• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

I put new windshield gaskets on both frames, sandblasted both wiper arms, removed my instrument panel and new fuel sending unit many X's until I figured my fuel gauge just needed a new ground. Fixed it!
Oh, added 6 strands of battery operated LED Christmas lights and wreath.

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

Didn't do too much to the truck today. Took it for a drive because it was actually quite nice out.. Always a good time :driver:

After that, I pulled apart my air cleaner housing to pop out the filter. Didn't look too bad. Says 2010 on the bottom of the filter, which matches the last tag riveted to the door frame. So my guess is that this truck has mostly been sitting for the last 5 years. After the old filter was removed, I installed the filter upgrade cage from TMG.. Fit perfectly. My new Wix 46664 filter should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I will be able to test it out within the next couple of days :)

On a more humorous note.. After looking at the old filter, I decided that I could use it for another purpose. It's so big that I put a white garbage bag in it and will use it as a garbage can in the cab of my work van... lol :naner:

Ford Mechanic

Washing mine for the Christmas parade. Found the secret to washing it quickly, so pressure washer! Last year it took 6+ hrs, so far 1.5 hrs into it and the trucks done!

my76fj40

Got the oil changed, that is a bit of a pain in the arse.... May look into the spin on, can't make much more of a mess. Took a drive to top off the fuel and add some conditioner in case the need arises to take it out this winter. Always brings a smile to the soul when I get to go for a drive. Thinking some LED strips for interior lighting is on the list.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the oil changed, that is a bit of a pain in the arse.... May look into the spin on, can't make much more of a mess. Took a drive to top off the fuel and add some conditioner in case the need arises to take it out this winter. Always brings a smile to the soul when I get to go for a drive. Thinking some LED strips for interior lighting is on the list.
NHC 250 powered? Spin on filter kit listed in the classified, kits in stock. Make future filter changes quick and clean.
JC

k10greene

I bought 10 tires to put on my old girl and ended up selling it at the tire shop:-(20151020_154807.jpg the saddest picture I have ever taken. Now looking for an m813a1;-) never said I was done with green iron haha

JohnnyBM931A2

Put in my new upgraded air filter today.. Fit great. Also double checked the mesh screen on my intake cap "mushroom." Screen is clear, and not clogged with paint. Mesh openings could be a little bigger, but an upgraded screen probably wouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:

CGarbee

Let's see...
I picked up a set (seven) of 1400r20 tires (six Goodyear, one Michelin) on rims from a buddy who decided that his cargo truck would look better on 1600r20's... :) Not sure if I am going to use them or resell them since all of my five tons are running good looking 1100r20 Michelin or Goodyear tires on the stock two piece rims and I like how everything handles going down the road and the ease at which I can fix a flat when needed...
Replaced the air lines to the wipers on my M931 since the old ones leaked... Not as easy as it should be given the amount of accessories that had been added to the truck (swingfire, fuel fired personnel heater, convoy lights...all with switches in the way).
Replaced the batteries in the XM813 and the M817.
Called the radiator shop about the repair that they are doing to the M816's radiator...reminded them that although I did tell them that I wasn't in a hurry, that I did want it back this year...

Took photos of a M818 down the road from the office that is for sale, then learned what the owner is asking for it, and decided that he is delusional, but that he likely will sell it at his price...but not to me. ;)

gottaluvit

Finally installed my rear center three-light cluster (whatever it's proper name is). Picked it up at the GA rally. It was green, but now it matches my truck. It also has 12v lights that were wired in parallel, keeping it at 12v. I rewired it in series so now the combo can handle 36v but I will be running 28v into it with engine running. They are not noticably dimmer in daylight but after dark I will see. Even if so, they'll still look nice. Bulbs should last forever tooView attachment 595929.
Well, finally remembered to take note, and a pic, of these lights at dark to see if they might be dimmer. They look like the exact same brightness. Amazing my feeble mind thought to wire them this way. Sometimes I amaze myself.
20151208_174246.jpg

Also pressure washed her completely today.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Christmas parade. The theme was Disney so it ended up being a Mikey Mouse Rudolf Swamp Donkey...if that makes sense, lol.

My ingenious Ol' Lady decided that it wasn't necessary to see while driving in a parade with the antler placement.

2015120895130751.jpg

20151208_130801.jpg

I had to make some modifications at the parade. I thought they looked better there anyway.

facebook_1449628419886.jpg

facebook_1449628558684.jpg

All lights were run off the slave port with the inverter below. They totalled about 400w and it ran them like a champ for a little over 5 hours.

20151208_215126.jpg

This was my first parade and I was volunteered on short notice, hence all the white wires everywhere. Next year will involve GREEN extension cords and lights with GREEN wiring. They'll also be all LED so I can have a bunch more. I didn't want to kill the inverter during the parade so there weren't as many lights as I'd of liked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks