• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

Today I had to chew a round.
I had to swap out the old, box filter for a spin on unit. The old one was sucking air, and I could have plugged the hole for the pressure sensor (im sure tgat it was leaking) but when I'm in 4x4 low holding the peddle on the mat climbing out of a muskeg swap in Alaska I don't want to worry about is my patch on the filter going to work.
I used one from NAPA with 2 in and 2 outs and filter with a water separator made in.
I first tried the using the old filter bracket but the filter was on the valve cover. So quick fab job and done, I didn't have to lengthen my fuel in line but the line to the injection pump had to be longer, so I used a small clear fuel filter as a double Barb fitting/sight glass.
So now the truck runs great, at 70mph it starts to shake a little but I don't run that fast much.

I used one OUT for the engine and the other OUT for a valve to drain the air. I have a T that I can add later to have a pressure gauge too.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
volt meter M1009.jpg

OK, as promised, here's a pic of the new gauge installed.....even came with a light, which is new and improved for me! LOL Was a fairly simple install and I can now see what's happening when running down the road.

MarcusOReallyus

Assel has the luxury of a garage..
When I need do do anything, I need a lot of Sunshine..
I can relate. My work gets done in the open, on gravel. Not fun.

That same problem was just mentioned in another thread on here recently. But memory is not my strong suit; oh WELL. :shrugs:

But if I remember right, the solution was taking a diode and maybe one other component, out of the wiring leg.

Is this ringing a bell to anybody else?

Yep. Here's the thread. It's well worth reading ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

Takes a long time (10+ fill-ups) - they can see red dye even in the tiniest of proportions. Some 2-stroke motor oil is dyed now with a blue or green. Given the fine if red dye is found (minimum $1000 or $10/gallon in some places), it's better to stick with additives that are designed specifically to be put in a fuel system 2cents
I don't *think* trans fluid uses the same dye, Tim. It just happens to be red.

Does anyone know for sure?

rsh4364

Today I had to chew a round.
I had to swap out the old, box filter for a spin on unit. The old one was sucking air, and I could have plugged the hole for the pressure sensor (im sure tgat it was leaking) but when I'm in 4x4 low holding the peddle on the mat climbing out of a muskeg swap in Alaska I don't want to worry about is my patch on the filter going to work.
I used one from NAPA with 2 in and 2 outs and filter with a water separator made in.
I first tried the using the old filter bracket but the filter was on the valve cover. So quick fab job and done, I didn't have to lengthen my fuel in line but the line to the injection pump had to be longer, so I used a small clear fuel filter as a double Barb fitting/sight glass.
So now the truck runs great, at 70mph it starts to shake a little but I don't run that fast much.

I used one OUT for the engine and the other OUT for a valve to drain the air. I have a T that I can add later to have a pressure gauge too.
Thanks for looking
Nice job but I would go with a smaller micron filter than 16,especially if driving to Alaska.(that's also a dream of mine.)

rsh4364

Go to page 242 and check out post #2417,its really helpful for choosing a fuel filter.I think the orig.box styles were either 5 or 10 microns.I think 10 but not sure anymore.The guy behind the counter doesn't care about your truck, but we do.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Go to page 242 and check out post #2417,its really helpful for choosing a fuel filter.I think the orig.box styles were either 5 or 10 microns.I think 10 but not sure anymore.The guy behind the counter doesn't care about your truck, but we do.
That chart is awesome! Downloaded that to have handy when I get that 24770 wix base so I can get a 3 micron filter. I am on dirt roads more than pavement.

gottaluvit

I don't *think* trans fluid uses the same dye, Tim. It just happens to be red.

Does anyone know for sure?
Maybe not but a cop or dot officer will still make things ugly for me until I go through court. I ordered the Stanadyne so both the CUCV and my 5 ton (and the law) will be happy. So glad there was no red fuel in the 5 ton. It came direct through GP so no atf added either. It's commercial so they'd really make it rough on that.

rsh4364

No need to thank me,thank joshuak for digging it up and Albin the orig.poster.Cucvlover filter 3426 might be a more to your liking.Compare measurements and thread count and microns to determine which will work best for you.

RobM36A2

Well, this weekend I tried to do a headlight relay mod.
Got all the parts, only forgot the inline fuses, so when I arrived at my buddy, no modding.
Insead helped around, used the M1028 to jumpstart a deuce.

Going for fuses today and replace the H4 bulb connection on the passanger side, it is burned and molten. :tank:

gottaluvit

Where did you get one with a pump?
Thought I was gonna have to replace mine as it had no washer solvent pumping. Have two old civy chevy trucks and raised all three hoods to see similarities and the 86 has no pump in the wiper motor but has a pump in the reservoir. The 78 had the same wiper motor with the pump built in. My CUCV is an 85. Question I have is did 86 CUCVs have the pump built in the wiper motor as well as the 85s? I'm sure TACOM didn't want various parts for the CUCV so I assume that was GMs way of getting rid of overstock, since the 86 civy had the "new" style. Luckily I didnt even have to change it out since the suction hose to the reservoir was just leaking at the pump/wiper motor. That linkage nut can be a hassle to get to if I remember correctly. It's been over a decade since I changed on though.

joshuak

Question I have is did 86 CUCVs have the pump built in the wiper motor as well as the 85s? I'm sure TACOM didn't want various parts for the CUCV so I assume that was GM's way of getting rid of overstock, since the 86 civy had the "new" style. Luckily I didnt even have to change it out since the suction hose to the reservoir was just leaking at the pump/wiper motor. That linkage nut can be a hassle to get to if I remember correctly. It's been over a decade since I changed on though.
I was wondering what was going on, because my '86 also had both discharge hoses, suction hose and reservoir bottle, but my motor had no pump and the wiring harness had the plug, strange. I'm definitely happy to have a pump now.

Not so bad on the nut, there was enough play on the linkage to pull it through the engine side of the firewall about 1/2'' and fit a wrench back there, once the wiper motor is unscrewed.

Where did you get one with a pump?
Added info. to original post.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the pumps and such. When GM bid the contract, they bid the whole contract without changes so all of the trucks sold are exactly like the 84 (first year). If you are going to a parts house to buy stuff, forget what year your truck is and get parts for an 84 K-30 and you should be good. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but they are just that, exceptions, not the norm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks