• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

I keep that exact set in my truck also. I agree on how easy it is to break them free, and I don’t have to worry about running out of air or dead batteries on a cordless impact on the side of the road. Although I use a cordless impact at the house.
That's nice to know! It confirms for me that I'm not a total idiot after all! Thanks!

Dipstick

Started in re-sealing my rear hubs today, one stated to weep the last time I drove it. With absolutely nothing sealing the keyway, I'm not sure how it hasn't been leaking for the last 10 years or more but its been dry and running cool. I say 10, since I know the previous owner never had them apart.

Im finding out I need a bigger impact gun...
Wow! Lucky! That's why I got rid of my constantly sticking axle vents. I could not believe how much pressure was in my front axle when I removed it. Fortunately, the new front inner axle seals I put in last Summer held. I remember driving up to NY State one year. I got about 70 miles from home and discovered that the entire rear underside of Brutus was covered in axle lube. The culprit was a stuck vent!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Lucky! That's why I got rid of my constantly sticking axle vents. I could not believe how much pressure was in my front axle when I removed it. Fortunately, the new front inner axle seals I put in last Summer held. I remember driving up to NY State one year. I got about 70 miles from home and discovered that the entire rear underside of Brutus was covered in axle lube. The culprit was a stuck vent!
I got a truck and drove it over 600 miles seals started to leak a bit. Twisted the vents till they popped up and down freely but they had to be held at just the right angle to vent. Lots of pressure in there. Now I have a straight vent hose up to a high point no restrictions now and axles stopped leaking. Maybe it'll be down the road before I have to replace seals.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dipstick

I got a truck and drove it over 600 miles seals started to leak a bit. Twisted the vents till they popped up and down freely but they had to be held at just the right angle to vent. Lots of pressure in there. Now I have a straight vent hose up to a high point no restrictions now and axles stopped leaking. Maybe it'll be down the road before I have to replace seals.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Exactly! I just did vent hoses on Brutus a few days ago. I hope you and I both don't have to change seals in the near future! Those damn vents were selected by the M35 design team also known widely as the MPFC.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
@Dipstick @Slate
The best thing you can do for those garbage axle vents is throw them in the trash and do not replace with new!

Grab (3) 3/8 push lock fittings with (if I remember correctly) 1/4 npt thread on the other side, and run 3/8 nylon vented up high.

I like to take both rears and T them together high under the bed, and run that line forward and grab the front axle line, T in, and open vent beside the air cleaner box.

Many guys have ran 1/4 line but it’s too small, it works BETTER than the milspec vents but to be safe I recommend running the 3/8 for zero pressure on your seals.

I’ve also vented my transmission and transfer case the same way, you’d be amazed out how many leaks this prevents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dipstick

The best thing you can do for those garbage axle vents is throw them in the trash and do not replace with new!

Grab (3) 3/8 push lock fittings with (if I remember correctly) 1/4 npt thread on the other side, and run 3/8 nylon vented up high.

I like to take both rears and T them together high under the bed, and run that line forward and grab the front axle line, T in, and open vent beside the air cleaner box.

Many guys have ran 1/4 line but it’s too small, it works BETTER than the milspec vents but to be safe I recommend running the 3/8 for zero pressure on your seals.

I’ve also vented my transmission and transfer case the same way, you’d be amazed out how many leaks this prevents

Point well taken! Thanks Elijah! My truck is bobbed, so I only have two axles to worry about. They're separately vented so I think 1/4" should be okay. You are 100% right about doing the same for the tranny and t-case. Mine leak a little even after I changed a few of the seals and gaskets. The vents could be the culprits. Again, thank you for your suggestions! Oh, I chose fuel line hose because of it's flexibility, ability to tolerate both hot and cold temperature extremes, it's reinforced and therefore strong, and has excellent chemical resistance.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Point well taken! Thanks Elijah! My truck is bobbed, so I only have two axles to worry about. They're separately vented so I think 1/4" should be okay. You are 100% right about doing the same for the tranny and t-case. Mine leak a little even after I changed a few of the seals and gaskets. The vents could be the culprits. Again, thank you for your suggestions! Oh, I chose fuel line hose because of it's flexibility, ability to tolerate both hot and cold temperature extremes, it's reinforced and therefore strong, and has excellent chemical resistance.
Sounds like you’re kicking it’s butt then! Nice truck

fleetmech

I've seen those multiplier sets before and they look really cool. I am a little leery of them in situations like I'm plowing through, though. I have this feeling that pure torque would have started snapping stuff, considering how over tight they were. Heat and beat lessens the chances of that. In normal service however, those kits look great.

Dipstick

I've seen those multiplier sets before and they look really cool. I am a little leery of them in situations like I'm plowing through, though. I have this feeling that pure torque would have started snapping stuff, considering how over tight they were. Heat and beat lessens the chances of that. In normal service however, those kits look great.
I fully agree with you on heat and beat, because it sure "beats" stripping threads. I think you'd have backed off before you snapped one though. You have too much experience to do that.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 815770View attachment 815771View attachment 815772
I bought this torque multiplying lug nut tool a long time ago. It develops up to 4,500 ft-lbs of torque. It works in both directions. It's 1" drive and weighs about 15 lbs. It comes with impact sockets that fit a Deuce. I think I bought the pork chop separately, but I don't remember. It took off my Deuce lug nuts with ease. Seriously, when turning the crank on a lug nut, well I've had a harder time opening a can of soup. Anyway, I didn't have to spring for a bigger air compressor I can't afford and I don't have to carry air hose (although I do). It fits in Brutus' tool box along with my 12 ton bottle jack. Once you break the nut free it's faster to turn it off the rest of the way by hand, so it looses a little to an impact wrench that way. But other than that it's a breeze to use.
Dipstick,

That is a pretty compact looking box of wheel tools. I could see having something like that in the tool box on my truck for sure. What makes it so neat is that it doesn't require a battery or air. All mechanical and all in that one box... Definitely neat Owen!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@Mullaney , the Deuce air compressor delivers around 7 cfm.
Thanks cattlerepairman

That 7 cfm number "kinda confirms" my guess that a big air wrench really wold over-work the truck compressor. Still, more than enough to air up a tire and drive a small impact. Additional supply tanks would help performance if you were in a tight spot.

Dipstick

I replaced the rusty reflectors on my bed today getting ready for inspection. In the interest of working "smarter not harder" I decided to cover my hands, clothing, and all OD Green surfaces with anti-seize before commencing work. I also discovered that anti-seize goes remarkably well with a salami and cheese sandwich.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I replaced the rusty reflectors on my bed today getting ready for inspection. In the interest of working "smarter not harder" I decided to cover my hands, clothing, and all OD Green surfaces with anti-seize before commencing work. I also discovered that anti-seize goes remarkably well with a salami and cheese sandwich.
Ha! I dunno about that - but then again too - I have had several sandwiches glazed in hydraulic oil. At the time they were pretty good :)

JCKnife

You're doing a really professional looking install there JC! Cab interior looks Nice.
Thanks! I really debated about putting that one station on the top of the transmission tunnel but 1) if I put it behind the seat down low it would be really hard to reach, and 2) by making this the "commander" unit I can wear it and adjust my volume while driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks