• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Merc1973

Brought my flat steer tire to W & W Tire in Finksburg, MD to replace my inner tube and flap for $52. Its been flat for 6 years and have been running a very dry-rotted and square spare. I supplied the flap and tube. Well worth it since I have never done one before nor have the time. They work on Trucks and have a guy who can work on 2.5T and 5T trucks. He drove M915 and M816 wreckers in the Army. Very nice guy.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Tackled changing the Hydraulic Head and fuel shutoff O-Rings. And it was disastrous, I generally consider myself mechanically inclined and tend to research before I jump into something like this. Spread out over 3 days, 12 hours of labor, a pump improperly timed to the engine during its last rebuild job assumed in 89/91 when it received a new engine, and me being over-analytic lead to the first time being 1 tooth off with a severely Loping idle and low off-idle power and insane mid-high range power indicated I was 1 tooth off advanced, tore it back down and found the correct scribe mark, dropped it in and ended up 180° off, then after consulting the TM and drinking some beer today, I set TDC by pulling the valve cover and watching the valves as I turned the engine by hand with tension on the belt and turning the fan, lined up my red HH gear mark dead on the money while the white mark/cut in the advance port and harmonic marks were wayyyy off, I just trusted TDC and a perfectly split 50/50 Quill shaft washer cutout. Put it all together, and it runs great now. Never been so happy with 130 some odd anemic HP

Special shoutout to @Jeepsinker @clinto @Floridianson @Recovry4x4IMG_4167.jpg
IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4171.jpg
IMG_4163.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished buttoning everything up new tires 395/85/20 removed the ctis installed block heater fixed heater core took it out for a ride today omg I got the 45 mph vibrate really bad I guess I just joined the club lol

Dipstick

I got a nifty surprise today. I went to start Brutus up and he barely cranked over. Not nearly enough to start. Geez, I just drove him last week. It could be that the batteries I bought in 2013 have finally bit the dust. The battery fluid level was perfect. I'll have to check the belt adjustment. The charging gauge has been in the green. Oh, and to make it even niftier, one of the battery box handles came off in my hand leaving a cigarette pack sized hole in the box. What fun MVs can be. The inside of the battery box is totally corroded. I'll be getting a new one of those.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got a nifty surprise today. I went to start Brutus up and he barely cranked over. Not nearly enough to start. Geez, I just drove him last week. It could be that the batteries I bought in 2013 have finally bit the dust. The battery fluid level was perfect. I'll have to check the belt adjustment. The charging gauge has been in the green. Oh, and to make it even niftier, one of the battery box handles came off in my hand leaving a cigarette pack sized hole in the box. What fun MVs can be. The inside of the battery box is totally corroded. I'll be getting a new one of those.
That's a bummer Owen... I had a few spastic battery problems when I rewired my replacement batteries a few months back. At the time, mine were brand new. The truck would work perfectly, then it would sit for two or three days and not start.

MY PROBLEM turned out to be crummy wiring on my part. When I finally removed each connection, cleaned them with a wire brush and tightened them down again - that hasn't happened again.

While the batteries were disconnected, I charged each one (only have a 12v charger). Measuring with my multimeter, two were low and two were "normal" at about 13+ volts.

Sure hope that will be an easy fix for your problem too!

Tim

Dipstick

That's a bummer Owen... I had a few spastic battery problems when I rewired my replacement batteries a few months back. At the time, mine were brand new. The truck would work perfectly, then it would sit for two or three days and not start.

MY PROBLEM turned out to be crummy wiring on my part. When I finally removed each connection, cleaned them with a wire brush and tightened them down again - that hasn't happened again.

While the batteries were disconnected, I charged each one (only have a 12v charger). Measuring with my multimeter, two were low and two were "normal" at about 13+ volts.

Sure hope that will be an easy fix for your problem too!

Tim
Thanks Tim. Yeah, I guess five years of Pocono TDG did the battery box in. With all of the other stuff I've been doing on Brutus, I completely forgot about battery PM. I had pulled the box and cleaned and painted the inside before the new batteries went in. That was in 2013. Strange that I had no symptoms. Brutus always started right up. I guess that's why it surprised me so much today. I may have to postpone the new fenders for a while and I still have to do three more sets of spring and shackle bushings on Major Motion (my 1952 Dodge P/U). And then there's the yardwork and the bathroom I'm in the middle of remodeling. I hope things are well with you and yours.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Tim. Yeah, I guess five years of Pocono TDG did the battery box in. With all of the other stuff I've been doing on Brutus, I completely forgot about battery PM. I had pulled the box and cleaned and painted the inside before the new batteries went in. That was in 2013. Strange that I had no symptoms. Brutus always started right up. I guess that's why it surprised me so much today. I may have to postpone the new fenders for a while and I still have to do three more sets of spring and shackle bushings on Major Motion (my 1952 Dodge P/U). And then there's the yardwork and the bathroom I'm in the middle of remodeling. I hope things are well with you and yours.
Hi Owen. Yes sir, it seems that the more things you have the more projects there are.
I went back to re-read about the handle coming off in your hand.

No rest I guess, but spring might be coming soon.
And then the yard work really goes bonkers!

All is well with my crew. Hope yours is as well!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like your new tires. They look like 11R-20s to me. Are those 2 hole Budd wheels or stock Deuce rims? What make are they? Are they tubeless? Who did you purchase them from? I hope you don't mind answering my questions.
I have a whole thread on it, in Deuce Mods. It's a commercial wheel/tire set up for the Deuce.

They're custom 24.5x8.25 wheels with 11r24.5 tires. They are budd wheels, now and tubeless, though I suppose I could use tubes if I wanted.

I bought blank aluminum wheels and took them to a machine shop to get the lug pattern drilled. Had them anodized black.

The drive tires are Goodyear G741 retreads and the steer tires are Bridgestone M843.

Attachments

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what my deuce did to me today. I took it on its and mine first maiden voyage to Grandmas for dinner about 35 min away. Found out my heater core still leaking after being repaired mine also has a dented tube from being over tightened even though I clamped after it it’s still dripping going to bypass the heater core. So I make it to Grandmas go to leave and my DS window has come off track the clips fell off it won’t go up, it’s warm out no problem turned my lights on “push button switch” checked high beams went to pull out headlights went out, my switch blinked and went all blue headlights would not come back on. I play around with that to no avail nothing shut truck off parking lights still on won’t turn off flipped switch on and off still nothing, disc neg terminal they went out put terminal back on markers light up truck still turned off, took negative terminal back off drove grandmas car home deuce still at grandmas lol I think it hates me. after doing some research I believe my switch is bad going to put a lever switch on. New tires did well truck drove great with the wobble does not like going up hills loves going down them. So tomorrow wife will follow me home and I’ll let you guys know what happens

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I think I know what my issue is however I wanted some input. So my starter has been completely rebuilt & tested so its good. I have new group 31 batteries, cables are all good and a new starter button as well. I hit the start button the starter solenoid clicks so I'm thinking just replace it & I should be good. Checked all my cables for corrosion, they are clean & ground are tight. Any other suggestions or do you think I'm right about the solenoid?? Is there a way to double check the solenoid??

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scm35a2 mine does same thing might do it 4 times then it will start. I haven’t replaced or rebuilt anything once I get my other issues. corrected that’s next

Dipstick

I have a whole thread on it, in Deuce Mods. It's a commercial wheel/tire set up for the Deuce.

They're custom 24.5x8.25 wheels with 11r24.5 tires. They are budd wheels, now and tubeless, though I suppose I could use tubes if I wanted.

I bought blank aluminum wheels and took them to a machine shop to get the lug pattern drilled. Had them anodized black.

The drive tires are Goodyear G741 retreads and the steer tires are Bridgestone M843.
Thanks for your answers Montaillou! It's a really neat idea! I doubt I could afford to do it, but I will definitely be reading your post in Deuce Mods!

Dipstick

I looked at the link to pre-drilled 22.5" Budd/Disc wheels in Montaillou's post. They have the exact bolt pattern and pilot hole diameter the Deuce uses. This would be the way I'd go if money was no object. Seven new rims and tires is way to much money for my wallet to handle. I just ordered a plastic battery box today. Two new batteries are next. Ouch!

jasonjc

I do like the idea of 22.5 or 24.5 wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks