• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Westfolk's Steel Oil Spin On Adapters

Katahdin

I think I made that comment so I'll attempt to explain the logic behind it. In Westfolk's install video he mentioned changing the smaller filters after a drop in oil pressure occurs. The smaller filters would get clogged quicker then a larger one, etc. It makes sense to me based on the documented oil pressures in the TMs. Depending upon the engine model, the minimum oil pressures documented in the TMs are either 10 or 15 psi at idle and 40psi at max rpm. If I saw the pressure approaching the minimums at either of those conditions I'd probably start shopping for a new filter.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, Silly question time: Did anyone think of adapting to remote spin-on filter mounts and hanging them so there would be no drain back and you could remove them without dumping oil on the ground? If so, why wouldn't it work? :?:
Do a search for the OD Iron oil filter system by author devilman96

dmetalmiki

Peace of mind

Ease of fitment and reasnable cost. Lorry/trucking show,
forktruck (li 24 volt) lift pump. £25.00
1" piping, check Valve (non return), and unions. £17.00
24 Volt solenoid. and switch. £8.00

Full pressure at start up.
Pump run,switch off immiediatly prior to starting.

Full pressure (for the turbo etc) on Switch off.
Run pump Immediately after shutdown.

Pump Off after a relevent time to Journey/ engine speed.

HAPPINESS IZ PRESHURE.AVI - YouTube

Engine Oil Pre lube Pump.wmv - YouTube

Last edited:

Speedwoble

I think I made that comment so I'll attempt to explain the logic behind it. In Westfolk's install video he mentioned changing the smaller filters after a drop in oil pressure occurs. The smaller filters would get clogged quicker then a larger one, etc. It makes sense to me based on the documented oil pressures in the TMs. Depending upon the engine model, the minimum oil pressures documented in the TMs are either 10 or 15 psi at idle and 40psi at max rpm. If I saw the pressure approaching the minimums at either of those conditions I'd probably start shopping for a new filter.
Understood. Pressure differential is a great way to measure whether to change filters. However, if you only have one gauge, you don't have differential. You are instead left trying to remember what the pressure had been under similar conditions before and this guessing whether the pressure you are observing is right on or to low. With the deuce's 15 psi bybass, your memory only has a 15 psi margin of error.

mattg2448

I emailed someone about this already with no reply.

I'm taking a machining class right now, and we are doing a final project for the year and i kinda wanted to make something that i can actually use. Is there any chance someone would have dimensions of the oil filter adapters? This would be a pretty awesome project!

Thanks in advance!

plym49

Ease of fitment and reasnable cost. Lorry/trucking show,
forktruck (li 24 volt) lift pump. £25.00
1" piping, check Valve (non return), and unions. £17.00
24 Volt solenoid. and switch. £8.00

Full pressure at start up.
Pump run,switch off immiediatly prior to starting.

Full pressure (for the turbo etc) on Switch off.
Run pump Immediately after shutdown.

Pump Off after a relevent time to Journey/ engine speed.

HAPPINESS IZ PRESHURE.AVI - YouTube

Engine Oil Pre lube Pump.wmv - YouTube
Where did you tie on the plumbing to the engine? Diagram, description or pictures, please.

wdbtchr

I was wondering is the simple answer would be for JATonka or Westfolk could make the threaded part of the adapter with the same thread to screw into the engine and the outer part with an NPT thread on the outer to use a remote filter mount?2cents That way simply replacing the threaded part you could go the other way.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello DUG, And in your post you mention with the spin on oil filters the oil pressure came up immediately. Is that because theres no internal filling of the oil system but with the spinons, whereas with the original cannister oil filter bodies, the canniters have to fill before there is a "head" of oil prressure for the system?

welldigger

They use anti-drain filters. They have a check valve inside that keeps oil in the filters. Basically it keeps the filters full and I presume some of the chambers in the block full so all of the oil doesn't end up back in the pan.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They use anti-drain filters. They have a check valve inside that keeps oil in the filters. Basically it keeps the filters full and I presume some of the chambers in the block full so all of the oil doesn't end up back in the pan.
That's how I understand it.

Katahdin

With the NAPA 1060 filters I can get oil pressure just by spinning over the starter a couple times. Its kind of like a pre-lube system! I noticed this after I changed the plastic fuel lines this weekend, it was 35 degrees, I had mixed fuels in the tank, and it took several attempts to get the engine started.

Kloakndagr

Ok my error, I can't find the address on how to purchase one of these. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks a bunch, I think I've lost my mind.

ok I think I found my brain, is the guys name Scott Wojciak? If it is does he have any contact info? Man I gotta find my brain.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks