• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tobyS

Sorry I didn't follow his entire post. Only read the part where it seemed somebody was looking for switched 12v.
That was my mistake. I thought the a back-up camera and monitor would be 12v. Rooster said 24v.

JarheadMtn

After having three of the super singles blow out on me I let the truck sit for the winter. Found a set of 11.00 X 20 G177 with lug nuts while on my honeymoon. Unfortunately I had parked the truck too far back in the woods and didn't have power out there to air up the super singles or to run an impact wrench. So I had to jack it up on a side hill and change all the tires by hand. It was fun keeping the tires from rolling down the hill, but I got it finished so I can start driving it again.

Attachments

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I thought changing tires in the Florida heat was problematic. I was going to ask how you tore up the singles... then I saw the terrain. :smile: What size were the singles?
After having three of the super singles blow out on me I let the truck sit for the winter. Found a set of 11.00 X 20 G177 with lug nuts while on my honeymoon. Unfortunately I had parked the truck too far back in the woods and didn't have power out there to air up the super singles or to run an impact wrench. So I had to jack it up on a side hill and change all the tires by hand. It was fun keeping the tires from rolling down the hill, but I got it finished so I can start driving it again.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Saturday, I finally got around to using the Rustoleum Rust Reformer. First of all, when ordering it in gallon size on Amazon, "Color-Black" is not Black. I returned the 2 gallon package twice, before giving up. It comes Milk-Bone White. I looked everywhere online to try and understand why it would still be sold as "Black". Well... Here's the answer: It goes on like white paint (HF spray gun, same as I use for the Behr), then dries like the hardest stuff I've ever seen - clear. One day later - everything that had the slightest rust, is now black as night...
'
IMG_4379.jpgIMG_4381.jpgIMG_4383.jpg

Then, tonight I rolled on the HF Bed Liner paint. Stuff is like tar. Took a little less than a gallon, but went on easy and looks great IMO. I'm going to do a second coat tomorrow, along with the insides of the gates.

IMG_4386.jpgIMG_4387.jpgIMG_4388.jpgIMG_4389.jpg

JarheadMtn

And I thought changing tires in the Florida heat was problematic. I was going to ask how you tore up the singles... then I saw the terrain. :smile: What size were the singles?
14.00 X 20's. I got a deal on three spares tires off the rims and kept mounting them myself which was getting tiring. They call these the Rocky Mountains for a reason.
I caught a large rock between the tracks of my Cat D-7 dozer and it was large enough to peel the tracks off the sprockets.
Lots of sharp, jagged rocks. A neighbor just had a pickup deliver a trailer load up to his place on a one ton 4 X 4 with tire chains, being pulled by a Jeep Rubicon, being pulled by a 3/4 ton 4 X 4. The one ton shredded one tire and all the tires on all three rigs are cut up and severely damaged. I try to baby my tires, at least with duals I have a better chance of being able to drive to a spot safer to change them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Had to go rescue this cc bobber. 54in boggers 4 wheel steer. Lots of money into it. Tranny issues. Pulled like it wasnt back there. Unhooked him and broke my shifter cable so i had to go get my other 923 to towbar mine at midnight uploadfromtaptalk1468300387074.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I only have a couple of thousand miles on mine, so how do you break a shifter cable?
I down shift alot and what not when towing heavy. It slowly had gotten more loose than befor and a little sloppy on gear selection. Maybe one of the hard plastic pieces that it mounts up with or broke. I could move the shifter up and down but it wouldnt do anything. Free pull.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Amer-team

Good point and something to watch out for. I let a 923A2 push my 923 down a pretty steep hill on a wet day a couple of months ago. Downshift and brakes weren't helping a lot. Fortunately I got a pretty good lesson in with no harm to anyone else or myself. But the car that had to go into the ditch as I slid past him had a pretty surprised look on his face. This was on a 12 foot wide driveway with about a 12 percent grade. And the guy could see me for quite a distance but couldn't yield to downhill traffic till right at the last. Both he and I were fortunate that we didn't end up in the ditch with two 923's on top of him.

mdemars03

Good point and something to watch out for. I let a 923A2 push my 923 down a pretty steep hill on a wet day a couple of months ago. Downshift and brakes weren't helping a lot. Fortunately I got a pretty good lesson in with no harm to anyone else or myself. But the car that had to go into the ditch as I slid past him had a pretty surprised look on his face. This was on a 12 foot wide driveway with about a 12 percent grade. And the guy could see me for quite a distance but couldn't yield to downhill traffic till right at the last. Both he and I were fortunate that we didn't end up in the ditch with two 923's on top of him.
This is just for my knowledge only and not in any way, shape, or form saying you did anything wrong as I have zero expirence towing a MV. I am just wondering so if I ever have to tow another MV with my 923A2 I have some more knowledge.

Did you use air from one truck to another for brakes or were the brakes on the vehicle being towed caged?

The reason I ask is you said brakes didn't really help much.

Amer-team

Nope I was ignorant and lucky. Really steep hill, wet, on asphalt. brakes were not caged and air was up on both vehicles. I stopped at the top, eased over, tapped the brakes, did not put my foot in them, and started sliding. Was not in low range as I was on asphalt and it was wet as it is often here in the NW. But was in first gear. Was thinking a jake brake may have been helpful. negotiated the hairpin turn at the bottom and the second leg down, was flatter so was able to get a little braking going. Had the 1SG following me down the hill in his 923A1 watching the situation unfolding. Once we got to a place that I could stop for a minute and make sure the air was built back up, everything was fine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air brakes have a delay. Yes you run air from one truck to the other. Cross the lines Pass rear to drivers front and Drivers rear to Pass front. Even having brakes on the towing truck isn't that great. It just depends on the truck you are towing. If you are towing a M931/932 truck it is going to bounce your rear end to death cause that truck has no weight on it. My truck tows everything well even a heavier 927 or even a 934. Bigger heavier trucks will try to push the rear end out from under you. I towed a 916 awhile back and it tried it majorly. I dropped in some steel plates to the bed to make it heavier.

Basic thing I say is make wide turns, it will trail just fine. Stay off your brakes as much as possible, go at a comfortable speed and be aware, better to have the air if you need it than be on and off your brakes and need the air and its low. If you are towing a super single truck it will handle better on the big highways than an A0 truck. I do get some fighting with a A0 truck in the tracks on the interstate as they squirrel around that little hump. Plan your route accordingly as to fuel stops and rest stops so you know where you can get in and out of.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It also helps that you know your truck and comfortable with it. I will tow anything with my regularly driven 5 ton. It has the same characteristics towing on every truck behind it and I know what they feel like. I towed with my other one tonight and this is the 2nd time I have towed my regular 923 and it tries to push the rear end out from under it and it just handles all weird. Likes to pull towards the center line. stops different and it likes to buck. My regular 5 ton does none of that.

Amer-team

Good points Simp. My truck is an A0 too. I have one section of I-5, about 3 or 4 miles, that I either have to do 40 or get in the high speed lane. First time I went over that section, thought something was wrong with the truck, but since, I have noticed that real over the road rigs get in the left lane in that section too.
This A2 had literally been pulled out of the blackberries a couple of days earlier and it had been sitting for a little over two years. The man bought it, drove it home from CA and passed away shortly there after and it had been sitting since. We got it started, drove it up and down the hill once, air was up, brakes seemed to be working, fluids were up. Then when we went to get it, it wouldn't start. It ended up a simple fix, the fuel shutoff needed some polishing and lubing. Since then, it fires right up. But it seems to be a bit more bouncy than the A0.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

After doing some reading I decided to remove the axle vents and link them all together and run the hose up to the firewall. I capped off the hose with a outboard fuel filter to prevent anything from clogging up the hose. The filter flows all the air needed to vent. I also prepped and painted a spare exhaust pipe and replaced the one on the truck. Used rustoleum high temp paint. Will see how it holds up. These are preps for the convoy to the Weare, NH show.:driver:

Ford Mechanic

View attachment 633608View attachment 633609View attachment 633610View attachment 633611

After doing some reading I decided to remove the axle vents and link them all together and run the hose up to the firewall. I capped off the hose with a outboard fuel filter to prevent anything from clogging up the hose. The filter flows all the air needed to vent. I also prepped and painted a spare exhaust pipe and replaced the one on the truck. Used rustoleum high temp paint. Will see how it holds up. These are preps for the convoy to the Weare, NH show.:driver:
I really like the flap cap on the exhaust. I haven't seen it done that way, how does it look running?

I had one on my M35 with a straight stack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Thanks Ford Mechanic. The flap is pretty much wide open when running and even at idle it is at least half way open and no clanging. Hope it keeps water out when parked and make the muffler last longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks