• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

np2ij

replaced 2 airpacks and got the deuce stopping the way the Air Force intended. What a PitA it was, 2 rebuild kits on 2 packs and still no brakes. new packs and it was a miracle.. Brakes!!!! After 150 mile shakedown ride, the breaks are working normally.

HASSON1911

Chaged filters and batteries on crew cab. Tried to start my crew cab. Found out starter needs work, hung up bushings. Also, tried to pulled start it, not even popping. Think the fuel shut off is stuck. I have fuel at the final and the in tank pump works. So thats what will be coming up to work on

Not "to" but "with"my Deuce. The Deuce makes an excellent large flat platform when you need to do trim work on the home. I had to replace some weathered roof facing and some of the planking that forms the eaves of my home this weekend. Also makes a great ladder for trimming branches off my large oaks.

LC

caliber1

Replaced the air pack. Wow, is that what good brakes feel like. It will lock up the Michelins easily. Should have done this to begin with instead of rebuilding it. auaLesson learned.

jake1086

I... put my new michelin XL's and wheels from stazworks on the front of my deuce, this week I'd like to start bobbing the rear.

I also made a new battery tray for under the passenger seat, replaced the two batteries.

After straining some WMO into my tank, I used an oily rag to wipe down the severely oxidized paint and WOW! What a difference! I decided to try the same trick on my ancient dry tires. Wiped on just enough oil to give a moist shiny coat and about 15 minutes later, they were dry again. 5 wiped-on coats later, the tires are blacker and actually look less than 40 years old! Now that the oxidized paint has been cleaned up and looking a little fresher, I decided to have the wife take a couple pics of me working on the deuce.

Attachments

HASSON1911

How long does that oil last on the paint, I might try that next time I go into a car show or parade if it last. I don't like carc dry look but love her when she is wet.

How long does that oil last on the paint, I might try that next time I go into a car show or parade if it last. I don't like carc dry look but love her when she is wet.
I left the oil on for a few days to see how much good it would do for the aged, weathered and heavily oxidized paint. Yesterday upon closer inspection, I saw the fine dusting of wind-bourne dust that collected on the hood, so I got a soapy rag, hosed and washed the hood, side engine covers and front fenders. after a little drying time in the sun, the dirt, oil and oxidised paint were gone leaving some fresh matte-finish CARC paint behind, and the tires look much better than before. Sometime soon, I'll be washing down the rest of the truck and dusting out the cab. She just keeps getting better! I love that stinky old beast!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Made the leap into the land of RV man cave duces. Went out to Ft Riley and picked up my recent win a 1976 S280 shelter with a new working RV air conditioner/heater mounted in the roof. It also appears to have recently rewired with new florescent lights and breakers. Not sure what I am going to do with the inside yet. All I know is the unit carpenter put in some well made cabinets. Going to spend the next couple of days cleaning it up. Got the shelter tie down kit coming from Gimpy. Putting one of these bad boys in the back knocks down the top speed by about 5MPH.

The funny thing was the GL fork truck guy asked me if I was sure it would fit in the bed, I had to give him a quick history lesson that the shelter was designed to fit in the back of the duce!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks