works best for you. The last truck I bought I paid 790+10% fee and taxes. Good Luck .

zout

That big hole in the side of the block just lets the ENGINE breath better. - why run with 6 pistons if she will run on 5 at the price of diesel now adays.

GoinNutts

That blows no pun intended!

The motor sounds/looks like it is scrap metal where I am from. I have a crate motor, a fresh rebuild w/ all the goodies, but you can buy another truck or two for the price of a rebuilt motor. Tear it down and learn it in and out. Rebuilding will cost more then you probably paid for the truck. Better luck next time!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I the only one that wonders what got the temp up to 220°?
I don't think I've seen any of mine go past 165°, even on a couple hour run in the middle of August.
My geuss would be a blown head gasket .
No, the thought crossed my mind also. I just figured it was the least of his problems, now. :-?
But when you get ready to re-install a new motor, I'd check that cooling system out real well.
Sorry to hear Roadwarrior about your "Herc Missile". :cry:

In theory, a failing head gasket, first stage failure could allow exhaust gases into the cooling system, rapidly heating the coolant. It might never vent to the exterior of the engine, but by super-heating the coolant and engine would quickly become catastrophic. Was there any coolant odor? Steam?

Just one of many possible scenarios that an autopsy could reveal.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

Sorry man! I know the feeling of having a junk engine sitting in a truck, it stinks. I know where some engines are around here in MI and where some are in Tucson, AZ...don't know of any where you are though.

wsucougarx

Just curious, was there any issues in getting her fired up initially? Just wondering if the issue was present on start up and just progressed as the truck was driven. Was it a smooth start up or did she struggle to fire up?

3dAngus

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all turns out OK. I have seen some engines priced competitively in the NE by scrappers, but that doesn't help much where you're at. And I agree, I would not power her up again, and salvage what you can. You might be able to part out the engine for near what a replacement would cost. Then again, you always have that option, as you know, of stripping that engine and saving the parts for yourself, given storage space. Good luck on the resurrection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks