• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I took the M35A2C to my friend Jason to flip my hubs and pun on my new wheels.
I have to say that after it was all said and done from the little companies and one big one I went to, grand total for rims, tires, hardware and labor to flip the hubs was about $3500! A great price fr improved fuel economy and a great new look!r
I think that this is an unbelievably good price, sir, given that it includes NEW tires, rims, adapters and the hub/axle job. You did very well IMHO.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that this is an unbelievably good price, sir, given that it includes NEW tires, rims, adapters and the hub/axle job. You did very well IMHO.

Now my bill was a little more at the shop but I had some other work done that popped up, Jason found some problems and promptly fixed them for a great price.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to ask about "flipping the hubs". Were they opposite what they are now (appears to be dish in)?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had them flipped because they where set up for the dual NDT stock tires, flipped them so they would not be deep dish. With them flipped they are in line with the front and will not hurt the bearings. You can mount them deep dish but that puts alot of strain on the bearings to my understanding.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My preference is dish out, but I'm confused about you having them "flipped". I saw you running Budd duals which have the wider hub face mounting surface, measured from face to face. To have dish out, that mounting surface has to move up next to the drum, a narrower width from face to face. Thus when going from Budd duals to a dish out single, the hub is turned end for end or "flipped". I guess I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it. Are you sure your hubs were "flipped"?

Edit...the dish out being used with the hub in the narrowest configuration is only slightly off center of the bearing, where putting dish out with them like your truck is now, does certainly put the tire center way outside (something I would not do but others here have).

I'm about to flip mine on my A3 4x4 project, so I don't have exactly the same wheels.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My preference is dish out, but I'm confused about you having them "flipped". I saw you running Budd duals which have the wider hub face mounting surface, measured from face to face. To have dish out, that mounting surface has to move up next to the drum, a narrower width from face to face. Thus when going from Budd duals to a dish out single, the hub is turned end for end or "flipped". I guess I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it. Are you sure your hubs were "flipped"?

Edit...the dish out being used with the hub in the narrowest configuration is only slightly off center of the bearing, where putting dish out with them like your truck is now, does certainly put the tire center way outside (something I would not do but others here have).

123_1_01.jpg
Yup.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got me....I don't understand.

I must be mistaken then that the hubs with duals are at the wider position, if yours ended up wide, they must have started narrow.

My A3 gets "flipped" so I can do dish out with the bearings properly located...would be a narrow face to face.

Last edited:

zanther

I got my Deuce back on the road for the first time in about a year. I had a main brake line burst last fall and decided to completely overhaul the brake system. All new lines (hard and soft), new wheel cylinders, rebuilt airpacks (it's a split system), replaced the MC, and went through all the wheel bearings. I had it mostly complete late last fall and then the rainy season started here in Seattle. I don't have a shop to work on it out of the weather so that slowed things down a bit. To really make things slow, my wife gifted me with our first child in April. I used to think I didn't have enough time to work on all my projects, now I really don't!

20180914_192426.jpg20180929_095951.jpg20180929_112410.jpg

CandygramForMongo

Picked up my first deuce over the weekend with 3 other friends. 150 miles home, only problem was the roof started to rip. Stopped and sealed it with flex tape. Cleaned the air filter, checked fluids, just sort of inspected everything and got a list together of what we need to do to it. We're hoping to do a full restore over the summer. So far it has been super fun.

IMG_3262.jpgIMG_3246.jpg

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my first deuce over the weekend with 3 other friends. 150 miles home, only problem was the roof started to rip. Stopped and sealed it with flex tape. Cleaned the air filter, checked fluids, just sort of inspected everything and got a list together of what we need to do to it. We're hoping to do a full restore over the summer. So far it has been super fun.

View attachment 743532View attachment 743533
I have driven alot of things in the Army, my M35 is hands down the most enjoyable thing I have ever driven.

rustystud

I got my Deuce back on the road for the first time in about a year. I had a main brake line burst last fall and decided to completely overhaul the brake system. All new lines (hard and soft), new wheel cylinders, rebuilt airpacks (it's a split system), replaced the MC, and went through all the wheel bearings. I had it mostly complete late last fall and then the rainy season started here in Seattle. I don't have a shop to work on it out of the weather so that slowed things down a bit. To really make things slow, my wife gifted me with our first child in April. I used to think I didn't have enough time to work on all my projects, now I really don't!

View attachment 743496View attachment 743497View attachment 743498
removed

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the Deuce cleaned up for wedding Duty on the 6th. A friend of mine is getting married & she asked me to transport her & her bridesmaid contingent to the ceremony. The Deuce hasn't been out since May (busy schedule this year) so it had a good bit of dust on it. A few hours work & it is cleaner than a limo (and a whole lot cooler as well). I'll post again after the wedding.
Before
IMAG0541.jpgIMAG0543.jpgIMAG0545.jpg

After
IMAG0560.jpgIMAG0559.jpgIMAG0562.jpgIMAG0563.jpgIMAG0564.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a clean truck. Make sure you have a cooler full of "road sodas" for the girls. That will make their day.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fainally succeeded in installing the air compressor belt for my M35A@I used the recommended belt length which I bought from White Owl, but I am convinced it could be just a little longer. I had to install it over the air comprerssor pulley first, where I opened the air compressor pully all the way, and then was able to install the bely over the crankshaft pully drive. the problem is in tightening the air compressor pully the belt get stuck in place instead of widening to accomodate the comprssor pully change of diameter. I used transmission oil to libe the pully surface, but this will work against me in maintaining belt tension. we shall see.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks