• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a weird one.

On the way to the campsite the low coolant light came on, so I popped the cap and the level was down maybe two inches. Wait....popped the cap? Yep, no pressure at all on the radiator cap. So I'm not sure what was going on. Maybe it vented into the overflow right before I tried to get the cap off, but I think my overflow tank leaks so I didn't notice any more coolant in there than is normal.

After driving it this morning for a half hour there was still no pressure. After the hour +20 drive back home there was pressure behind the cap.

So what gives? Might the thermostat be stuck open?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So dispite the radiator weirdness, we had a fantastic time.

The campsite is down an dead-ending abandoned logging road. 4WD and clearance is a must, as well as a healthy disregard for the condition of the paint along the sides of the vehicle. This was a first trip in this year and some small trees had fallen, as well as the overgrowth being even more overgrown. The daises were in bloom around the camp and I crushed more than a few getting the truck in and turned around.

The first thing was to get some citronella tiki-torches up to keep the mosquitoes and flies away- they worked really great for that too.

Then popped the tent open and filled the air mattress. While my wife got the bed made up I gathered some deadfall for the fire. We did the hot-dogs and marshmallows thing, played some cards, headed to bed around 10pm. Way off in the distance we could hear an elk bellowing but other than that it was peaceful silence.

Attachments

Last edited:

rsh4364

Thanks for the picts .Mainsail,my son recently moved to your area hes a diver in the Navy,he says they all love it there.Which says a lot because his wife and children are Hawian so it must be beautiful there in Wash.I hope to drive my 1009 there in a year or so.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a weird one.

On the way to the campsite the low coolant light came on, so I popped the cap and the level was down maybe two inches. Wait....popped the cap? Yep, no pressure at all on the radiator cap. So I'm not sure what was going on. Maybe it vented into the overflow right before I tried to get the cap off, but I think my overflow tank leaks so I didn't notice any more coolant in there than is normal.

After driving it this morning for a half hour there was still no pressure. After the hour +20 drive back home there was pressure behind the cap.

So what gives? Might the thermostat be stuck open?

Check your oil. Pray there's no coolant in it.

Also, check your heater core, you can usually smell a bit of coolant in the cab when it starts to leak (remember the CV? LOL)

SRB1976

Believe or not I converted my spin on fuel filter mod back to the original set up. The M1009 didn't seem to like the spin on filter for some reason. It had trouble starting and it acted like there was air getting into the fuel. Now it runs like a champ again.:cookoo:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your oil. Pray there's no coolant in it.

Also, check your heater core, you can usually smell a bit of coolant in the cab when it starts to leak (remember the CV? LOL)
The coolant is all coolant and the oil is all oil. The oil level on the stick is constant as well. After the 20 minute drive to the ferry terminal this morning there is pressure behind the cap, not sure how much. Heater core good. Everything appears normal.... :???:

Yes, I survived my CV ownership without ever having to deal with a heater core issue or the next best; spark plug through the hood.

So dispite the radiator weirdness, we had a fantastic time.

The campsite is down an dead-ending abandoned logging road. 4WD and clearance is a must, as well as a healthy disregard for the condition of the paint along the sides of the vehicle. This was a first trip in this year and some small trees had fallen, as well as the overgrowth being even more overgrown. The daises were in bloom around the camp and I crushed more than a few getting the truck in and turned around.

The first thing was to get some citronella tiki-torches up to keep the mosquitoes and flies away- they worked really great for that too.

Then popped the tent open and filled the air mattress. While my wife got the bed made up I gathered some deadfall for the fire. We did the hot-dogs and marshmallows thing, played some cards, headed to bed around 10pm. Way off in the distance we could hear an elk bellowing but other than that it was peaceful silence.

Not it much better than camping in the PNW.
Love be the pop-up roof tent, Mainsail. What brand, and how did you mount it?

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a CVT brand, Mt Shasta model. They have even nicer and more compact models now. They all mount to the roof rails on trucks, SUVs, and even little cars. Browse around their website, there's some cool pictures.

I added a set of roof rails to the topper and it holds it up there great.

It used to be on my Grand Cherokee but I took it down and put it on the M1009 because the CARC is so much tougher. And the places we like to camp are very brushy. The ~road into the campsite above is so overgrown that if you didn't know it you'd think it had dead-ended. Nope, just keep going and crash through the little trees.

Here it is on the WK:

Attachments

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted the RF burn warning on my Antenna Brush guards. I got the stencils from Evil Dr. Porkchop here on SS.

I trimmed them slightly so that I could center them out easier and it worked perfectly. Thanks again Jon!

Bert

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted the RF burn warning on my Antenna Brush guards. I got the stencils from Evil Dr. Porkchop here on SS.

I trimmed them slightly so that I could center them out easier and it worked perfectly. Thanks again Jon!

Bert

I custom made mine...

:D

I bought a stencil maker on ebay, basically a USB printer except it cuts stencils instead... Best $60 I ever spent!

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After many cusswords, a couple of hours, some grinding, and a broken finger, I managed to get a 12V 'drop in' alternator into my M1010, methinks there might be different alternator brackets in use on some vehicles, and I drew the short stick...

Ugh..

Abbylind

My truck left me stranded at Home Depot. Got the dreaded clunk on the starter relay but no starter...figured the original starter gave up. After a tow home ordered a new starter...for grins I crawled underneath and looked at the old one...lo and behold noticed one of the long starter casing bolts had backed out...tightened back in...Vrrrrooomm! back to starting A-OK!

Drock

Bought the truck 3 months ago and have bin hitt'in it hard . Here's where I'm at so far. NEW..... belts, all rubber fuel line, fuel pump, over flow bottle, glow plugs, GP relay, repaired lose power steer pump, replaced all power steering lines, cleaned and repair gauges + repaired shift indicator, changed oil, greased all fittings, rear diff fluid, rear diff seals, rear diff breather hose, rear brake shoes, rear wheel cylinders, rear flex line, front brake calipers + pads, front flex lines, flushed & bleed brakes DOT 5, front + rear shocks, steering stabilizer, balanced the wheels + tires, fixed radiator, dog head relay mod, removed all police wiring, Welded 17 hole in roof (from police lights), made custom licence plate mount with lights, customized battery tray. I'm sure I'm forgetting something?

alanb

Bought the truck 3 months ago and have bin hitt'in it hard . Here's where I'm at so far. NEW..... belts, all rubber fuel line, fuel pump, over flow bottle, glow plugs, GP relay, repaired lose power steer pump, replaced all power steering lines, cleaned and repair gauges + repaired shift indicator, changed oil, greased all fittings, rear diff fluid, rear diff seals, rear diff breather hose, rear brake shoes, rear wheel cylinders, rear flex line, front brake calipers + pads, front flex lines, flushed & bleed brakes DOT 5, front + rear shocks, steering stabilizer, balanced the wheels + tires, fixed radiator, dog head relay mod, removed all police wiring, Welded 17 hole in roof (from police lights), made custom licence plate mount with lights, customized battery tray. I'm sure I'm forgetting something?
Pics?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks