• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief1983

Installed a used grey factory center console in the stock location, now I have cup holders. :)

Replaced the lock knob my friend broke for me the other day, and found out the reason it probably broke was because it was unscrewed halfway. I thought the passenger side one was supposed to be taller for some reason.

grayw0lf

My latest work:
1. Replaced the forward most u-joint on the forward driveshaft.
2. Installed a good sized ammo can on the R rear wheel well. Perfect toolbox!
3. Installed a little bracket to hold my socket set firmly in place behind the left rear wheel well.
4. Braced up the rotting fender/battery tray from below.
5. Not done yet, but I have a new fire extinguisher to install just left of the 4wd shifter.

jdeoliveira74

My latest work:
3. Installed a little bracket to hold my socket set firmly in place behind the left rear wheel well.
5. Not done yet, but I have a new fire extinguisher to install just left of the

Got pics?

grayw0lf

My latest work:
5. Not done yet, but I have a new fire extinguisher to install just left of the

Got pics?
I'm out of town for a few days, but I'll take a few when I get home. I need to make a center console too.

chevyCUCV

Pulled the engine out
Headgasket blew and the engine ran full of water.
Had to get creative with the HF engine crane and various jacks
Shopping for a Optimizer hopefully:razz:

Possibly buying a blazer for scrap with a good 350, but i am not really interested in a gas truck
Either way i want it together before snow

Attachments

bushhawg73

you said "Rebuilt the kingpins with all new pins, seals and bearings"
looking to do this have the death wobble at highway speed hit a bump
heard there has a spring that you can add fender washers to to gain the tension back? what was the part number/brand if you can recall to do the rebuild and did it have a spring? thanks
I bought mine from offroad design, 66.00 per side with everything. My lower bearings were toast, full of grime and rusted. It steers a lot better now and feel a lot more solid that before. I am not saying it is a fix all but it helped mine out. The hardest part is getting out the king pins. I used a 3 foot 3/4 drive breaker bar with a large peice of hex stock material in a socket. They would not budge. I had to add a 5 foot peice of steel pipe for an extra 3 feet of leverage and when they finally came loose it sounded like a gun shot going off. I would say they were close to the 600 ft pounds I have read they were origonally torqued to.

As far as the adding of a washer I just used the new springs and cups supplied with the kit.

If you want to borrow the hex piece that fits in the top of the king pin I will mail it to you as long as you mail it back to when you are done. That will save you 15.00 bucks or so or you can just by your own. I found mine on line. PM me if you need any other info or want the hex piece.

topgun217

Replaced both front shocks (who would a thunk it would make that big a differance) got the entire undercarrage undercoated and ready for the Ohio snow season. Ordered all new window seals from LMC today too. Plan on replacing the rear shocks next weekend.

chief1983

Here's the center console pic. And has a vehicle ever looked more at home?

Edit: That's a new Safelite windshield too, with the antenna wire in case I want to wire up a stock-ish radio later. Don't let your friends go without a seatbelt when you're off road. Skulls and windshields don't bounce like tennis balls.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave87

I installed a m12000 warn winch, fixed a raging fuel leak at the IP. While checking to make sure everything was fixed and not leaking I started the truck with the intake off and managed to suck a leaf in.... oh well. Put a new thermostat in and the truck is still running colder then I'd like. Today is new shocks and shock mounts.

bushhawg73

Drained and refilled the rear end gear oil and new outer axle oil seals
Drained transmission , replaced filter and refilled
Drained and refilled transfer case
New front brake pads
New front brake lines from ORD
New rear flexible brake lines from ORD
New master cylinder and all new DOT 5 brake fluid
Bled the brakes - with the new rear disc brakes she stops quick now
New axle u joints
New u joints in the front drive shaft
Cleaned instrument panel, painted it bright white and replaced all of the bulbs, much brighter now
Cleaned the K&N air filter and painted the top of the air filter housing
New NAPA gold fuel filter
New wiper blades
Reset the drivers side door, and replaced both striker pins - doors shut soooo much better now
SO MUCH MORE TO DO - NEED MORE MONEY

Hightechken

I have a 10,000 pound HF winch that I would like to mount to a steel frame that could pin to the tow hook brackets, So the winch could be moved from front to back.
Has anyone fooled with making such a bracket so I am not re-inventing the wheel here?

Disciple

Installed my 4" lift from ORD in the M1008 with 37" HMMWV tires and 12-bolt bead-lock wheels. Discovered fairly heavy rub on the front fenders. Trimmed the fenders, rounded the cuts over, sealed, primed, and painted. Heater core went out, coolant in the cab. Replaced that tonight. Next up: brakes, rotors, and pack the bearings. I will be posting pics of my lift install and finished product in a different thread in a couple of days. Looks great! Couldn't be happier!

firefirefire90

bought a 10ft antenna setup! Stoked to put it on when all the parts start rolling in.

Also searched lowes/home depot for spray paint.. no luck. I guess it's off to wal mart!

edpdx

Just got confirmation that the Tread Wright Guard Dog Tires I ordered shipped today. Will send pics when I get them installed.

gd treadwright.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks