• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Changed my front diff fluid and corrected air pressure in all 10 tires. Also drove it to work for Memorial Day and went through the Square in Oxford on the way home. Rang the horns loud when circling around. Resonated beautifully throughout the square :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

Nah, a truck that searches for landmines. In this pic they are just outside the headlights.

View attachment 627198
View attachment 627197

With and without covers. I finally got rid of those dumb armored lights.
I love those armored lights ! In fact I have bought 8 of them so far and plan on buying more ! I know they can leak sometimes, but if you put some RTV sealant on the outer lens they seal up just fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the screws that hold the lens on get seized or stripped or or or. They just aren't as trouble free as I feel they should have been. I'm sure I'll do something with them eventually, just too much going on right now to mess with.

rustystud

Well, the screws that hold the lens on get seized or stripped or or or. They just aren't as trouble free as I feel they should have been. I'm sure I'll do something with them eventually, just too much going on right now to mess with.
I put anti-sieze on all the small machine screws, and dielectric grease on all the connectors inside. Yes it takes a little bit of time to work over each light but I feel it's worth it.

You didn't like the armored lights?

Edit: for some reason your post and Rusty's post which answered my question didn't show up for me. Disregard

Last edited:
I think you just need to send those pesky lights to me and save yourself all that unhealthy stress!

AZK9

Been trying to remove my leaking radiator in between the bursts of rain and high winds, but only having limited success lately. :neutral:

My deuce has a winch, which blocks 'easy removal' (if there is such a thing) from the front and seems to require removal of the fan.
I've done all the draining, fastener removal and also protected the radiator fins by shielding with a section of thin plywood.
All has gone relatively smoothly until this point (when I've got nice weather and a willing Soldier B to help me with the lifting and placement).

OK... so now I'm stuck trying to figure out if there's some tip, or trick used to accomplish the fan removal without damage to the blades.
Maybe it's just old fused-on bolts and almost no space to position hands and tools... but I'm at a frustrating standstill, and the clock
and calendar keep on advancing!

Now... if the fan was a dead horse... I suppose I'd be able to say that I'm making progress! :wink: But...
:deadhorse:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been trying to remove my leaking radiator in between the bursts of rain and high winds, but only having limited success lately. :neutral:

My deuce has a winch, which blocks 'easy removal' (if there is such a thing) from the front and seems to require removal of the fan.
I've done all the draining, fastener removal and also protected the radiator fins by shielding with a section of thin plywood.
All has gone relatively smoothly until this point (when I've got nice weather and a willing Soldier B to help me with the lifting and placement).

OK... so now I'm stuck trying to figure out if there's some tip, or trick used to accomplish the fan removal without damage to the blades.
Maybe it's just old fused-on bolts and almost no space to position hands and tools... but I'm at a frustrating standstill, and the clock
and calendar keep on advancing!

Now... if the fan was a dead horse... I suppose I'd be able to say that I'm making progress! :wink: But...
:deadhorse:
I have a deuce with a winch, and I can say that I most certainly had to remove the fan to pull the radiator out. The 4 (I think it was four if memory serves...) that hold the fan on were definitely hard to reach, but I recall them being more difficult to put back in than take out.

What I did was the following:

1. Of course, I drained the coolant.
  2. Removed the grill
  3. I then greatly loosened the two bolts below the radiator on the front engine mount (the bolts with the springs on them - heck you might just be able to undo them completely, which, obviously you'll need to do at some point to remove the radiator.)
  4. Undid the bracket that secured the top of the radiator to the engine (the engine side has this arm with a 'U' shaped end the bolt goes through that can pivot)
  5. Removed at least the top radiator hose (the bottom will need to be removed too at some point, so might as well if the fan isn't in the way too... sorry I don't recall)
  6. #'s 2, 3, 4, and 5 allowed me to tip the radiator forward (toward the winch) and I gained some much needed clearance to access the bolts holding on the fan.
  7. Next, I loosened the alternator and air compressor so the belts were also loose
  8. Then I found I could best reach my LEFT arm in from the upper passenger side of the radiator to put a socket on the bolts holding on the fan. It was only one at a time and I had to remove my arm, rotate the fan until the next bolt was accessible, and then reach back in and undo it.
  9. Once the fan is unbolted it's still a bit of figuring out how to get it out of there with the belts, but (I think) you should be able to worm things out at this point...

AZK9

... The 4 (I think it was four if memory serves...) that hold the fan on were definitely hard to reach, but I recall them being more difficult to put back in than take out. ...
Yup... [thumbzup] Thanks. I made up a wrench 'extension' that was thin enough to reach into the tight space and allow you some control.

I managed to start removing the fan bolts just as my Soldier B had to leave! Still, once I got the fan blades out of the way... it
was not too bad to lift straight up and out from behind the winch.

Now it's storming again, so I've been forced inside. Once the high winds calm back down... I think I might take a drive over to the
NAPA store to get new belts and hoses.

Having the radiator out is at least progress! :mrgreen: My wife thinks she'll have an easier time (than I) putting the 4 fan bolts back into place.
She enjoys working on the deuce when she can. It's fun that it's a family endeavor!

Another Ahab

Having the radiator out is at least progress! :mrgreen: My wife thinks she'll have an easier time (than I) putting the 4 fan bolts back into place.
She enjoys working on the deuce when she can. It's fun that it's a family endeavor!
That is very cool. You all are lucky! :beer:

AZK9

Now that I've got some room... I'm thinking of continuing to clean things up in those hard-to-reach places.

DeuceRadiatorOutFinally.jpg

Some paint, new hoses and belts are next. I wonder if I ought to install a coolant filtering system. I'll have to
check with the folks at NAPA to see if it's something they carry. I did a complete flush of everything and all is
clear-N-clean, but I'd like to keep it that way! I'm really not in a hurry to be buying another radiator. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks