• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what 6 x 6 is this?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy it, save it and give it a good home. Even if you don't want it yourself, I'm sure you can find a home for the parts on SS....

magneticanomaly

Well, I hope to bring it home on Friday.

73m819 or hndrsnj, can you explain to me the significance of the rims? I did notice hat there is a bolt-circle in the flange. Is there an internal clamp-ring to keep the tire on after it gets shot-up?

I am KINDA hoping not to need that feature, so if I can get other rims that will fit and be easier to change tires on, I might be willing to sell these. What are they worth?

Does anyone know, or know how I can find out, who made the axles, in case God forbid i need parts there? I want to run this thing!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
designed to be changed in the field by unbolting the parts instead of needing tire tool, tire tools also work in changing the tire

Last edited:

gerrykan

magneticanomaly,

Dodge made the axles.

Scroll down the page(right below the red Power wagon photos) at the following link for information on the Dodge combat wheels.
Tires

L1A1

M37 rims will fit those trucks. MidWest Military is a good source for parts. Everything cab forward is the same as on the 3/4 ton WC51/52s.
Matt

m376x6

The transfer cases in WC62's and 63's were essentially the same transfer case as in the M37 and M715. There are some WWII Dodges that still have the original 1.5:1 low range gears although most were changed over to the 1.98:1 during later Depot rebuilds. The flanges are of course different between the three trucks. The rear axles use the same axle shafts as on the WC50 series and the civilian Power Wagons. The rear rear axle is centered (WC Series) while the forward rear axle (Civy PW) is even more offset than the M37's and therefore the M37 and WC/PW series axles were not interchangeable. The Dodge 1 1/2 Ton used a dual drive shaft setup where the parking brake output has a u-joint type flange that drives the shaft to a carrier bearing set up bolted to a couple of welded on brackets on the forward axle then down to the rear axle. Simple and incredibly rugged these trucks were of course built almost 70 years ago and most are gone and the few that remain, well, some have been through use that would reduce a regular pick up to scrap in short order but these monsters are still going. Claim and save every piece of metal you can from this truck. Parts are still available as well as help and advice from a lot of folks who hold these old Dodges that helped win a war very dearly to their hearts. Good Luck, and thanks for sharing your incredible find.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a purist's perspective - You have found a DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH !
It would be ashame to modify and re-engine that truck. You have there the basis for a wonderful true restoration.
But remember - YOU get to decide its fate.

Congrats on the find [thumbzup]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you decide not to get it, pass on the contact info, I am sure, somebody on site WILL get it

magneticanomaly

M376x6, thanks for all the info! I am a little overwhelmed by all the good-will and great info here. Thanks to all!

As I said, I plan to be at the scrapyard at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I will not have time to work on the thing much for a year or more, but my hope is to run and use it..it will have to compete for my favor with my faithful 1954 IHC 1-ton.

That driveshaft set-up is wild, I would not expect long life from the u-joints either side of the carrier on the front-rear-axle, if you drive over uneven terrain,.

I noticed a lot of side-slop between the ends of the rear spring and the stirrups on the axles through which they slip. I am thinking of trying to find or make nylon or UHMWPE or urethane liners for these stirrups, because it would seem that the slop would let the truck wander. Maybe not needed?

Ah, the dilemma of keeping it original! I definitely will NOT throw a small-block V8 in it and Chevelle suspension. But I want to run it, so if a suitable Diesel engine comes along, like a 5.9 Cummins, or even a Nissan SD33, or Isuzu 4BD, it will be hard to resist the added safety and fuel economy of Rudolph's engine. Carb is already gone form the flathead 6, and I do not know how long it has been raining into the intake.

Can anyone tell me the axle ratio for the M62, or maybe there were several. The explanation of 1.5:1 vs 1.95:1 transfer-case ratios confused me a little. It's a 2-speed transfer-case, I think, so is one speed direct and the other either 1.5 or 1.95:1 reduction?

Another modification I would consider is adding an auxiliary transmission with overdrive between trans and transfer, if needed to get reasonable engine RPM on the highway.

Wish me luck getting the beast home, and thanks again!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the slop as you call it in the rear spring saddles is so when the truck goes off road, the springs have room to work, both up/down ans side to side

the duel rear drive shaft set up is very well built and will last about forever as long as you keep everything greased

as far as a another trans behind the trans, this will make the front drive shaft very long, I would go to a overdrive trans first

L1A1

M376x6, thanks for all the info! I am a little overwhelmed by all the good-will and great info here. Thanks to all!

As I said, I plan to be at the scrapyard at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I will not have time to work on the thing much for a year or more, but my hope is to run and use it..it will have to compete for my favor with my faithful 1954 IHC 1-ton.
Good luck (I'm jelious) let me know if I can be of asistance to you in your project!

That driveshaft set-up is wild, I would not expect long life from the u-joints either side of the carrier on the front-rear-axle, if you drive over uneven terrain,.
It was the same (type) set up used on the CCKW 2.5 ton 6X6s of the period.

Ah, the dilemma of keeping it original! I definitely will NOT throw a small-block V8 in it and Chevelle suspension. But I want to run it, so if a suitable Diesel engine comes along, like a 5.9 Cummins, or even a Nissan SD33, or Isuzu 4BD, it will be hard to resist the added safety and fuel economy of Rudolph's engine. Carb is already gone form the flathead 6, and I do not know how long it has been raining into the intake.

My WC51 came with a small block V8 that a PO had installed. When I restored that truck, I pulled out the V8 and installed a T223 6 cyl. flat head. The engine compartment is kind of cramped on those trucks and you may have a hard time finding a power plant that fits and isn't a B*tch to work on after instalation.

Can anyone tell me the axle ratio for the M62, or maybe there were several. The explanation of 1.5:1 vs 1.95:1 transfer-case ratios confused me a little. It's a 2-speed transfer-case, I think, so is one speed direct and the other either 1.5 or 1.95:1 reduction?

That truck is actually a "WC-62" not an "M62". The "M" designation for soft skins was introduced post war. Gear ratio in a stock WC axle was 5:83. There are 4:89 ring & pinion sets available from places like M series rebuild. The original war time 2sp T-case was the 1.5 to 1 ratio post was with the introduction of the M37 which used the same T-case BTW, was 1.98 to 1.

Matt

gerrykan

....if a suitable Diesel engine comes along, like a 5.9 Cummins....
A 3.9(4 cylinder) Cummins might fit, but I don't think you will ever get a 5.9(6 cylinder) in there.

As Matt pointed out, the engine compartment is very cramped, both length-wise and width-wise.
Dodge only offered inline engines during that era, so the intrusion of the steering box was of no concern to them, but greatly limits engine width as well.

If you change gear ratios, you have to multiply the cost times 3.

I love Chrysler Corporation vehicles, and I am no fan of their flathead sixes, but to me it is most practical to retain it in one of these trucks.

spicergear

The transfer cases in WC62's and 63's were essentially the same transfer case as in the M37 and M715. There are some WWII Dodges that still have the original 1.5:1 low range gears although most were changed over to the 1.98:1 during later Depot rebuilds. .
Also known as an NP200...close cousin to the well known NP205. I just gave a spare NP205 to a buddy that has some M37's and one 6x6. There is also a transfercase that is narrow and not a high-low like the NP200 that could be in some of those early Dodge trucks. My buddy had one of those too.

Also, for the M37 guys (and I guess 715 guys), the stock emergency band clamp brake on the rear of the NP200 CAN be swapped on to the rear of an NP205 by machining a groove for the difference in the output bearing design between the cases. Why bother? ...because the NP200 are prone to overheating at prolonged highway speeds (50mph+) where a swapped in NP205, looks virtually identical, gives you a t-case pto port, and will run cool forever. -that's why. :mrgreen:

L1A1

Also known as an NP200...close cousin to the well known NP205. I just gave a spare NP205 to a buddy that has some M37's and one 6x6. There is also a transfercase that is narrow and not a high-low like the NP200 that could be in some of those early Dodge trucks. My buddy had one of those too.
Not sure of the 1/2 tons but I know the 3/4 ton WCs all came with a single speed transfer case (low range). That was a relativly small/flat T-case when compared with the 2 sp units used in the 1.5 ton & M37s.

Also, for the M37 guys (and I guess 715 guys), the stock emergency band clamp. :mrgreen:
And this one time at Band Clamp..........:lol:

Matt

WolfWalking

I would snap it up in a heartbeat, welcome to the 1.5 ton family. If you need any help with info and such, let me know. My first MV is what you see on my avatar. Its a 43' WC-63, and has been a blast learning about and working on.

I saw my first one 3 years ago, and since have owned 3, parted and scrapped 2, (hopeless rust). and have seen two more since. All of a vehicle I didn't know existed until 3 years ago.

Enjoy.:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks