• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

mikey

I was a busy boy. I tested my winch. Had not tried it yet since I recovered the deuce from GL. It was bone dry on both sides, so I filled her gear oil, checked the shear pin and tested her. Success.

I also started repainting the deuce. I got the back of the bed sanded and primed with Rustoleum rusty metal primer as well as the metal on the troop seats.

I have to fill the fiberglass troop seats as they are very rough, then sand and paint.

Next week I'll be painting the bed and troop seats with the Home Depot paint recommended by wsucougarsx:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/66973-exterior-latex-acrylic-house-paints.html

This is going to be a LONG project...

Mikey

Attachments

cvh20

Mounted my Go Pro camera in the windshield. Sound isn't too great because the passenger window closed unexpectedly and was blowing air across the camera.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdtxImtX874[/media]

randini

Hey ISG20inophir, I like your install. I have been thinking of the same thing. I would like to have the ability to keep the troop seats also. Any thought of putting the crane more toward the center of the bed, at the back? Or maybe some way to be able to remove it when needed?
Thanks

RGS20inophir

Hey ISG20inophir, I like your install. I have been thinking of the same thing. I would like to have the ability to keep the troop seats also. Any thought of putting the crane more toward the center of the bed, at the back? Or maybe some way to be able to remove it when needed?
Thanks
I thought about various places to put it but being able to get the drivers side up near a load and pick it up won out over having the back two sections of troop seats. I rarely haul more than four or five people in the deuce... so having ample seating for 20 just didn't make sense so the back sections of the seats went. I thought about various methods of possible quick disconnects on the crane pipe but that would sacrifice the lifting capacity. I also dislike the mounting flange. When picking up a moderate load (~400 lbs) with the boom fully extended, the boom flexes more than I would like... so does the bed floor. I suspect I will create another mounting flange that will distribute the load a little better across the entirety of the floor around the right rear.

I also chose the right rear side because I can get that side up next to almost anything. My mirrors on the passenger side rattle considerably more so trying to maneuver based on the mirror on that side alone.... sucks. So the drivers side won. So far I have been moderately impressed with the el-cheapo Northern Tool Crane setup. It was a great buy for the money. The hook is just large enough to put a clevis pin in however, the hook is too small for the medium barrel lifter I bought. The safety hasp never engages. All in all, I think it was a worthy investment. It will make getting heavy things into the bed and moving them around MUCH easier. I am surprised that more deuces didn't come with a small crane. I almost want to put one over the axle on my 105.

randini

What are you lifting with it? I would like to be able to Load/Unload 55gal barrells. I think they run about 450-500 lbs. Have you done that yet?
Thanks

Seth_O

My brakes started squeaking last week, so I figured it was time to adjust them. I was surprised by a couple of things:
  1. that the truck was even able to stop with how out-of-adjustment they were - in a couple of places where I should have had a .010" gap to the drum, I actually had closer to .2"!
  2. how easy it was to do the adjustments - once I had it down I could do a drum in a few minutes; I should have done it a long time ago regardless of the truck's ability to stop itself
  3. the difference it made: my truck has always stopped a little slowly, but I figured that since it DRIVES a little slowly, and is a big/heavy truck that it would be normal for it to stop slowly too. I was wrong, with properly adjusted brakes it stopped fast and hard - surprisingly so.
After finishing up I have to say I wish I would have done it earlier, even though I don't feel like I was ever in danger of the truck not stopping before, this made an incredible difference.

I also tore down an extra axle I had laying around. I removed it when I bobbed my truck last summer. In the interim it sat at a buddies house, and when his yard flooded in the winter it got completely submerged and subsequently utterly buried in silt/dirt (where it sat for the last 6mos.)

I pulled the drums off to find them packed with dirt/rocks. The brake cylinders however were clean inside and still full of brake fluid. When I pulled the chunk, I found the inside clean and still full of amber gear oil! not a drop of water passed the axle shaft seals. I love my truck!

RGS20inophir

What are you lifting with it? I would like to be able to Load/Unload 55gal barrells. I think they run about 450-500 lbs. Have you done that yet?
Thanks

I was lifting and moving 55 gal drums and a 100 gal (empty) propane tank. It works well, I just need to make a re-enforcement plate for lifting objects to the side of the truck as it is currently only braced for forwards and aft lifts.

rednckii

I just got a air needle gun to tackle a few spots of cancer on the body. Also came across another gauge cluster and the frame set up for a soft top. Now i need to decide order a top or fix the hard top. Think ill do both soft in summer hard in winter what ya think.

Darwin T

i bought a box of mixed shackles to get 2 sets of the upper ones and those were in the box. they are stock military shackles with the same pins as the top ones. i think from a 5 ton but that is just a guess. i did not want the ones like the top because they only swing one way and i wanted them to swing both ways. :shock:

Last edited:

oddshot

Today, I completed 3 classes at a 5 week short summer semester.

I drove the Duck 300 miles a week down to Marietta Ga in all that heat.

Parked her bobbed rear-end in the crowded school parking lot 3 days a week.

NO PROBLEMS!!!!! Low temps ... good OP. She was a PERFECT lady.

I drew a VERY appreciative and curious crowd EVERY time I pulled her onto the lot.

I now have put over 5,000 miles on the Duck since I bought her this past February, seven months ago.

I've changed my driving techniques a bit ... I let her "draw" up a hill, about like you'd let a team of mules, instead of "drivin'" her/them. Also I have dropped my max speed on the interstate to about 51 to 52 MPH from 53 to 55 MPH.

The Mother Duck is now giving me over 8 MPG on about 85% WMO!!!!

Further: I have located the parts to make my own "de-splined front hubs" to give me 4 wheel drive on demand when I want it on a (students, i.e., CHEAP) budget. Thread to follow.

Also, I ordered 2 - twelve inch, 12 VDC (cheap) radiator cooling fans.

I'm thinkin' that this will move me into the 10 MPG range!!!

I got 5 classes until I get my degree and begin teaching ...

I'm thinkin' the Duck will be with me every inch of the way!

T

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks