• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudman

Not a Frick'n thing, as it is to cold for this country boy to be out wrenching..It will just have to wait untill spring...In the mean time I drive it likes it'smine.!!!
Ken

Shackelford R

I lubed the wiper linkage, cleaned grounds on rad support, installed new headlight switch, cleaned more connectors under dash,, cleaned batt posts. My dad made a folding license plate bracket still needs some different bolts but is cool

Still need to get batt cables.

Tried my wipers they worked briefly then nothing, but my headlights are brighter now. and the light in the 24volt gauge and a light under the dash work.

So some progress.

CycleJay

Sorry to hear that wayne,

The racetrac next door to me charges about $3.87 a gallon for on the road diesel.

Hope it gets lower for you too soon.

Good day...

forest522

Drive and enjoy indeed. Just before Christmas it was 3.20 a gallon. Just after, swoop right back up again. Go figure.

I really need to get the license plate lights up and running. Tags are getting close to expiring too. Don't want to push my luck too far ya know!

wayne pick

Thanks for the kind words Jay, I live in the highest taxed county in the country, where everything is a shakedown to some degree

You can't even put up a metal shed in your back yard without having to file and pay a fee for some kind of permit. The $4.19 a gallon I pay is relitively cheap for this area, and I don't see it going any lower any time soon. I would run house oil in my truck, but to do that I would have to have an outside fuel tank with a containment vessel around it requiring a building permit and an inspection. The cost would out weigh the cheaper fuel. I was going to put a contractors fuel tank on the flatbed of my 1031, but the oil companys here can only deliver house oil to residences, nothing mobile. They got ya coming and going, LOL.

Vhyle

Well, since I did the GP resistor bypass yesterday, I couldn't even get it started this morning (19 degrees). Kept turning over and over, not firing. It does take longer for the GPs to heat up, and I did hear that would happen, but I guess they're just not getting hot enough now? I cycled them several times. This is probably why I need a GP switch, huh?

Vhyle

I put a manual switch on also just to be there in case. Are all your glowplugs good? The bypass should not affect starting at all if all is in good shape.
No, I know I have at least one bad GP on the pass side. It blows smoke on that side and skips a bit for a few seconds when it does start up cold.

I'm thinking I may have to convert back to stock so I can still drive it, and do the mod again when I can get a switch. Or possibly wait until I get a new set of GPs (which I had planned on anyway).

EDIT: I don't even know how old the GPs are. They look old as dirt, and so does the GP relay. The GPs still have the old connectors, so I know for sure they aren't AC60s.

Last edited:

chief1983

If your resistor isn't bad, is there a good reason to change from what is working to something else? Just rhetorical really, but I personally wouldn't change my setup from stock unless I simply couldn't find a replacement for a bad part.

Vhyle

If your resistor isn't bad, is there a good reason to change from what is working to something else? Just rhetorical really, but I personally wouldn't change my setup from stock unless I simply couldn't find a replacement for a bad part.
My resistor isn't bad. I did the bypass to prevent future glow plug failures.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reply by Vhyle is the exact reason many people prefer to do the resistor bypass. The stock system works perfectly fine as long as you have 8 good, properly working glow plugs. The problem comes when any one of them stops working.

The resistor drops the 24 volts of both batteries to 12 volts as required by the 12 volt glow plugs. Ohms law is used to determine the exact value of the resistor at the factory. But, it is Ohms law that is what causes the problems when one plug fails. At the start, all 8 glow plugs get 12 volts each as they are all hooked in parallel, and have a specific resistance (thus giving you a total resistance for the system). When one plug goes bad or just stops working because of a corroded connector or whatever the reason, now the total resistance of the circuit changes, and the voltage to the remaining plugs goes up above 12 volts. Which causes them to burn out faster than they normally would, causing a cascade affect on the remaining 7 plugs. As each one in progression burns out, the resistance changes more and the voltage supplied to the remaining good ones goes up even more.

Eliminating the resistor eliminates the potential problem, and if you get a bad plug, the rest are not affected at all.

Shackelford R

I cleaned the ground under the front batt tray on fender, lubed the hood hinges and latch, picked up my wiper switch from Napa will try to clean gauge cluster connections and change fluids tomorrow.

mtn man

And got to meet 'hokie8358' today while I was picking up this crack free dash I snagged from ebay Saturday... always nice to find a member that isn't too far away. Nice ride hokie8358... remind me to never ever drag race you... that was one nice 1008 you were driving. Can't wait to put in my 1008 or maybe 1009...

dash.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks