• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atwater

finally put that gooseneck hitch to good use. 1st 2 pics were the day after getting home from our local old fashioned farm festival. last pic is roughly 2300-2500 lbs of weight for the pulling tractor i bought in july. im thinking the trailer may need to be painted to match the truck.

Attachments

edpdx

Installed new Sylvania HB (BRITE) type headlights. The Adjusters looked to be OEM. 2 were broken, one was a 1/4" nut /bolt combo, The "last one" was a cap from a marker pen?!?

Got a couple sets of the help replacements- I hear they suck; but I guess I'll see.

Last edited:

ParamediCUCV

Just installed some Ranchero shocks, transmission cooler, and fog lights; replaced the front brake pads, and cleaned the rear drums to get rid of that awful squeaking. Now my M1009 rides like a dream!

SPCWarning

.....just got in from work Friday night, was out tinkering with the 1009 this morning before Church. The Blackout Drive light wasn't working, all the Blackout markers were fine. I decided to just remove the cover on the main drive light...........IT WAS COMPLETELY FULL OF MUD!! I cleaned out the mud, surprisingly the bulb was still in place, blown of course, but it came right out. The socket seemed to be in perfect shape considering it was submerged for who knows how long. Found a small crack in the lens, temporarily patched it with clear high temp silicone, checked the power, all ok..........just gotta find a replacement bulb. It looks a lot like an 1156 bulb. Anyone ever tried one in the Blackout light? If not I'll be searching for the original replacement bulb.
........Soon to come: doghead relay upgrade

Disciple

Installed a light for the rear license plate (State Trooper's "Recommendation"). Replaced front rotors and brake pads, packed bearings, extended rear diff breather tube, replaced heater core, installed my lift kit and tires. Next up: install removable rear drop-bumper to meet MN's 25" max bumper height (also a "recommendation" from our local finest).

Hightechken

.....just got in from work Friday night, was out tinkering with the 1009 this morning before Church. The Blackout Drive light wasn't working, all the Blackout markers were fine. I decided to just remove the cover on the main drive light...........IT WAS COMPLETELY FULL OF MUD!! I cleaned out the mud, surprisingly the bulb was still in place, blown of course, but it came right out. The socket seemed to be in perfect shape considering it was submerged for who knows how long. Found a small crack in the lens, temporarily patched it with clear high temp silicone, checked the power, all ok..........just gotta find a replacement bulb. It looks a lot like an 1156 bulb. Anyone ever tried one in the Blackout light? If not I'll be searching for the original replacement bulb.
........Soon to come: doghead relay upgrade

I used an 1156 bulb in a plastic housing BO light and after some use the bulb ran hot enough to start melting the plastic.......... (It WAS nice and bright)
So if you have a plastic lens set up, Be careful of heat from a replacement bulb.

chief1983

Took the Blazer to an offroad park near Salem, MO (not trailered, just drove it down). Wanted to watch the big rock crawling rigs tackle some obstacles at an overnight event. Decided to try some of the easier trails, and they weren't that easy for a full size. Broke my rear drive shaft, had to patch up the transfer case with a pop bottle and drive over 100 miles home in 4 high with no rear drive shaft. Apparently this happens all the time in the offroad world. Also blew the front hub seal, so I've got plenty more work to do.

jets1959

Don't know where I left off so I will start at the begining. Replaced all six u-joints, brake shoes and pads, turned rear drums, replaced front rotors, replaced injecter pump, replaced vaccum pump, did doghead relay mod, replaced all king pin parts including the top pins, replaced all the steering linkage, changed the glow plugs, greased all the grease fittings, replaced all shocks and steering shock, repacked all wheel bearings, had to replace front wheel bearings, serviced front and rear axle, serviced trans. and transfer case, installed high capacity aluminum front and rear dif. covers, installed aluminum trans. pan,installed front and rear trailer hitch, installed trailer brake controller, installed aux. heater in rear box from an 1980's Chevy van kit, installed solar powered trickle charger, installed bf goodrich mud terrain tires, installed cigarette lighter in ash tray to charge cell phone or gps, changed out drivers side tail light assy. to have license plate light, installed 2002 chevy med. duty license plate bracket behind left tail light using studs in tail light assy. just like it was made for it which it was, replaced all heater and radiator hoses, replaced radiator recovery tank, flushed and refilled cooling system with prestone long life antifreeze, replaced wiper motor and wiper blades, replaced windshield washer jar, installed fire extingisher in cab next to transfer case shifter where one was suppose to be, replaced harmonic balancer, replaced door locks the ignition lock was changed right before I bought the truck none are millitary key coded, installed mud flaps in rear, replaced all vacuum lines, replaced fuel and air filter, changed the oil and filter three times so far, replaced oil fill cap, repaired the only rust out area on the drivers side rear bottom cab corner, patched holes in box roof where rotating lights were removed before I got the truck with one foot square aluminum sheet looks factory, and installed locking lug nuts. This is all since April when I bought the truck. This has not been an overnight process. Good luck to you all with your projects. Mine is not done yet either.:driver:

greg6459

Trailer

finally put that gooseneck hitch to good use. 1st 2 pics were the day after getting home from our local old fashioned farm festival. last pic is roughly 2300-2500 lbs of weight for the pulling tractor i bought in july. im thinking the trailer may need to be painted to match the truck.

Yes. A repaint would complete this quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks