• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

tim292stro

I reduced the size of you images and posted them here - links to external sites are frowned on, you may delete the images later and forget it was posted here (then people reading the thread won't be able to see what you were talking about).
image7cx1z-Optimized.jpg
imagehkz34-Optimized.jpg
imageskbp3-Optimized.jpg
img_2872veql1-Optimized.jpg

Nice truck, I like the drop-side bed, and I'm glad to see your daughter was wearing her safety gear when she was helping [thumbzup]

Assel

nice ride, the new bed makes it look more like an unimog than a cucv, in my opinion...looks still better than on a mercedes or other "euro" equipment.

grüße aus dem tiefen Süden :p (greets from down south)

RobM36A2

The bed, the engine, the horror... Nah, just kidding. Nicely done.

I prefer keeping it Original, although putting a gas engine in and running it on LPG is a loophole for the Dutch environmental zones, since mine is registered as a truck..

Groeten uit Nederland.. [thumbzup]

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered new voltage gauge for M1009. Old one would peg out after start up. It runs approx. 29 volts after warm up. Tried to fix old gauge, but found it it wasn't the resistor, I believe it is a 12 volt gauge. Will post pic of new gauge when installed.

joshuak

Greetings, I replaced the original heater core with a Spectra Premium from the local auto parts zone. The original is going to storage, I would like to get it fixed, but this was quick and painless.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Note the bent bolt on the housing above the heater core, it bent that way when I was un threading the nut, fortunately for me I was able to straighten out and re use, after failing to remove it with the intentions of replacing. Never had that happen before.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings, I replaced the original heater core with a Spectra Premium from the local auto parts zone. The original is going to storage, I would like to get it fixed, but this was quick and painless.
View attachment 583498View attachment 583499

Note the bent bolt on the housing above the heater core, it bent that way when I was un threading the nut, fortunately for me I was able to straighten out and re use, after failing to remove it with the intentions of replacing. Never had that happen before.
Make sure you close that air path up with the included foam..... I did NOT when I changed mine.....got only tepid warm air, nothing hot...............needless to say I did it again, this time with the foam. As ya probably already noticed the AL heater core is thinner than the brass.... ENJOY the heat this winter! =)

cucvrus

That aluminum heater core is the best. I have my Mule and it has a metal floor and all the insulation removed from the firewall. I put one of the aluminum heater cores in and it heats much better. Could be that the original one was a bit clogged but i just replaced it when I took everything off the firewall and painted the floor. I like the bare look in lieu of the crumbling firewall insulation. Also today I changed the shift selector seal on myy M1009 Crown of Thorns. About a 15 minute job and the seal was about $2. I have a tool to do it and the tool cost me close to $90. so it was a good deal. Part of the tool removes the old seal and the other part puts the new seal in. At that time I also cleaned up the bell crank and lubed the ball and spring assembly on the frame side of the bell crank. Everything works much better now and the barn floor should stay a bit dryer. Have a good day and thank you for looking.

joshuak

Make sure you close that air path up with the included foam...
Hmmm, there was none in the box. I re used the foam that seals the two ports to the firewall and I was/am under the impression from reading on this thread that the Spectra Premium heater core 94553 did not require the extra foam around the sides due to the filler panels on the side, please view the first post great pics, better editing.

I may be mistaken and will not be able to report until I get my hoses hooked up. Either way thank you for the heads up, I will certainly foam up if it HOT air doesn't come out.

The end of last winter had my defroster (which needed to be on) spewing antifreeze mist on the windshield and in the cab, that was unacceptable. Not to be repeated. But, I still drove it having a perfectly good pick up truck right next to it. Funny thing this green disease :shrugs:.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, there was none in the box. I re used the foam that seals the two ports to the firewall and I was/am under the impression from reading on this thread that the xSpectra Premium heater core 94553 did not require the extra foam around the sides due to the filler panels on the side, please view the first post great pics, better editing.

I may be mistaken and will not be able to report until I get my hoses hooked up. Either way thank you for the heads up, I will certainly foam up if it HOT air doesn't come out.

The end of last winter had my defroster (which needed to be on) spewing antifreeze mist on the windshield and in the cab, that was unacceptable. Not to be repeated. But, I still drove it having a perfectly good pick up truck right next to it. Funny thing this green disease :shrugs:.
I hope that you are right! I didn't notice that the core was sized differently than mine. Let me know! It s the beauty of this thread!

Lizard Dog

Headlight wire harness upgrade. Very easy and only took an hour.

Bert
This got my attention, I hadn't heard of this upgrade, but I recently got around to replacing my dimmer switch so I have high beams for the first time.

I did some searching around to find more info, did you end up using the LMC kit like I see mentioned, or did you use/make a different schematic?

Thanks for the post!

Daniel

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today i replaced the old wiper motor/pump with an new/remanufactured one.
Now the wiper blades go back from alone in its original position 8)
image1.jpgimage2.jpg
I have also mounted a pair of original shackles in the front.
Unbenannt.jpg

tim292stro

...I did some searching around to find more info, did you end up using the LMC kit like I see mentioned, or did you use/make a different schematic?...

You can build your own, but it won't likely be cheaper than LMC - that said it could be functionally better than theirs.

My preference would be to use a 4-relay setup and fuse/drive the individual sides separately. This way if one fuse blew, you'd still have one side of headlight (high and low). I can post up a schematic if you want to "roll your own".

Last edited:

cucvrus

I never had any issue with the headlamps after I put some inline fuses in. And now all my exterior lighting is LED so I will have even less issues. I also have LED flashers from Truck lite so I should be good without any upgrades. now i must repair a wiper circuit on one of my trucks. it is melting the wiper fuse. i think bad ground is possible. maybe maybe not. I shall take a look see.

joshuak

Hmmm, there was none in the box. I re used the foam that seals the two ports to the firewall and I was/am under the impression from reading on this thread that the Spectra Premium heater core 94553 did not require the extra foam around the sides due to the filler panels on the side, please view the first post great pics, better editing.

I am satisfied with the amount of heat coming out, I don't think I will need to disassemble to add foam. Might be a good idea anyway, but it's definitely working well as is.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This got my attention, I hadn't heard of this upgrade, but I recently got around to replacing my dimmer switch so I have high beams for the first time.

I did some searching around to find more info, did you end up using the LMC kit like I see mentioned, or did you use/make a different schematic?

Thanks for the post!

Daniel
I used the LMC kit, price was reasonable and easy to install. Just remember to buy a couple of inline fuse holders before you start the project.

Bert

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks