• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what 6 x 6 is this?

magneticanomaly

new home w pictures

Hauled it home (around 50 miles) on Friday, without incident, after a little uncertainty about whether it would fit on the (borrowed) trailer, and whether trailer tires were really flat or it was just heavy. . It weighs 7040 lb, which made it a lot more expensive than I expected. Included a 7th "combat" wheel.

Suburban pulled it up 19% grade at the beginning of my road in 4WD Low. (15,000 gross)

1931 Farmall regular towed it the rest of the way up my mile driveway. Al l tires hold air, all the wheels turn, transmission goes in gear and back to neutral...Thass all I know so far.

I like it, but I'm already in deeper than I can afford.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would guess that because of the hard top, the trans would be good, no water

who ever that is in the cab in pic #3 sure looks like thay are having fun

Last edited:

L1A1

My WC51 was painted the same color and had an identical hard cab grafted onto it's original open cab which certainly saved it from the elements. My truck was a European return brought "home" some time in the 1970s. Think it was imported by Seaco from Switzerland.

About those cabs. When I first got my weapons carrier, I was talking with a fellow who knew far more about Dodges then I. When I described the hard cab to him, he thought that it was something that was done in the later 50s. My opinion, is that they were either added by the Europeans (like the Swiss) or it was a commercial aftermarket item. Either way, it's a factory (not home made) item.
Matt

WolfWalking

Now that looks like a great start. The frame appears to have been well protected. Enjoy and remember, you've got lots of help in here.

Have you found the VIN# yet? then you can know the production year. [thumbzup]

magneticanomaly

Yes, I believe the aftermarket cab.. There is a plate inside it saying something like, "Chicago Manufacturing co"..I took more photos, but no time to upload them now.

I found serial number(s?) on frame forward of left front wheel. On top of frame rail, "6668". On outside of frame rail, directly under the former number, "82026998" There is no information plate that I could find inside the cab or on dashboard.

Hey, Post some picks of that tractor too. And remember most of us can't read very well so lots and lots of pictures. Looking forward to the restore.

1 John 3:3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I have been talking to my 78 year old grandfather and have found out that he drove one of these trucks in Korean War, one day I would like to own one and restore it for him.

Great job on saving anther one from the scrap yard.

magneticanomaly

L1A1, how did you find out the history you tell of your truck?

Is there a particular part of this forum where I should post the numbers I have found on the truck, on top of left frame rail in front of left front wheel "6668". On outside of frame rail, directly under the former number, "82026998"

Where do I find out such things as recommended lubes for transmission, transfer case, and axles?

Has anyone tried modifying or replacing the cab on one of these, to get a little more room? I am 6' but only 175 lb, yet I would not want to drive in the cab I have now any distance, with the steering wheel right under my chin!

L1A1

L1A1, how did you find out the history you tell of your truck? Looking at the clues on the truck itself. My WC had a factory steel floor in it's bed which was something the Swiss & French did when they sent them through depot rebuild post WWII. I also scraped some of the surface paint that was old & flaking to reveal what was on underneith like the hood numbers and certain other markings.

Is there a particular part of this forum where I should post the numbers I have found on the truck, on top of left frame rail in front of left front wheel "6668". On outside of frame rail, directly under the former number, "82026998" I'm not sure what the top four digit number denotes but, the bottom one is your truck's serial (Vin) number. I think I may be able to look that number up and tell you what contract that came from but i have to find that particular book in my library first.

Where do I find out such things as recommended lubes for transmission, transfer case, and axles? Portrayal Press carries a full line of manuals for your new "Toy" including the lube order. I'd try them first. Think MidWest Military also sells them (John Bizal the owner of MWM is a very good guy to deal with for parts).

Has anyone tried modifying or replacing the cab on one of these, to get a little more room? I am 6' but only 175 lb, yet I would not want to drive in the cab I have now any distance, with the steering wheel right under my chin!
If you look at the positioning of the pedals you'll notice that trying to graft another cab onto that frame, like an M37 cab for example, would be a major undertaking. Those trucks (WWII trucks in general) weren't much fun for long distance driving with their non adjustable seats and cramped cabs. I'm 5' 11" and didn't have the problem of the steering wheel right under my chin. Are you sitting on seat cusions or just the bare seat buckets? With the cusions in place, your position should be up a little higher & away from the steering wheel.
Matt

magneticanomaly

What I suppose I would need to do to make this a marginally practical vehicle for me is to cut the back off the cab and add (at least) another row of seats, and either lengthen the frame or shorten the 10ft bed. The grinning driver of photo 3 above is my 11-year-old daughter, number 3 of 7.

Attachments

Last edited:

L1A1

If/when you remove that hard cab the rear wall will no longer be a problem. But you will then need a windshiled frame (inner & outter)& mounting hardware. The bed on there as you can imagine is not OEM for the WC63. What I should have mentioned with my WC, is that during the course of it's restoration, I removed that hard cab. With it off, you'll probably find sitting in that truck not quite as clausterphobic.

I could not find the book I was looking for with those production numbers in it. But, I did find a copy of the WC62/WC63's lube order. It tells how much, how often & where it needs to go. So if you would, PM me your snail mail address and I'll drop it in the mail to you as an early X-Mas gift.

A bit of advice, do what I did and take it over to kinkos and have copies made (have one of the copies laminated) and have (another) one of those copies blown up to poster size. Believe me it helps.
Matt

TGP (IL)

Using your Dodge Serial number 82026998 it decodes this way from this site

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

Serial Number,82026998 Year1943-45 MakeDodge ModelWC-62,WC-63 TypeMilitary - 6x6 Engine230 Flathead Six Wheelbase125 Rating1 1/2 Ton Engineering CodeT223 PlantDetroit, Michigan Build Number 26998

Nice WC !
Glad you saved it
Tom

Last edited:

WolfWalking

That build number should be an early to middle 1944 production date, I forgot to check my books today at work. All the info you need for this truck is available, I have the reproduction pubs (Portrayal Press) and the same on the computer from a cd.

So what ever you need to know is out here, just ask. But if you want room, you will need to take off the arctic cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks