• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the steering box oil, changed both front tires, and the oil pressure sending unit.........all is good.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Loaded firewood today.
Am tired of traipsing through the snow to get to the woodpile.
It's still fairly warm here in PA but winter is coming...
In the future, my woodpile is where I park the Deuce.
Don't come over for a visit when snow covers the driveway.
I expect my woodpile is going to block the door.
Thats the best reason to own an m105 if I've ever heard one!

rustystud

scored a m105 trailer for $500 about 90 miles away so took deuce on its longest trip with me, about 2/3 way though trip the atrocious roads here in loserana were bad enough to break off the steel plate i had welded over the bone ends and kicked off a lower inner, only clue something wasn't right was steering center changed slightly, pulled over to inspect the trailer and discover the right side rears were touching, had plenty of tools but forgot to grab a ratchet strap or two that would've helped to pull the axle back into position, put a wheel chock between the wheels and used the long bar from the gear type lug tool to lever the wheels apart with success, used jack (the bottle jack/jack stand combo tractor supply sells) against the tire to push the bone back onto the socket, found some yellow floating rope in the trailer and tied the left and right bones together till i could acquire a ratchet strap to drive the 50 odd miles home

well.....the 4 pictures i uploaded should be right here........, guess i gotta upload from computer if i want them to actually show up

trans and transfer case are full to the plug and leak a little at speed as evidenced in dogbone shot, sits nice and level with the 395s and lunette in up position
View attachment 698841View attachment 698842View attachment 698843View attachment 698844
You scored yourself a nice trailer there. Also showed good ingenuity in fixing the problem. [thumbzup]

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made it to Lubbock, unloaded my truck, and setup my workspace/tools/etc in my storage unit/"shop". It's large enough to fit all the junk from my house, shop, the M35A2, and the M38A1. If I recall, the size is 16ftX35ft w/a 13ft door.

After I unloaded the truck, I gave it the bikini top look (which I LOVE but couldn't always do because my old house was in the country and animals would get in to nest in my truck bed).

I also installed the fuel can holder (and fuel can) on the drivers fender/step. I'm not quite sure I like the fuel can holder (and fuel can) installed on the truck. I think it looks cleaner w/out the holder/can....I'm still deciding if it should stay or go.

View attachment 698375View attachment 698376
Ya even rolled the cargo cover the correct way! +1!

Looks great!

Also, I'm a fan of the spare fuel can look. I think MVs look good with one. (Some look good even with more if done right)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20170912_163212.jpg

Installed 80A alternator from Wolverine. Regulator on my mil spec alternator was letting go; at random, the belts would screech and the output voltage went through the roof.

Wolverine's unit comes anodized olive green, has a nifty bracket to support the rear and uses the original front mount.

Install was unproblematic and the unit is smaller than the military alternator, improving access to the filter below.

Thumbs up for a good product. Wolverine gives a Steelsoldiers discount and the price is right.

Also installed new Westach EGT probe; the old one appears to have died.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Changed Fuel filters, was having a lack of power over 45 problem, felt like a flutter at 45 then no more acceleration, Pretty dirty , only had 4100 miles on them . GOing to add some Power Service Silver ........... ~
You know you could put a real filter and just be done with it.
this one recirculates back to the tank whatever is not needed for the engine. Cleanest fuel, long time GI.
IMG_4242.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Today Deuce is a fixed fortification where none was to do a job
She still takes loads of driving just to warm up, even here.
Then parked Her and put the neighbors tree back up.
Deuce heavy for candy-a** driveways and couldn't get the angles to push or pull,
so did it the old fashioned way.

IMG_4265.jpgIMG_4266.jpgIMG_4267.jpgIMG_4270.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1759.jpg Thought I'd best post a picture this time. It's time for oil, filters, and compressor belt adjustment. Leaving the 18th for the MVCC Fall meet at Tower Park in Lodi.

Last edited:

Kharville

scored a m105 trailer for $500 about 90 miles away so took deuce on its longest trip with me, about 2/3 way though trip the atrocious roads here in loserana were bad enough to break off the steel plate i had welded over the bone ends and kicked off a lower inner, only clue something wasn't right was steering center changed slightly, pulled over to inspect the trailer and discover the right side rears were touching, had plenty of tools but forgot to grab a ratchet strap or two that would've helped to pull the axle back into position, put a wheel chock between the wheels and used the long bar from the gear type lug tool to lever the wheels apart with success, used jack (the bottle jack/jack stand combo tractor supply sells) against the tire to push the bone back onto the socket, found some yellow floating rope in the trailer and tied the left and right bones together till i could acquire a ratchet strap to drive the 50 odd miles home

well.....the 4 pictures i uploaded should be right here........, guess i gotta upload from computer if i want them to actually show up

trans and transfer case are full to the plug and leak a little at speed as evidenced in dogbone shot, sits nice and level with the 395s and lunette in up position
View attachment 698841View attachment 698842View attachment 698843View attachment 698844
Which direction did you travel to get it? Haven't seen any that close to us lately.

Maverick1701

I ended up doing some unexpected maintenance on my air filter housing today.
Normally when I check/clean my air filter (during my usual maintenance rounds) I check it/remove it from the side of the truck while standing on the ground. So I don't usually see the bottom of the housing due to the height. Today I removed the whole housing, not for any reason in particular, but I'm glad I did. I found A LOT of rust in the bottom of the housing. I gave it a quick/light sand to break up the majority of the rust, and then sprayed a layer of rustoleum "paint over the rust" paint. Hopefully it took care of the corrosion & I'l be good to go for another 50 years (my truck is a 1967 model). I forgot to get a picture before sanding, but these two pics are after a light sanding, and after paint.

Tomorrows project is to knock out my steering box leak. I'm going to drain the fluid and replace with John Deere corn head grease.

20170913_155906.jpg20170913_154927.jpg

FloridaAKM

I bought an Air Force deuce to match the one I have now, but in camo, Gov Planet auction just 25 miles North of me. This makes 2 1987 M35a2c trucks and one 1996 M-1081 LVAD LMTV.

Power is still out here in my AO, so no internet connection.

winfred

west from port allen to lafayette and south down 90 to jenerette was the route, found the trailer on louisiana sportsman, same guy has a 50s-60s iirc jeep with a v6 for sale, saw it but didn't look at it

Which direction did you travel to get it? Haven't seen any that close to us lately.

Maverick1701

Today I did some test fitting and found the location I'm going to permanent mount my intercom brain box. In my rig I run a softcomm aircraft intercom system for tunes & driver/pass comms. Currently it is secured by zip-ties (for the test fit). Tomorrow I'll run some tek-screws through the rear of the brain box housing and it'll be mounted permanently between the windows. If y'all are looking for a cheap alternative to the military comm systems (VIC3, VIC4, etc) I recommend a softcomm system. They come in 2 or 4 person (ATC2 & ATC4) and can be had super cheap via eBay.

20170914_155148.jpg20170914_155142.jpg20170914_155122.jpg20170914_154356.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks