• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys

would this work ?

[h=3]Description[/h][FONT=&quot]44860 - Flasher, 24 Volt 60-120 flashes per minuteAvailable in standard (12 volt) and 24 volt modelsLess than 4 mill volts per amp voltage dropExceeds SAE 100 hour testFits in a round flasher socket
[/FONT]

Attachments

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been going through this thread and following some of the links to other threads, for example, one of my tanks the guage doesnt register. I found a thread and realised the tankscreen is removable. It was too tight for a strap wrench, I used a large C clamp to loosten it and went from there. View attachment 660484 the float wasn't :? I tarped it as rain and snow are forcast. View attachment 660485 View attachment 660486
Thinking about a winter /storage cover with all the rain we get in NY

Anyone ever use like a jeep or UTV car cover to just cover the top portion of the cab?

1Sinner

Did a full pmcs on my 923a2 last night. 3 hours later, all fluids checked, all grease zeros lubed, all lights checked and I'll be ****ed if I don't need two bulbs and front axle seals :shrugs:. Oh well. All the fluids looked good at least.

Another Ahab

Did a full pmcs on my 923a2 last night. 3 hours later, all fluids checked, all grease zeros lubed, all lights checked and I'll be ****ed if I don't need two bulbs and front axle seals . Oh well. All the fluids looked good at least.
Welcome to the 5 ton money suck...
Comes with the territory. It's all in the nature of "things", and the ownership of things.

You go THIS route if you want freedom from things:

A1.jpg

It'll help if you can carry a tune....

1Sinner

I can't sing to save my life, so I'll just add it to my extensive list of money pits. Unfortunately for my wallet, I build offroad stuff too, along with dirt toys and classics. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife that supports my hobbies..... at least most of the time. Lol.

Would prefer to find the proper stock replacement knob, but I was thinking of getting an aluminum brake knob and epoxying the face of the old knob to it after a little fab work to keep it looking authentic.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I can't sing to save my life, so I'll just add it to my extensive list of money pits. Unfortunately for my wallet, I build offroad stuff too, along with dirt toys and classics. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife that supports my hobbies..... at least most of the time. Lol.

Would prefer to find the proper stock replacement knob, but I was thinking of getting an aluminum brake knob and epoxying the face of the old knob to it after a little fab work to keep it looking authentic.
Google is your friend

https://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/72/5238/Spring-Brake-Release-Control-Valve-Knob

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished my battery hold down brackets. I used 1/8" thick flat bar and angle iron for the frame. I used 3/4" x 3/4" angle iron for the ears. The hooks come up thru the ears to hold the battery down. I also went ahead and cut some notches in the frame to clear the battery post to ensure no contact.

Battery hold down 1.jpgBattery hold down 2.jpgBattery hold down 3.jpgBattery hold down 4.jpgBattery hold down 5.jpg

I ended up using some flex seal to give it a rubber coating.

Battery hold down 6.jpg

I also finished sand blasting and painting the plate the battery boxes mount on. That plate had some serious corrosion. I'm also finished with my reinforcement plates for the plastic battery boxes. They will be installed with 3/16" semi tubular rivets for more clearance than the bolts allow. One thing about the battery boxes I bought, they are N.O.S. kit that can be used for a M809, or M35. The thin plate of steel is for the M35 application if I'm not mistaken, but is not used on the M809 5 ton. I've decided to repurpose it as a support for the inside walls of the battery boxes. The 1/8" plate is used for the outside walls on the boxes since it would bear more weight when it is being used as a step. I don't like how the walls on the plastic boxes are warped, seems to be common for the plastic boxes. I will still have file down the little humps in the middle of the boxes so the group 8D's will sit flat on bottom. I'm going to hold off on mounting the battery plate on the truck so I can get easier access to the pto. I gotta replace the boots, shaft seal, and remove the rear accessory drive with a plate. I need to swing thru Memphis Equipment to pick up the shaft seal this Monday.

Battery Box Reinforcement Mod 1.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 2.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 3.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 4.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 5.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 7.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 8.jpgBattery Box Reinforcement Mod 9.jpg

Last edited:

8madjack

Used mine, particularly my fire fighting skid setup! I was winching trees down the hill and had a cable break in spark a fire. I wasn't able to stop the fire but I did stop it from spreading towards any buildings, no structures no neighbors were harmed just vegetation.20191107_122106.jpg 20191107_145404.jpg

The second photo is the tree that I originally was winching obviously it's not as bushy as when started. I tried to upload a cool panoramic pic but it was way too big

Another Ahab

Used mine, particularly my fire fighting skid setup! I was winching trees down the hill and had a cable break in spark a fire. I wasn't able to stop the fire but I did stop it from spreading towards any buildings, no structures no neighbors were harmed just vegetation.
Glad nobody got hurt.

Reading the other day how one of the more recent CA Fires was spark-started by somebody driving a metal stake into the ground.

8madjack

Glad nobody got hurt.

Reading the other day how one of the more recent CA Fires was spark-started by somebody driving a metal stake into the ground.
That's not surprising, it's really dry out. I picked up a backpack sprayer to add to the arsenal. I could have stopped it if I had one on me because the immediate and more effective response I could have launched.

Ajax MD

It's stunning that conditions are so dry that striking a steel tent stake or a snapping winch cable can start a large fire. :(

Now that I've serviced the front axle, I'm feeling really good about my truck. Took it for a nice drive on Vet's Day, complete with flags mounted on the mirrors and fenders. :)

Temperatures are jumping off a cliff with wind chills in the teens this week. If the next "warm" phase is long enough and dry enough, I'll look into replacing the belts, hoses and coolant.
My heater core seems to be clogged up with iron sediment or something. The valves are open and the inlet hose is nice and hot but the return hose is ice cold, indicating that there's no flow through the core.

It'll be nice to do some work that doesn't involve laying on the hard ground.

Ajax MD

Made another run to the landfill with a load of brush and yard waste.

I only comment on it because it's one of the few times that I've actually been on an open road where I could get the truck up to maximum speed and RPM's for a reasonable period of time and get to climb some minor grades. I'm happy to report no abnormal vibrations, shimmies or hops. All gauges stayed within their normal operating ranges, no abnormal engine or drive train noises. Steering tracks straight, brakes feel firm and do not pull to either side. I'll pull the oil dipstick today and just verify the level and no fuel or coolant contamination.

Just gotta keep chugging through routine maintenance- belts, hoses, coolant, dog bone bushings, rear and intermediate axle maintenance.

I ordered the "remote brake resevoir" kit from BM. The single circuit brakes give me the willies, so I've decided to add this kit so I can easily monitor the brake fluid level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks