• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

mjcdetroit

uploadfromtaptalk1399693802503.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399693824312.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399693907527.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399693925708.jpg

Hooked up the coolant filter.

Then used an "easy-out" (which wasn't all that easy) to remove that evil, evil, evil male pipe plug in the rear of the block for the circulating tank block heater. Special thanks to Darrell from Bridgewater (Johnson Controls) and Scott from American Axle for the help & tools.

Tomorrow the block heater and then put everything back together and refill her.

DeucesWild11

Finally fixed and remounted my gas tank on the deuce. Another botched job from the guy who bobbed it. He mounted it too low with not enough bolts so it broke off. Now I have better clearance and better bolts! Had it strapped up since Sept 13, nice to see it fixed now..

You can see in my avatar how low it used to hang..

Kloakndagr

Been busy, went down south to pick up the hitch that one of our members had posted as "free". It was truely a "good deal" for me to drive the 10 hour round trip, got to eat some good Mexican food and visits some good friends. Finished building and installing the loft bed (OPloft bed), walled in a bathroom wall. Picked up 1/2 wine barrel shower pan project. Repaired and reinstalled the glad hands. Project is coming along nicely.

SteveKuhn

Fired it up to shake out the winter cobwebs before parades and displays begin in a couple of weeks. Found out why the TM says to lubricate and exercise the hand brake every 30 days when it's in storage.

Steve

Carlo

image.jpgI loaded it on the trailer to take it to a WW2 veterans reunion. WW2 vets are getting fewer every year. I hope we don't forget them!
i have no idea why the photo is upside down. Sorry.

wilfreeman

I finished rebuilding my troop seats and headache rack on the bobber. My Brother's shop sanded them down and finished them with spar varnish last week. I also fabbed up a fuel cap lock using a design I saw on Steel Soldiers as a start. Lastly, I straightened out and repainted my aluminum boarding ladder that I ran over a couple of weeks ago while turning the truck around in the yard. We have a car show benefiting The Wounded Warrior Project this Saturday. I'll be taking my M38a1 too.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Thanks for the pictures, hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas; especially the locking gas cap & spar varnish refinished troop seats. That wood really lends itself to a personal touch.

That said, I picked up an M105A2 trailer this weekend to add to the Deuce collection.

The fuel screen in the fuel tank was clogged with what appears to be varnish from the military, so after soaking in a bucket of acetone, most of the varnish is gone. It was so clogged, that nothing would pass thru the filter; upon trying to refuel, you had to remove the screen assembly, or nothing would go into the tank. Now it passes fuel freely.

The bridge plates were missing, so they were added as a touch I wanted. Anything else will have to wait for future weekends & a few extra $$$ to fund them. So much more fun than a civy truck!

Yes, there are the fuel filters, oil filters, etc to be changed, but there is only so much time in a day to get it all done. All of the afore mentioned items are sitting in the floorboard of the truck, waiting to be installed! :driver:
I finished rebuilding my troop seats and headache rack on the bobber. My Brother's shop sanded them down and finished them with spar varnish last week. I also fabbed up a fuel cap lock using a design I saw on Steel Soldiers as a start. Lastly, I straightened out and repainted my aluminum boarding ladder that I ran over a couple of weeks ago while turning the truck around in the yard. We have a car show benefiting The Wounded Warrior Project this Saturday. I'll be taking my M38a1 too.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Thanks for the pictures, hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas; especially the locking gas cap & spar varnish refinished troop seats. That wood really lends itself to a personal touch.
Not at all - I got the fuel cap idea off of here. My Brother owns a body shop and has refinished a few older trucks with oak beds that turned out great with the spar varnish. We were shooting for a customized original looking resto on this truck with a few modern conveniences (yet to come). We think the natural oak does compliment the tan too.

If you need a close up shot of the bracket on the fuel cap bar, let me know.

Dipstick

I replaced my transmission output and transfer case input seals. I also installed new u-joints on the drive shaft that connects them. Our test drive was a success. I hope to replace the other two transfer case seals and the remaining four u-joints soon.

Rmtaunton

Driven her about 300 miles this week tearing down a house north of me, she has hauled 50 bales of straw, pulled several dumpsters around and broken to shear pins on winch, trying to pull out skid steer out, think I got bad sheer pins was barely holding brake when they broke

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between the last two weekends and a couple days this week I finally installed my cab reinforcement plate. I also reinstalled my batteries, installed a new solargizer, installed a bed cover hook, modified and installed a another antenna mount, and started the deuce for the first time since december. I took out my batteries to charge them in december, and one project/fix/improvement led to another... I built the battery box insert/hold down a couple months ago but didn't reinstall the batteries since I decided to redo some wiring etc.

Attachments

Dipstick

Are the U-joints actually bad?
Brian,
No, they were as good as the day they were installed. My seals were gushing gear oil (especially the transmission output) so I had to remove the shaft. I ordered the u-joints with the seals just in case they were needed and decided to install them anyway. It was a lot of work for a 61 year old like me. I finished the rear drive shaft yesterday. I still have the front driveshaft to do. Probably next week. Thanks for asking. Hope you are well.
Owen

airmech3839

Finally got started getting my IP changed. Since I am in there I am gonna have the Radiator cored (it was seeping at the bottom weld). Swapping to spin on filters for both oil and fuel and gonna change the belts out. Truck has sat awhile so I will be changing all fluids eventually. I will be draining the tank and rinsing it out then putting clean fuel in. I have a long road ahead but I am well on the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks