• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

92ramaro

Fortunately for me, I was off work on Tuesday and woke up to about 10 inches of snow everywhere.

Made some coffee, unhooked the battery tender, did a quick fluid check, and spent the day driving Daisy around on the drifted over back roads with my fiancée riding shotgun. She was very happy with how well the heat works compared to last year.
We spent about 6 hours looking for stranded motorists/making sure the taps were working at a few of the local establishments.
Some of the drifts we ended up playing around in were well over my waist. The second picture was taken moments before I had to wade/drag the winch line about 100 feet to the nearest tree 😅
It was the perfect day off. For the "three" of us really.
As soon as I finish the other vehicle repairs in the shop, I'm probably doing king pin bushings and a steering box service in the near future. Otherwise, nothing further to report.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Fortunately for me, I was off work on Tuesday and woke up to about 10 inches of snow everywhere.

Made some coffee, unhooked the battery tender, did a quick fluid check, and spent the day driving Daisy around on the drifted over back roads with my fiancée riding shotgun. She was very happy with how well the heat works compared to last year.
We spent about 6 hours looking for stranded motorists/making sure the taps were working at a few of the local establishments.
Some of the drifts we ended up playing around in were well over my waist. The second picture was taken moments before I had to wade/drag the winch line about 100 feet to the nearest tree 😅
It was the perfect day off. For the "three" of us really.
As soon as I finish the other vehicle repairs in the shop, I'm probably doing king pin bushings and a steering box service in the near future. Otherwise, nothing further to report.
Great photos, that last one looks like you have an iceberg stashed under the truck :D

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@92ramaro
To the wide-eyed, bushy-tailed observer from a warm climate this may LOOK like fun! Oh, how naive! :) For somebody that just drove an International Tri-axle last night for 4 hours at -11F (-14C) WITHOUT any cab heat whatsoever, with the side window open so the windshield would not freeze over, I rate the fun factor as high for 30 minutes, until I lose sensation in my fingers and feet! Man, that was a miserable and cold night last night.
I do hope though that you had as much fun as the pics suggest!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliments. I have been debating since I’ve done the swap wether to paint them all black, or leave them sand . The other half says she prefers the current look, but I think I’d like the all black look. So now I’m at a stand still.
Perhaps paint your side black and leave her side as is. Nobody can see both sides at the same time anyways.

View attachment 826084View attachment 826085 We have no snow in town and it warmed up a bit, so I was able to install the Step Kit Front Bumper PN 12300799. I picked this Step Kit up from Bigmike when the wife and I were out visiting California late last year. This kit was complete right down to the pin, clip, and chain. Got it sandblasted, primed and painted, drilled two 1/2 in. holes in the bumper and I was done (some touch up paint required). It's nice to pull the clip and safety pin, rotate the step down, replace the lock pin, and I can step up and check the engine compartment, and clean the windows etc.. Climb down pull the lock pin, rotate the step up, replace the safety pin and clip and the step is up and out of the way. Now I don't have to carry that step ladder around anymore. My truck has a winch, and 11:00X20 tires, so it sits a little higher than stock. So this step is a great safety item for us seniors who seem to be more inclined to fall off things.
Red River Parts was selling these on eBay for $30 plus the ride. I bought one for my dump and one for my son's fueler. They are new in the box.

92ramaro

@92ramaro
To the wide-eyed, bushy-tailed observer from a warm climate this may LOOK like fun! Oh, how naive! :) For somebody that just drove an International Tri-axle last night for 4 hours at -11F (-14C) WITHOUT any cab heat whatsoever, with the side window open so the windshield would not freeze over, I rate the fun factor as high for 30 minutes, until I lose sensation in my fingers and feet! Man, that was a miserable and cold night last night.
I do hope though that you had as much fun as the pics suggest!
Yikes! :oops:
I dont know who conned you into doing that, but I'd be cutting ties for the sake of my health if possible 😅

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes! :oops:
I dont know who conned you into doing that, but I'd be cutting ties for the sake of my health if possible
The downfall of being mission oriented. Adapt, improvise, overcome - just get it done. I need to work on that. I did park the truck early and for the Sat night shift my condition for driving is working heat!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally did a battery swap on the truck, went with 2 group 31 batteries & some new cables...

Attachments

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the old starter off today, the solenoid on the starter itself is going bad plus its dragging like hell when it does want to work. Took it to a local shop that rebuilds electrical parts & I'm going to have it rebuilt...

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought:
-New inner tube and flap
-1/4" NPT plug to block off the flame heater
-New slobber tube hose
Hi Tim,

Guess that means that the next part of the project is to install those parts :)
I thought maybe I was the only one who collects stuff, then needs to put it on - one of these days.
Not sure how your weather is - but FINALLY we are starting to warm up here.
Shade Tree mechanic-ing (minus the tree) will start happening around here soon!

Hopefully the same for you.

Tim M

Merc1973

Hi Tim,

Guess that means that the next part of the project is to install those parts :)
I thought maybe I was the only one who collects stuff, then needs to put it on - one of these days.
Not sure how your weather is - but FINALLY we are starting to warm up here.
Shade Tree mechanic-ing (minus the tree) will start happening around here soon!

Hopefully the same for you.

Tim M
Hey fellow Tim,

I forgot about another recent purchase, a Monroe shock 66903, since the passenger side it totally shot from my ancient spare with flat spots. This and the tire needs to be done next week so I can take a large load of trash to the dump from my recent basement job and torn down old shed.

Let's see, what else do I have? Spin-on primary fuel filter adapter, civilian style 24v halogen headlight bulbs and plugs, radiator hoses, coolant hoses to intake, intake coolant gaskets, T-stat, locking door handles. I hope that's all, hahaha. Yes weather pending I hope you get your list accomplished as well! Keep us updated.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2819.JPG Doing a little rear axle brake service yesterday and today. I borrowed the tie down strap idea to support the brake drum from one of our members son, who using the strap while packing wheel bearings on his dad's truck. Sure saves wear and tear on my back and shoulders. Thanks' young man!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Tracer. What were you doing to your breaks? Just adjusting break shoes or did you have another issue?
Mike, I had a wheel cylinder leaking. I was fortunate to have a Lockheed Wagner wheel cylinder salted away. Also replaced the inner and outer hub seals, the flange hub gasket, and the little square cork gasket, then repacked both bearings. Will adjust the brakes, and put the wheels back on tomorrow, then go for a drive.

Last edited:

m715mike

@Tracer, I figured there was something that got your attention and prompted the project.
I had leaking wheel cylinders on my front and middle axels and have gone through both of those axels. This Spring, I’m going to do the rear for precautionary measures.

Not that you need it, but I wish you good luck getting everything back together tomorrow!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Tracer, I figured there was something that got your attention and prompted the project.
I had leaking wheel cylinders on my front and middle axels and have gone through both of those axels. This Spring, I’m going to do the rear for precautionary measures.

Not that you need it, but I wish you good luck getting everything back together tomorrow!
Good idea Mike. Mike, while your at it, also check your flex lines for signs of cracking or leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks