• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Any jack stand can fail. I hate everything made in China. Unfortunately I couldn't find American made jack stands. My Craftsmans are even made in China. I work as a manager in steel fabrication and I can honestly say that sometimes American made isn't always better. Some days I am ashamed of the craftsmanship my employees produce. I live near Reading Pa. and the talent pool isn't very deep around here. If I had to choose between jack stands made in my shop and one's made in China, I think I would go with China. I am ashamed of myself for saying this but it true.

dslucas

Yeah....but I have them on the stock split rims so it has to be a tube or a stem. Want to get away from those rims anyways so Ill start the migration now lol.

rustystud

Any jack stand can fail. I hate everything made in China. Unfortunately I couldn't find American made jack stands. My Craftsmans are even made in China. I work as a manager in steel fabrication and I can honestly say that sometimes American made isn't always better. Some days I am ashamed of the craftsmanship my employees produce. I live near Reading Pa. and the talent pool isn't very deep around here. If I had to choose between jack stands made in my shop and one's made in China, I think I would go with China. I am ashamed of myself for saying this but it true.
I was a metal fabricator for 10 years. Did the "endless bead" . Now that company is gone (along with all the others who supplied the fishermen). They went out of business 25 years ago. They could not compete with the cheap prices from Asia. So now in America the men who used to work at this trade are getting fewer and fewer every day. All that knowledge is not being passed on like it was in my time. So if someone wants to start up a fab shop today you will be "hard pressed" to find anyone who even knows which end of the "stinger" to hold !
Sad to say but America has become a "Tech" industry country only. Almost all manufacturing has gone overseas. Even the stuff for our military is starting to come from overseas !
Getting back to the jackstands, I use the ones from Harbour Freight. On the deuce I use the 6 or 12 ton models. They seem to hold OK.

I've always been one to buy the best that I can afford. Lately I've had to buy the best I can find. There are a lot less hi quality products available today. For years Americans have embraced the idea that foreign is exotic and that more is better. It wasn't until the 70s that people started saying (they don't make them like they used to) that's about the same time the foreign envision started.

SteveKuhn

Well, I'm a geek for a living and have absolutely no qualfications, so there. My point wasn't who makes them. Half of mine are HF.

My point was and always is - use a safety or backup of some type. :deadhorse:

There's lots of room for spare cribbing or jack stands in that photo.

Steve

KaiserM109

My son and I dropped the starter motor and I am trying to gather enough courage to take it apart. It (not the engine) locked up.

I knew it was going to be heavy, so I had him put a strap around it before I pulled it off the studs.

rustystud

Well, I'm a geek for a living and have absolutely no qualfications, so there. My point wasn't who makes them. Half of mine are HF.

My point was and always is - use a safety or backup of some type. :deadhorse:

There's lots of room for spare cribbing or jack stands in that photo.

Steve
I thought you where a metal fabricator ?

Hitman

m109A3 box

took out old floor and put in new floor.I used a Asphalt under coating for the 1/8 " steel plate.paint the top of the new foolr and then lay down a new wood floor over it. still \more pics to come.

026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg037.jpg038.jpg034.jpg036.jpg

Attachments

SRB1976

Removed the CTIS components from each wheel. Truck drives a lot better, no more shaking. I do have a little gear oil leaking from one of the hollow studs though.

IMG_20150826_180948689_HDR[1].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks