• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajsmith184

First coat of Sherwin Williams 383 CARC......One more coat to go, tough to cover black camo spots, even when sanded. After that, have Als beige spray in liner, then finish up with my new Softtopper...Should be good to go!

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job 319! Did you make that?
Thanks, I did not. Had a local tent/awning place make it over a year ago. The craftsmanship is very nice but they lack customer service and personality, so no recommendations. Can't remember the weight of the canvas. Last winter was pretty mild here so I never played with it until recently.

natemccabe

New group 31 batteries installed, ten year old 6tls had major plate damage. Although the battery shop I took them to were able to get the specific gravity back up on em so those will be picked up later in the week. I also fixed the glow plug, no seat belt and low coolent light, and inop fuel guage: turns out after researching on here that those three items are all run throught the same fuse. Now I just have to figure out why the block heater keeps coming unplugged and I'll be good for the winter. I like your cold front too 319. I had one made localy as well, I know Jatonka on here makes a nice repo of the mil issue one.

85CUCVtom

So, I was driving my M1008A1 to my sons robotics tournament about two weeks ago when, as I was climbing a good hill on the interstate she started to lose power, sputter a little, and dump some bluish smoke. I knew I needed a new IP as there had been a pronounced miss at idle that was getting progressively worse. Compression tests on the engine showed all 8 cylinders were pumping well.

In anticipation of doing the replacement before the weather got bad up here, and based on reviews on this forum I decided to order from Badger Diesel in mid November. Fred is a great guy to talk to, and really knows his stuff. The shipping on the rebuilt pump and injectors was delayed a bit as Fred is really backed up and he ended up getting a pretty nasty bug that knocked him back a few days (he sounded awful when he got back to the shop). Well, when the pieces arrived they were really well done. A nicely refinished case on the IP that I am not certain isn't a new piece. It even has a new Stanadyne data plate on it. Definitely not a "rattle can" rebuild.

I took the time to clean up the valve covers and intake manifold. I used Rustoleum pro paint for the manifold. Came out really nice and should stay a lot cleaner over the long run. I used the Fel-Pro MS-91586 Intake Manifold gasket set for the HD 6.2 engine. Got everything buttoned back up. Used Badgers made in Germany return line tubing to replace the originals. Very easy to work with, and no silly little clamps to deal with. Put a new FRAM fuel filter on, replaced the flexible fuel lines to the filter and IP with new clamps. Bled the system.

FYI, I had performed the GP resistor bypass, replaced the GP relay with the overpriced NAPA part (I couldn't wait for the shipping from CUCV Electric when the old one died) and had installed the AC 60G's all the way around in September.

Well, I haven't had a chance to road test her yet due to Christmas. But, it is almost like I have only to look at the key after the wait light goes out to get her to start. That is dead cold in 28 degree weather. She idles like new. I'll provide a road test report when I have a chance later this week.

A very Merry Christmas to all!
I'm going to be using this guy shop when I do my pump. Glad to hear everything went well.

rsh4364

Another stupid move on my part,I got home at 1pm and at 6pm my neighbor knocked on my door and said Do you know your lights are on, on your truck,nope didnt know,went down thinking get out spare batts. and jumpers,and worried I just damaged my optima redtops,....turned key,glowed for ten seconds and she fired right up..15 degrees here right now, im happy again..tomorrow exhaust system, order starter bracket and bolts, then pwr steering bracket, and i should be safe..

Vhyle

Diagnosed the heater circuit faults more, and determined the voltage drop is at the fuse block, from previous melting damage.

Fixed the left rear taillight... I wasn't getting ANYTHING from that corner. No running light, brake light, reverse. So I pulled it off and cleaned up the ground. It got caked with rust and Rhino lining. Still didn't work. So I took the next step in the circuit and went to the connector that's underneath.

It was disconnected. :doh:

dc9137

Well...it's been an interesting few weeks. I got my M1028 delivered few weeks ago, bought 2 new batteries, changed the motor oil, trans fluid and filter, flushed coolant, changed differential fluid in front and rear, added a K&N filter, did the doghead mod. The SF-97 arrived yesterday.

This is where the interesting part comes in. I was at a dealership yesterday talking to them about something else and I drove the M1028 there. While I was there a guy gave me $5k for it. So I no longer have a CUCV...for now. I guess it's time to start watching the auctions again.

truck1

Installed a stanadyne FM 100 spin on fuel filter with 12 V heater unit and petcock ball valve for bleeding system. Easy upgrade and replaced fuel line hose to IP and from lift pump.Should have done this a long time ago.Also fixed worn through vacuum line from IP to tranny.Truck started shifting at higher and higher RPM and after tracing vacuum line found wear through in rigid line at the firewall. Spliced in rubber line- no more rub and shifts smoother and more quiet than ever before. If your 1028 or 1008 suffers from these symptoms check the 3/8ths vacuum line where it runs near the firewall.These rigs are a constant labor of love! Happy new year!

wayne pick

Well...it's been an interesting few weeks. I got my M1028 delivered few weeks ago, bought 2 new batteries, changed the motor oil, trans fluid and filter, flushed coolant, changed differential fluid in front and rear, added a K&N filter, did the doghead mod. The SF-97 arrived yesterday.

This is where the interesting part comes in. I was at a dealership yesterday talking to them about something else and I drove the M1028 there. While I was there a guy gave me $5k for it. So I no longer have a CUCV...for now. I guess it's time to start watching the auctions again.
So you made what 2K after the parts and your labor? No too many 1028s kicking around. :cookoo:

85CUCVtom

Replaced the push button for my glow plug system. I'm still working on replacing rubber fuel lines and tracking down why I'm having hard starting issues in the morning.

What model radio did you install? And may I ask what all those switches are for?
I will PM you model# as i dont know it off the top... Its a CDE-122

Switches are from L-R Remote Switch for Front Winch; Front Diff Elect. Locker; Air Compressor; Front Rock lights ( lights under Radiator facing to rear ); Rear rock lights ( lights on Fuel tank facing forward ); Fan on Power Steering cooler; remote for Linear Amp for CB- ( not yet installed )

Last edited:

hunderliggur

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Replaced the power steering pump and bracket (old pump was fine, bracket wasn't), changed the oil, got the wipers working again by jumping the power and ground at the motor connector (worked) reconnected everything and it works. Probably a voltage drop in the switch circuit I need to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks