• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what are yall using for a dump coversion?

racing4funn

I've seen the C&CE kit and want it but found an old post that said considering the size of bed and capacity of these trucks it was easy to overload the lift abilities of their kit/actuator

charger53

I purchased a wet kit from a guy here in Colorado that bought it from Eastern Surplus (I think). It is a complete kit with pto, tank, pump, controls and all mounts. I then purchased a used double cylinder hoist from a local farmer that scrapped a older grain truck. I sent the cylinders from the hoist out to be rebuilt and will be installing all of it as I get the time, (or when my buddy the truck fabricator gets time). I think it will be a better option than the electric over hydraulic kit in the long run, and I will have the capability to run pretty much anything hydraulic in the future.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no experience with the kit C&C sells but most electric pumps will put out as much pressure as any, they are just slow.

I've done several dump conversions, most of which can be found here with a search. I always go with a PTO setup as I don't like the slow speed of the electric pumps.

charger53

You could buy a wet kit for the truck and buy just the hoist from them if you want a faster PTO powered one, then you could power a winch or any other hydraulic item should the need ever arise, and the PTO kit is a pretty simple and straight forward install.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot depends on what truck we are talking about. This is in the 5-ton forum so I assume a 5-ton but what model?

If we are talking a M939 truck, there are factory PTO kits available that will bolt right up (used to run the winch on winch trucks). When you get to the older 5-tons, you have to get a little creative because there is no factory bolt-on kit.

74M35A2

I am going through the exact same thing with my M925A2, also attracted to, but concerned about the C&C kit capability, and general lack of info.

I have found dump hoist kits on flea-bay that contain much more info, and capability choices. Search terms "620 hoist". There are links provided in the ad which state the tilt angle and load lifting abilities of various kits offered. Also gives dimensions and weight of the hoist mechanism. The 620 kit for example is rated at a minimum of 10 tons. When I called the distributor, they did confirm a 24V pump is available for an additional $100 cost adder.

I'm preparing to order one of these such kits in the very near future. Torn between this and a used scissor mechanism off a roofing truck which can both dump and lift the bed vertically as a platform.

Decent info, I'd suggest to take a browse of it as a next step.

Last edited:

davo727

The issue of how much it will dump is generally not dependant on the hydraulic pump, its a matter of if the lifting cylinder is a large enough diameter to create enough lifting force. The c and c kit cylinder is probably too small.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue of how much it will dump is generally not dependant on the hydraulic pump, its a matter of if the lifting cylinder is a large enough diameter to create enough lifting force. The c and c kit cylinder is probably too small.
It also depends where the hoist is mounted. The farther back you mount it, the steeper angle it will dump, but the less force it will have. Hinge placement also plays a role in hoist capacity. Any bed hanging over past the hinges will help with hoist capacity.

You can figure all this out with math but basically, If the hoist is mounted in the very front of the bed and the hinge is at the very back, the hoist is only having to lift half the load. If the hoist is mounted in the middle of the bed and the hinges are at the very back, you are pretty much picking up the whole load with the hoist. Once you get past the middle toward the back, the hoist is actually having to pick up much more that the actual weight in the bed.

charger53

A lot depends on what truck we are talking about. This is in the 5-ton forum so I assume a 5-ton but what model?

If we are talking a M939 truck, there are factory PTO kits available that will bolt right up (used to run the winch on winch trucks). When you get to the older 5-tons, you have to get a little creative because there is no factory bolt-on kit.
Excellent point, I suppose I just assumed it was a 939.
I looked for the best hoist I could find to do the job and do it well. The double cylinder from a wheat truck will lift anything I could ever put in the 5 ton and then some.

racing4funn

It's a M939 with a winch so I guess the battle is half won. I can just T into the out and return lines and use. Wall valves for redirecting. All I NEED to come.hp with is a cylinder and frame.

charger53

It's a M939 with a winch so I guess the battle is half won. I can just T into the out and return lines and use. Wall valves for redirecting. All I NEED to come.hp with is a cylinder and frame.
Yep! Your halfway there! Start scannin the area for a old dump truck or grain truck that looks like it hasnt been used for a while!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks