• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Windshield Wiper Upgrade. Replaced the standard issue air wiper motors with 24V "Jeep" motors and then cut the shafts down to fit. The standard 7" blades are a joke. These motors have 3/16" bayonet mounts on the arms. So United Pacific I/N 110424 is a 13" SS blade that fits nicely.

Attachments

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove to the grocery store 5 miles away and back. Only lost about 3/4 oz of DOT5...... Other than that the brakes worked good.

Finally got the parts to replace the right steer hose & banjo fitting. It's only Monday, still have the rest of the week to get to it......

Dipstick

Hello @Dipstick !

Long time no talk... I hate to hear that you decided to let your Deuce go. It was an amazing little truck. Yeah, I know it's hard to work on these things as you get older - but what I do now is work and rest, work and rest, and so on. We had a few days of warm weather around here last week, so I did a little more chipping and scraping and painting on my M936. Went out to crank up my M1088 and it clicked. Nothing more. It has always had a slow drain on the batteries. It will crank like a dream - so long as it doesn't sit for more than a week. It was three weeks so I gotta charge the batteries. The bad part is that I have a maintainer to plug it in to, but you have to DO it...

Don't hesitate to email me.
Talk to you later.

Tim Mullaney
Great to hear from you Tim!!! It's been a while. Well, for me it was cost, rust and time. I worried so much about Brutus that it took some of the enjoyment out of owning him. I recently had my Jeep JK refitted with geared limited slip and deeper 3.73 gears in both axles. With the lower gears (and much better power on hills) it's a lot like driving a Deuce. And with posi, it is killer diller in snow. I even have taller, super knobby snow tires on it. Just like a mini-bobber! Battery drain huh? I once had that problem on my 1952 Dodge P/U. I found it by accident when I was installing a new heater core and fan unit. The fan power wire had a bare spot right where it went through the metal heater case. There was no grommet. I fixed that. Now his battery stays charged. It takes patience and/or luck to find a grounding problem sometimes. First, I would look for anything that is still powered up when the master switch is off. Such as an add on CB radio or something powered by an auxiliary fused connector to a positive battery post. Next, I would start inspecting for dried, cracked wires under the hood, behind the dash panel, or near the lights. Cracked wiring may be exposed to ground at some point. I think I may still have your email, but mine is owen@ptd.net. Give me a shout. I'd love to hear from you! Owen

Dipstick

It's a rust-sealer like Rustoleum?
Hi Ahab! Yeah, I rebuilt my parking brake too. The hardest part was attaching the cable to the hand brake lever end and getting it bolted down again. I finally ran the bolts up from the bottom and duct taped the bolt heads to the underside of the floor. That enabled me to get locks and nuts on in the cab. Ya gotta watch those hand brake cables. They can rust to the inside of their jacket and make you think something is wrong with the linings or the clearance (air gap between drum and shoes).

Dipstick

Oil filters are not too much a problem for me so far, however the fuel filters are another story. Definitely will look into a spin on set up for at least the two twin secondary filters.
I installed all three spin-on fuel filters. The primary filter below the alternator even came with a water/sediment drain valve. It's a good thing to do for your MV.

Dipstick

71 is young, I had a triple bypass at 76 (less than a month from having a widow maker had it not been treated).
SCSG I'm sure glad you didn't have a widow maker. I know I'm not THAT old, but I think I have arthritis in my ankles, which makes it harder to crawl under things. Most of the stuff I did was sitting on a concrete floor (or driveway) under my Deuce. I never used creepers, because I was always light and flexible. Not so much anymore.

Dipstick

Fresh paint on the bumperetts. My buddy also installed a new master cylinder as mine was leaking quite a bit of fluid. That stuff is too expensive to let it continue to leak out.
Painting parts like that really makes you feel like you're making your rig better. My specialty was getting 50% of the paint or anti-seize on me. Be thankful Deuces use Dot 5. That damn Dot 3 has screwed up the paint on my 1952 Dodge more than once!

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure I agree with this. Where else but the manifold is before the turbo?
My first deuce had the thermocouple directly upstream from the exhaust gas side of the turbo. Ran 1100F and occasionally 1200F for short durations. Aluminum melts at 1425F. Had to pay attention as my pump was turned up.

ToddJK

Windshield Wiper Upgrade. Replaced the standard issue air wiper motors with 24V "Jeep" motors and then cut the shafts down to fit. The standard 7" blades are a joke. These motors have 3/16" bayonet mounts on the arms. So United Pacific I/N 110424 is a 13" SS blade that fits nicely.
That looks good. I bet performs much better too. I left the pneumatic wipers on mine but replaced the wiper arms with ANCO and ANCO wiper blades, so much better than the stock version. Only con, need to turn the air way up to get speed on the wipers as the new arms and blades have a lot more pressure on them vs stock, but wiper upgrades on a deuce imo, priceless!

mweidhaas

Wheaty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally installed this A/C unit that I been having for a long time just laying around. Its an electric compressor unit, I just need to get hoses for it
Interesting placement of the evaporator unit. On my first deuce I went the more traditional route. Bought a hose crimping kit, a vacuum pump and ac charging gauges. Worked fairly well but I think the condenser was too small for my Phoenix Summers. Since I now have an 80A alternator I am considering one the newer 24 VDC all in one roof vent AC units.

Attachments

Hummer Guy

Interesting placement of the evaporator unit. On my first deuce I went the more traditional route. Bought a hose crimping kit, a vacuum pump and ac charging gauges. Worked fairly well but I think the condenser was too small for my Phoenix Summers. Since I now have an 80A alternator I am considering one the newer 24 VDC all in one roof vent AC units.
The 24v rooftop A/C is what I used in the humvee, the one I used in the deuce is pretty much the same thing, but it separates the compressor and condenser. I mounted the condenser on the roof and the compressor in the bed. I will duct the A/C to blow cold air from 4 different areas up front, one on each of the passenger/driver side and 2 in the middle.

I notice in the humvee it made a huge difference on how cool it keeps the cabin when I actually ducted the A/C instead of just having the evaporator blow cold air in the middle

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I found out the steering shaft is 7/8”-20 thread …. And it’s not a normally stocked size. I tried to change the steering wheel to an 18” version and my makeshift puller that I had pushing against the nut actually crushed the threads on one side. It worked perfectly on the 53 but this one was rusty. I ordered a tap and die set and got it fixed thank goodness.

IMG_5512.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks