• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new wood all around the bed. Can't wait to finally paint the whole truck.

View attachment 612018
Where did you find the pointed top bows? Home grown?

Looks good.
G'day everyone,....

That pointed bows are the roof of the car-port the deuce is parked under.
Take a closer look.

Aussie.
Yep, it's just my carport. Thanks.
DANG ! You got me with that "TIN ROOFED CARGO BED". I should go to bed earlier.
Looking more closely - without the fatigue - I can see it IS just your carport and NOT a Tin Roof over your Deuce's bed.
(EMBARRASSED!!!)

It's funny what the eyes will see at a glance.

Thanks.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DANG ! You got me with that "TIN ROOFED CARGO BED". I should go to bed earlier.
Looking more closely - without the fatigue - I can see it IS just your carport and NOT a Tin Roof over your Deuce's bed.
(EMBARRASSED!!!)

It's funny what the eyes will see at a glance.

Thanks.
I thought the same thing until I opened the picture. :)

pitpawten

Added air to the front tires, they were at 30 psi :| Now at 60psi I can actually steer the thing, go figure :)

Cleaning the tank and replacing fuel filters before the first fill-up is next on the list.

MatthewH

Added air to the front tires, they were at 30 psi :| Now at 60psi I can actually steer the thing, go figure :)

Cleaning the tank and replacing fuel filters before the first fill-up is next on the list.
How you planning on cleaning the tank? Mines got some junk in it, and I need to drain it and clean it out, just not sure the best way to do it. I'd love to swap to an A3 tank, so i won't have issues again.

pitpawten

How you planning on cleaning the tank? Mines for some junk in it, and I need to drain it and clean it out, just not sure the best way to do it. I'd love to swap to an A3 tank, so i won't have issues again.
I'm here searching threads in it currently to see what others have done :)

One is to add fuel, drain, add fuel drain. Doesn't sound complete enough to me to get crud out.

If it I we're to shoot from the hip without any reading I'd probably take it off and shake/tumble clean it with some kind of solvent followed by a couple of pressure washer flushes or something like that.

If it weren't for the baffles if be tempted to put sand (as an abrasive) and solvent in and snake it good. Then flush with LOTS of water to clean and finish with it hooked up to the leaf blower to dry it out.

That being said, though my "first instinct" works well enough most of the time, I'm reading up for a reason :)

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Met up with a fellow member and finally got my floor in the box welded up. Now the fun begins putting it all back together.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished putting the transmission back together after the 0.69 gear upgrade. Took me a while since I Had to order a new style 2nd gear with the oil passages drilled in it, couldn't find a machine shop in town that could modify/drill through the old one. Painted the inside of the cab while I had it all apart and was waiting, cleaned up all of the gauges with headlight restore. Slowly putting it all back together. Picked up some MRAP seats a while back and more than likely I will not put the companion bench back in and start building the base for the MRAPs since I have it out anyways, as time permits. Put the transmission back in yesterday finally, tried to cheat and put it and the PTO back in one unit, ran into some clearance issues while trying line the trans back in so had to pull it off, and the trans went back in like a dream. But since I have it off now, I noticed the PTO shift rail was leaking, so never a better time to do that repair while its off anyways. Not the easiest thing to keep taking on and off. So while I'm waiting on parts there, I'm buttoning up all the other stuff. Hope to drive it next weekend and test out the air shift retrofit I put in a few weeks ago (used to have a sprag) and the transmission upgrade. Been a **** of a project so hope all goes well.

archmark

After solving an air leak on my 5 ton two weekends ago, this past weekend was dedicated to finding an air leak somewhere under the hood of my M185A3. Initially it sounded like it was coming from the fuel system near the steering box, but after an hour or so of feeling up each part and piece from the topside, I decided to slide underneath and see what I could find. After going through the same routine, once I grabbed the copper line coming out from the compressor and running under the truck towards the rear, the leak increased and decreased as I applied pressure and then let off.

Long story short, the copper air line from the compressor had been resting against the end of a bolt and after a matter of time (how many years?) the sharp thread of the bolt finally rubbed through the copper line causing the air leak. Like I always say" it's the little things that will kill you first (physically & mentally!)...

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Mark (If it can happen, it'll happen to me)...

Attachments

Another Ahab

Long story short, the copper air line from the compressor had been resting against the end of a bolt and after a matter of time (how many years?) the sharp thread of the bolt finally rubbed through the copper line causing the air leak.
That's like the Hindu and Buddhist cosmology of time, which they measure in "Kalpas".

Here't the definition of one kalpa:

Imagine a gigantic rocky mountain at the beginning of kalpa, approximately 16 x 16 x 16 miles (dwarfing Mount Everest). You take a small piece of silk and wipe the mountain once every 100 years. According to the Buddha, the mountain will be completely depleted even before the kalpa ends.

​It's the study of Vedic literature through a Deuce-and-a-Half. Buddha would be pleased.

Last edited:

archmark

It Wasn't The Mountains That Needed Wiping...

That's like the Hindu and Buddhist cosmology of time, which they measure in "Kalpas".

Here't the definition of one kalpa:

Imagine a gigantic rocky mountain at the beginning of kalpa, approximately 16 x 16 x 16 miles (dwarfing Mount Everest). You take a small piece of silk and wipe the mountain once every 100 years. According to the Buddha, the mountain will be completely depleted even before the kalpa ends.

​It's the study of Vedic literature through a Deuce-and-a-Half. Buddha would be proud.
By the time I was finished chasing down both air leaks, learning what I didn't know about ferrules and inserts and figuring out how to get a wrench/saw blade/clamp into impossibly small places, it was more than the mountains that needed wiping. Shoulda' started with my Kalpas first...

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks