• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, I blew it up on the way home.

motomacguyver

Yes, it sucks to have problems right out of the gate. I had to replace a tranny in an A3 with only 2600 miles on it. The flip side is that you know what you have. And even with all of the time, money, and work, The Deuce still costs less than any "semi collectable" muscle car (just the restorable shell of the car).

Last edited:

roadwarrior

Well today I spent the day getting ready to pull the engine & trans, and when I went to lift it out, my tractors front loader wouldn't lift it high enough, so now I have to get a stronger lift. That engine is alot heavier than the small block chevys that I'm used to.:eek:

motomacguyver

Well today I spent the day getting ready to pull the engine & trans, and when I went to lift it out, my tractors front loader wouldn't lift it high enough, so now I have to get a stronger lift. That engine is alot heavier than the small block chevys that I'm used to.:eek:

Perhaps drive the tractor onto some car ramps to increase the vertical lift on it, or let the air out of the tires on the duece? FWIW.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's like lifting 4 or 5 smal block chevys

ALFA2

Sorry to hear about your motor, once you do get it out, it would be important to figure out what caused the issue. If you heard a knock before it could be a flattened bearing on rod, loose rod bolt, hosed out piston (very rare), or some other odd problem. A hotter than normal temp is odd, if there is no leak or a serious fuel issue. Ether way you want no fuel issues of any type when you get a new motor back in the Deuce.
Good luck to you.
ALFA2

roadwarrior

UPDATE!!!!!!!
I picked up the new bullet (engine) from combst32 last night! Just 6 hours of driving thru severe thunderstorms and rain, heavy traffic in Fort Smith, a small exchange of US currency and it was all mine.:-D
This new motor must be a different model from the one I had, since this "new" one doesn't have the softball-sized crankshaft inspection hole behind the alterrnator.:twisted:

Anyway, I dropped in the replacement motor this evening before the latest rounds of t-storms & tornado warnings drove me inside. I plan on getting her fired up tomorrow, weather permitting.

dozer1

Perhaps drive the tractor onto some car ramps to increase the vertical lift on it, or let the air out of the tires on the duece? FWIW.
I am curious as to know if this was your problem lifting the motor or if the thing was soooo heavy that the loader would stop lifting. (would be my guess) What kind of tractor and loader were you using here and is it the same one as you wound up using to do the swap?

roadwarrior

Yep, the tractor just wasn't strong enough. It may have lifted it up of the ground, just wasn't hoss enough that high up. It is a MF tractor 40 hp, with a loader. Used a backhoe to load the new motor on the trailer, and I had a local wrecker lift it into the truck ( and remove the old one).

roadwarrior

Well, she's a runner! Got her running and took a test drive about an hour ago. Engine seems pretty tight, oil pressure was above 20 psi, but less than 30 psi. That is a little lower than I prefer but everything else was good to go. Ran up to 50mph/2200rpm, I was to gun-shy to go faster, I need this engine to last.

FormerNewMVGuy

Well, she's a runner! Got her running and took a test drive about an hour ago. Engine seems pretty tight, oil pressure was above 20 psi, but less than 30 psi. That is a little lower than I prefer but everything else was good to go. Ran up to 50mph/2200rpm, I was to gun-shy to go faster, I need this engine to last.

You may want to try a mechanical oil pressure guage, just so you know exactly what kind of oil pressure you have.

mikew

That oil pressure seems a bit low.

There are two kinds of gauges and senders. You might pull the oil sender off your old motor (just above the starter) and put it on the new motor.

I do agree that verifying with a mechanical gauge is a good idea too.

roadwarrior

It stays pretty steady, idle or driving. It has been closer to 30 than 20. The sending units look to be the same, but I will try to confirm with mech gauge soon. Do I have anything to worry about? The motor runs well with little smoke.

combat32

I would suspect the gauge or sender before I worried about that motor.Congrats, glad you got her going.You might want to think about changing the filters out, not sure how long they have been in there,

I have some extra gauges if you want to try a different one. pm me your address and I will send you one.

Roger, don't forget to check that transmission for water since it rained hard on you on the way home.

Last edited:

roadwarrior

I changed the sending units finally today, and the sending unit were the same. My oil pressure maxes at 30 psi, and will occasionally drop to less than 25psi. What is the normal psi? The engine still runs ok.

davidkroberts

you are still in specs by the operators manual.... most all of mine have run between 20 and 30 psi but i would get a mechanical gauge is it bothers you. You are fine though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks