• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome back! Sorry to hear you had to give up your truck.

My wife has a 2012 JK she bough new. It’s been a half decent vehicle once Chrysler got their cylinder head issues figured out on the 3.6. If you have any clock spring related problems, check with the dealer, it will most likely still be covered under recall. If the heater core leaks there is a hack fix that will save hours on not having to remove the entire dash. Keep an eye on the rear brake pads as they are tiny and wear twice as fast as the fronts. Also, be sure not to over tighten the oil filter cap and watch the oil filter/cooler housing it screws into that sits down under the intake for oil or coolant leaks. Not a bad job to fix, just a terrible plastic design. Just a few of the things that pop to mind. Also, I have a bunch of factory parts including pretty much the entire brake system, give me a yell if you need anything!IMG_9885.jpg

Dipstick

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you had to give up your truck.

My wife has a 2012 JK she bough new. It’s been a half decent vehicle once Chrysler got their cylinder head issues figured out on the 3.6. If you have any clock spring related problems, check with the dealer, it will most likely still be covered under recall. If the heater core leaks there is a hack fix that will save hours on not having to remove the entire dash. Keep an eye on the rear brake pads as they are tiny and wear twice as fast as the fronts. Also, be sure not to over tighten the oil filter cap and watch the oil filter/cooler housing it screws into that sits down under the intake for oil or coolant leaks. Not a bad job to fix, just a terrible plastic design. Just a few of the things that pop to mind. Also, I have a bunch of factory parts including pretty much the entire brake system, give me a yell if you need anything
Great to hear from you Jbulach! That is a fine looking Rubi you're wife has there! You know my email now, so please don't hesitate to email me. I'd love to have a discussion on Deuces and JKs with you any time. I want to show respect for my fellow soldiers and not post too much Jeep stuff here. I used to trade emails with Mullaney a lot. A real first class guy Mullaney. So send me an email. I have some pictures highlighting some of the things I did to make "Brutus" a better Deuce that you may be interested in. Thanks again for a great post!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello my friends! It's Dipstick. I hope some of you remember me. I sold Brutus several months ago. As I am rapidly approaching 71 years of age, I felt I was no longer able to maintain Brutus the right way. That along with rust and my constantly dwindling financial status also took they're toll. I now drive a 2012 Jeep JK, which is remarkably similar to driving a Deuce! It feels like I'm driving a mini-Deuce. I love it. I hope everyone is doing well!!!
71 is young, I had a triple bypass at 76 (less than a month from having a widow maker had it not been treated).

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello my friends! It's Dipstick. I hope some of you remember me. I sold Brutus several months ago. As I am rapidly approaching 71 years of age, I felt I was no longer able to maintain Brutus the right way. That along with rust and my constantly dwindling financial status also took they're toll. I now drive a 2012 Jeep JK, which is remarkably similar to driving a Deuce! It feels like I'm driving a mini-Deuce. I love it. I hope everyone is doing well!!!
Hello @Dipstick !

Long time no talk... I hate to hear that you decided to let your Deuce go. It was an amazing little truck. Yeah, I know it's hard to work on these things as you get older - but what I do now is work and rest, work and rest, and so on. We had a few days of warm weather around here last week, so I did a little more chipping and scraping and painting on my M936. Went out to crank up my M1088 and it clicked. Nothing more. It has always had a slow drain on the batteries. It will crank like a dream - so long as it doesn't sit for more than a week. It was three weeks so I gotta charge the batteries. The bad part is that I have a maintainer to plug it in to, but you have to DO it...

Don't hesitate to email me.
Talk to you later.

Tim Mullaney

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Great to hear from you Jbulach! A real first class guy Mullaney. So send me an email. I have some pictures highlighting some of the things I did to make "Brutus" a better Deuce that you may be interested in. Thanks again for a great post!
Dipstick, those pics been posted already; like how about right here?!

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my second Deuce. In the three weeks I have owned it I have managed to accomplish a few things. Changed engine oil/filters, radiator coolant/filter and air filter. All other fluids checked. Serviced and reinstalled Garwood winch, and adjusted PTO. Paint, lots of green paint. Fabricated rubber bumpers at all hood rubber points. New lenses on turn signals and tail lights. Swapped 9 x 20 NDT tires for 10 x 20 all-terrain truck tires. Installed Jatonka winch cover, winter boots and reupholstered passenger seat base. Rebuilt drivers spring seat base. New windshield frames. Replaced the brake light switch only to find out the air pack is bad. Locking door handles. Shimmed transfer case frame mounts. Too many other minor adjustments to mention. Last I install a set of AVM front locking hubs. Next up install 80 amp alternator and replace anirpack along with all brake hoses. It’s raining here in Arizona, so I new set of 24 V wiper motors are inbound. Oh yeah, still trying to find the appropriate tire pressure. Had to come up with a solution for removing the inner tire valve stem caps because my hands are too big to reach through the rim holes. Problem solved with a 3/8 oak dowel and a piece of plastic tubing 😎

Attachments

Last edited:

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent, mweidhaas!

But now, how do one know that you're not just saying that?

Is there a pic?!

And then of course any pic might be photoshopped...

The world gets more and more fun every day!!

Attachments

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between the primary fuel filter and the water pump there is very little room for big hands like mine. It took me a good 3 hours to install 5 bolts. My advice to anyone considering this modification is either do it with the engine out of the frame or move the primary fuel filter rearwards 8 inches.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Between the primary fuel filter and the water pump there is very little room for big hands like mine. It took me a good 3 hours to install 5 bolts. My advice to anyone considering this modification is either do it with the engine out of the frame or move the primary fuel filter rearwards 8 inches.
Betting the vocabulary inside that garage turned very colorful by the final torque that you put on Bolt No. 5!

:naner: :mrgreen: :naner:

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The airpack I bought "new" needed to have three of the threaded connections chased. Both hydraulic @ 1/2-20 and the rear mounting bolt @ 1/2-13. Greased the tap and then cleaned up with a box of Qtips. So far so good, brakes work good but are now a bit touchy.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks