• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

lawdog1623

absolutely! one thing that scares the crud outta me is cancer! i put my swat gas mask on and went at it...i even used it while i was blasting parts in a blast cabinet...my buddy was laughing at me and calling me a moron. i told him he wouldnt be laughing when he woke up with a cancerous nipple on his head after just standing around watching me do it...

indy4x4fab

Banned
Question, if say I had a m105a2 from 1968 and I had taken a flap wheel to the paint on it and only to its surface rust spot to prep it for a repaint and it had never been vsv rebuilt still had the late 70s early 80s repaint on it and hadn't been wearing any protective gear other then a yard work dust mask, and did shower after becoming completely covered in the od green dust, am I ok if I never started coughing after I was all done?

Second was that trailer actually painted with carc then?

Picture in cluded so you can see what kinda paint job I'm talking about. Did they even have carc paint back in the 1968?

Attachments

lawdog1623

im no expert brother, but i would definitely say that ur trailer was painted with the bad stuff. I have an m105 trailer mfg date of 92 and it has carc as well. I would also say that a paper mask is in no way sufficient if you were to be doing any type of removal. I also have to think that you will be ok if you're not doing this on a regular basis. Ive done my research and its no joke that this stuff hazardous but everything im seeing is from people who worked with this stuff for years....just make sure you're taking the necessary precautions....you can buy a suit pretty cheap and for sure invest in a good full face mask if you're going to be restoring these beauties regularly....it amazes me that people smoke for many many years and dont have problems until way later in life, but something like carc paint has a reputation such that people think you will fall over dead the minute you breathe the stuff. It is definitely not safe, but neither is walking into a smoky bar or working in the attics of very old homes or buildings. Pick your poison my friend, just try to be very careful. :grin: I would definitely consult this site before doing anything, because the guys here know their stuff and ive learned a whole lot from just reading threads.

Kohburn

with pretty much any of these "cancer causing agents" , a short exposure will do no long term damage. the guys that really had to worry were the ones dealing with it regularly.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I don't think mine was carc cause the hole trailer was smooth paint no texter, unlike carc's normal texter, and it was semi gloss dark od green under that paint in the picture, plus the top coat or newer pain job (mean last paint job 20 years ago) looked like it was brushed on.

Last edited:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved my deuce from her secure (weekends and after 6PM) outside storage lot (@ $45.00 per month and located 16 miles from my house), to an inside storage facility (barn) that is <1 mile from my house and only costs $25.00 per month. The owner provides "armed" security.

Parking in my driveway is fine where I live, but the barn keeps it inside. Mainly, it cuts down on the attention and unwanted visitors who want to ask all of those wonderful questions!

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a parade with it yesterday then I installed my bows and cargo cover. I then changed all my rubber rope to new since it was pretty dry and cracking. Today not much just mounted a fire extquinisher and bracket in the cab.

Seth_O

I finally got serious on my cargo cover project for my M105-bobbed deuce. When I bought the trailer it came with 9 of the 10 requisite bow pieces (all wood was rotten/gone.) I got a new metal support w/corner only to find that mine were not regulation length evidently? The 'new' one was MUCH shorter, but still the right size to fit. I figured I would just run it - this is a work truck not a showpiece. I got the new wood cut, and wire-wheeled all the metal pieces clean. While wire-wheeling I discovered that the 9 original metal supports had been lengthened! They had some metal additions welded onto the bottom and were then bondo'd and painted to match. It was good work actually (if you go in for bondo, which I don't.)

I blew paint on saturday (Behr flat latex house-paint through my cheap-o HF spray gun - worked like a champ.) Now to let the parts cure so I can put on my new-to-me cargo cover (thanks to Kublos, ken's a great guy.....)

After that I made a dump run and blew my head gasket (I think, still investigating, but it sure looks like it.)

Anyone ever heard of folks lengthening the bow supports on the M105's?

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went on a road trip today to Saginaw. I had to stop out to a customers and thought it would be good to get some miles on the Oddball express. I stopped by a buds house to get the new graphics. Since I am a Christian I renamed the 109 "Infidel" In English and Arabic. I talked to Unclemikey and he gave me permission to use his name since he changed his Deuce to another one.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Infidel, in Christianity often means one who does not believe in the Muslim faith, and then for Muslims, vice-versa.

It is often used as a term for non-believers of any faith. It might be misconstrued by Christians and Muslims alike, due to the ambigous interpretation which might only become clear if used properly in a sentence. Of course, you know what you mean, but others may not, so you might become a moving target from any man of faith. Best wishes Don. You know I love ya like a brother, but this one may be a problem for you down the road.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got thumbs up all day even by the cops. Thanks for the heads up. I will heed the warning. The 1 cop at the rest stop said the truck looks like it just came back from deployment from some desert some where with the writing on it. Said it looks official. lol

Have a blessed day Dell.[thumbzup]

lawdog1623

Well i finally got the doors off. I ended up having to drill out and tap all new holes and use new hardware. I hung the pass. Door and all was good. Then after tapping the driver side i noticed water coming from behind the dash after the rain. Basically i ended up pulling the dash off and discovering rust damage under the windshield frame on the driver side. Looks like im gonna have to splice a piece of hood cowling in on the driver side to properly correct it. I looked under the dash and saw a lot of rusted out areas on the driver side. Has anyone had to do something similar? This seems to be common damage. Most people i know didnt fix it but i want it completely repaired. Call me obsessive. At any rate, my project has met its first wall!

SMOKEWAGON66

I made license plate holders for mine....I need to take some pix so...pics forthcoming. [thumbzup]
I welded a couple of pieces of strap and angle iron and bolted to the rear left of the bed so it hangs down next to the tail light. the front I just put a piece of angle iron on the grille and drilled holes for the top of the plate. I might add a lower bracket later but I ran out of small angle iron lol.

SMOKEWAGON66

Infidel, in Christianity often means one who does not believe in the Muslim faith, and then for Muslims, vice-versa.

It is often used as a term for non-believers of any faith. It might be misconstrued by Christians and Muslims alike, due to the ambigous interpretation which might only become clear if used properly in a sentence. Of course, you know what you mean, but others may not, so you might become a moving target from any man of faith. Best wishes Don. You know I love ya like a brother, but this one may be a problem for you down the road.
While I agree with you 3d...My 2 cents is that since he has the Arabic chicken scratch above it, I would think that he is clearly stating to muslims that he is an infidel...which I actually find quite humorous :beer:

crazywelder72

i removed my fuel tank, pump, sender. pressure washed and steam cleaned the inside. plasma cut a hole in the baffle into the rear third of the tank so i can clean that out also. (doing that today) Jacked out the dent that was pushing the drain plug up, now its sits nice and low. re-tapped the holes for the pump and sender.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks