• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

gottaluvit

Fixed my winshield washer issue and put new blades on. Washer suction hose was bulged where it attached to the wiper motor from all these years attached and was sucking air and not the solvent from the reservoir. Cut one inch of hose off, reattached hose and it shot solvent on the windshield. Then tore into drivers door as the window jumped off the front track. PO had replaced vent window and just didn't align things so well. While looking over the screw on filter assembly PO recently installed, I noticed these unused plugs.20150925_161246.jpg Here's the fuel filter setup.20150925_161308.jpg I was just wondering if PO eliminated anything electrical in the process of changing fuel filter over.

CUCVLOVER

Fixed my winshield washer issue and put new blades on. Washer suction hose was bulged where it attached to the wiper motor from all these years attached and was sucking air and not the solvent from the reservoir. Cut one inch of hose off, reattached hose and it shot solvent on the windshield. Then tore into drivers door as the window jumped off the front track. PO had replaced vent window and just didn't align things so well. While looking over the screw on filter assembly PO recently installed, I noticed these unused plugs.View attachment 583856 Here's the fuel filter setup.View attachment 583858 I was just wondering if PO eliminated anything electrical in the process of changing fuel filter over.
Those should be for the water in fuel sensor, the heater and pressure sensor.

rsh4364

Not to nick-pick but that filter is a 12 micron filter,the factory box filter is 10 micron,I have a 3 micron wix filter on my 1009s.You may want a smaller micron filter especially if you still have fact. tank,pickup and sock filter.Modern diesel seems to be much cleaner nowadays but our tanks,fuel lines and pickup units probably has some rust and crud in them.Just a thought. That filter head accepts a 1" 12 thread pitch filter.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Not to nick-pick but that filter is a 12 micron filter,the factory box filter is 10 micron,I have a 3 micron wix filter on my 1009s.You may want a smaller micron filter especially if you still have fact. tank,pickup and sock filter.Modern diesel seems to be much cleaner nowadays but our tanks,fuel lines and pickup units probably has some rust and crud in them.Just a thought. That filter head accepts a 1" 12 thread pitch filter.
It is in fact a brand new tank and fuel pump, but I should really pickup a better one. What part number is your 3 micron? Will I have priming issues or is it just an r & r job? New to diesels so bear with my ignorance.

gottaluvit

Also, while on fuel subject, the PO said he puts atf in the fuel tank. After reading a long drawn out thread on the dye, I have decided to stop that. Going to get the Stanadyne performance all season. Anyone know about how long until that dye is no longer visible in the fuel?

rsh4364

It is in fact a brand new tank and fuel pump, but I should really pickup a better one. What part number is your 3 micron? Will I have priming issues or is it just an r & r job? New to diesels so bear with my ignorance.
I use a different filter head,its wix #24770,so it has a different thread count for filter.It also has 2 inputs and 2 outlets so its easy to add a fuel pressure gauge to the system,which is nice when trouble shooting,I then run a wix 33005 filter.Which is a 1" with 14 thread pitch.

bryancarson

Was having trouble climbing those hills on the expressway @ 70mph after the 700r4 was put in, thought it was just the anemic 6.2. Wow what a difference a new fuel filter makes! Now my m1028 runs like a sports car (not really but much better now).

rsh4364

Also, while on fuel subject, the PO said he puts atf in the fuel tank. After reading a long drawn out thread on the dye, I have decided to stop that. Going to get the Stanadyne performance all season. Anyone know about how long until that dye is no longer visible in the fuel?
Chances are you will never get checked for running non-taxed fuel.But if worried about it the more fuel you run out of tank the more you can dilute.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Takes a long time (10+ fill-ups) - they can see red dye even in the tiniest of proportions. Some 2-stroke motor oil is dyed now with a blue or green. Given the fine if red dye is found (minimum $1000 or $10/gallon in some places), it's better to stick with additives that are designed specifically to be put in a fuel system 2cents

Change your fuel filter every other fill-up until it's more or less gone, as it'll hold a lot of dye.

rsh4364

Takes a long time (10+ fill-ups) - they can see red dye even in the tiniest of proportions. Some 2-stroke motor oil is dyed now with a blue or green. Given the fine if red dye is found (minimum $1000 or $10/gallon in some places), it's better to stick with additives that are designed specifically to be put in a fuel system 2cents

Change your fuel filter every other fill-up until it's more or less gone, as it'll hold a lot of dye.
Wow thanks,had no idea fuel held the color that long,I did notice my fuel was still blue even after I quit using TC-W3 2 stroke oil for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks