• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Ajax MD

Ajax, that's looking pretty good
Yeah, but it's time to stop playing with BII and "accoutrements" and start doing real work. I've been threatening to do a coolant flush and all the belts and hoses for 6 months.

• Then the transfer case crapped out so I replaced it.
  • Then I re-prioritized inspecting/servicing the steering axle because I was worried that I might kill someone.
  • Then my worn, checked tires made me nervous, so I bought a decent set and swapped in the best ones.
  • I snuck in some quick and easy "fun parts" like the pioneer tool kit and the cargo cover.

I've kind of been dreading the belt job because of the crazy water pump on the NHC 250. I'm paranoid that if I disturb it to remove the belt, that I'll never get it to seal again. 😟 I do have a new copper crush gasket for it.

These photos show an old tire and a better tire. This old tire wasn't even the worst one that I replaced.

Attachments

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been threatening to do a coolant flush and all the belts and hoses for 6 months.

I've kind of been dreading the belt job because of the crazy water pump on the NHC 250.
My thoughts echo your own. I've also been procrastinating a coolant system flush and new straight hoses. When I did belts i skipped the water pump belt since it was "ok" and could be removed independently of the others. The first of the double belts took me 1.5 hours of fighting just to install (not including removing the old one or loosening the fan hub).

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Refreshed the hood insulation - removed the remnants of the decaying old insulation and applied new Dynamat Hoodliner. Used 3M 90 spray adhesive to ensure solid attachment.
That looks great !

I guess it is like a 36" wide roll ? DId you get it from Summit Racing ?

I need to install on my truck, there is nothing there now.

Larry Weibert

I got my Dump out of storage. It hasn't run since 2005 when I drove it home from Columbus Ohio and then parked it. I greased it flushed the brake system, new batteries Put on some 53's I picked up in Cape Cod last month. Yesterday I put the wood sides on. The plan is to move a 100 loads of Millings and stone for my new storage building so I can get the rest of my children out of the weather. It drives great. Its weird its the only truck that seems like it was never painted from the factory it looks like a primer coat maybe someone has some feedback on that.

Attachments

Ajax MD

I got my Dump out of storage. It hasn't run since 2005 when I drove it home from Columbus Ohio and then parked it. I greased it flushed the brake system, new batteries Put on some 53's I picked up in Cape Cod last month. Yesterday I put the wood sides on. The plan is to move a 100 loads of Millings and stone for my new storage building so I can get the rest of my children out of the weather. It drives great. Its weird its the only truck that seems like it was never painted from the factory it looks like a primer coat maybe someone has some feedback on that.
Wow, that's 15 years of slumber.

vvwilkins

Looks awesome, Id too like to know where you got the materials used from & the size of it? Thanks
@dougnash & @SCM35A2 : Thank You for the positive feedback!
The material is Dynamat brand Hood Liner 11905 from Summit Racing : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-11905
Comes in 32" x 54" rolls. I used 3 rolls with very little left over. I can provide a sketch of how I pieced it all together and how I mapped the pieces to the rolls if you would like.
As I noted, the sticky back of the material was insufficient to properly apply the material to the cleaned up but rough hood finish. So, I applied 2 coats of 3M 90 adhesive to the hood and the Hood Liner material - let cure for 5min then apply. Needed 3 cans of 3M 90 to complete the job.

fpchief

A cumulative of things I have done in the last couple of weeks on my new to me M923a2....oil change, transmission fluid and filter change (Dex), new belt, new Simps 53's, got CTIS working, and just now
Tried to Install some headlights from TMG....big mistake. Complete junk connectors and wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

Valor

@dougnash & @SCM35A2 : Thank You for the positive feedback!
The material is Dynamat brand Hood Liner 11905 from Summit Racing : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-11905
Comes in 32" x 54" rolls. I used 3 rolls with very little left over. I can provide a sketch of how I pieced it all together and how I mapped the pieces to the rolls if you would like.
As I noted, the sticky back of the material was insufficient to properly apply the material to the cleaned up but rough hood finish. So, I applied 2 coats of 3M 90 adhesive to the hood and the Hood Liner material - let cure for 5min then apply. Needed 3 cans of 3M 90 to complete the job.
I need to do that to my 923A2. Thank you for the info. Your under hood looks great. Could you send me the mapping of the pieces to the rolls? Thank you and Happy New Year!

fpchief

Nice looking truck!
Yea that
I need to do that to my 923A2. Thank you for the info. Your under hood looks great. Could you send me the mapping of the pieces to the rolls? Thank you and Happy New Year!
It is on my list too. I am going to have to remove the hood and do a full re-hab on it though. Got some rust that is ready to start peeking through. The insulation will be a must though. Might pull the hood this weekend....

Spyderman

I needed to do the insulation under my hood too. But I picked up a brand new one for $150. That was easier. Now I just need to find time to put it on

Sent from my webslinger using Tapatalk

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A cumulative of things I have done in the last couple of weeks on my new to me M923a2....oil change, transmission fluid and filter change (Dex), new belt, new Simps 53's, got CTIS working, and just now
Tried to Install some headlights from TMG....big mistake. Complete junk connectors and wires.
Congrats on the new truck, looks great. I am a new owner as well.

I want to change the transmission fluid and was thinking about converting from 10wt to DEX, did you notice any smoother shifting ?

Also on those headlights, if you have to keep those blade connectors, go into a boat supply store and pick up the coated connectors with heat shrink already attached to them, they seal very nicely. I can post a pic if you need, I use them all the time on my boat.

fpchief

Congrats on the new truck, looks great. I am a new owner as well.

I want to change the transmission fluid and was thinking about converting from 10wt to DEX, did you notice any smoother shifting ?

Also on those headlights, if you have to keep those blade connectors, go into a boat supply store and pick up the coated connectors with heat shrink already attached to them, they seal very nicely. I can post a pic if you need, I use them all the time on my boat.
Thanks! It is an air force truck and already had ATF in it so I am no judge as to any change. I will say that it does not have hard shifts, just firm... both up and down.

And on the connectors, I ended up using some decent but not waterproof connectors and used some west marine liquid electrical tape to help it out. I need to get some of the connectors you are talking about.

77 AMG

I have been trying to get the spin on oil filter conversion done for a while. I always seen to get the wrong one. I like your drain plug.

Sent from my webslinger using Tapatalk
Thanks! I picked up BOTH the quick valve AND the hose nipple for under $45 at my local Fleet Pride heavy truck place. You can use a small "zip tie" wrapped around the body/groove of the valve to help keep it from moving, as an extra securement. I HATE oil baths...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks