• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

I pulled this from the wiki.
"An Autozone part number for the DRIVER side alternator is DL7157 (also found in a 1975 Cady with a V8 engine). This alternator is 78 amps and works just fine."

You could do that until you get your other one going.
Hope this helps somehow

joshuak

I installed striker bolt bushings, less rattle and easier to close, I'm a happy.

Well my alternator went out today on Gen 1 (drivers side) none of the parts store has them or carries them..... any ideas ?
Another option is rebuilding yourself. It is not difficult to do, there are detailed instructions in the TM's, helpful threads in the stickies and proven rebuild kits are available through an SS vendor.

Last edited:

joshuak

Got good U joints?

I'd like to share these pic's of a u joint cap and needle bearing dust and debris, from my rear propeller shaft. I thought I was doing preventive maintenance here, not corrective. I drive it quite a bit and had not noticed excessive vibration or grinding.

IMG_0769.jpgIMG_0770.jpg

New u joints all around :beer:.

CUCVLOVER

Cool vids Rob.

Today I tightened up the driver side alt belt, now it maybe no more squealing.

The other day I hauled off a load of scrap it totaled about 2400lbs. I know it should have been much farther forward but it slid around and I didn't want the guy hitting my truck with the fork lift and the scrap place is less than 3 miles and me.

Attachments

gottaluvit

Cool vids Rob.

Today I tightened up the driver side alt belt, now it maybe no more squealing.

The other day I hauled off a load of scrap it totaled about 2400lbs. I know it should have been much farther forward but it slid around and I didn't want the guy hitting my truck with the fork lift and the scrap place is less than 3 miles and me.
Nice looking bed there. Truck looks great too.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weekend, i changed motor oil, lubricated the CV joint at the end of the front drive shaft and sprayed twelve cans Fluid Film AS/R under my truck.
With my two new batteries
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443983070.833392.jpg
and my new wiper motor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443983139.673817.jpg
..... Winter may come ;-)

Another Ahab

This weekend, i changed motor oil, lubricated the CV joint at the end of the front drive shaft and sprayed twelve cans Fluid Film AS/R under my truck.
..... Winter may come.
Winter WILL come, right? You can bank on that, but hard winter or a soft one, that's always the question.

I am wondering about the Fluid Film AS/R product; is that a rust inhibitor or what?

And a "soft" film (as in flexible), or does it cure up hard?

CUCVLOVER

Did you purchase the truck with that bed? Anything you would have done or do differently?
Yes the bed was on the truck when I got it. Arkansas state forest service put it on.

I really like the bed, I would have liked the band around sides like some have. Some rear flood light in the back of the bed, that's about it.
I'm going to add some more lights facing back and I'm going to build my own out of military boxs. Two of these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-xl-medical-storage-chest-olive-drab?a=529484 (i dont know how to shrink a link) on passenger side under the bed behind the cab on slids, then on the other side some tall ammo cans in a rack with a locker bar on the driver side by the tank.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Trying to change glow plugs and believe I may have the wrong ones. Electric tip is wider.

View attachment 585848
The military plugs have the narrow tip - you can do one of two things, get the military plugs with the 3/16" tips, or replace the spades on the wires so that it can accept the more common .25" (1/4") tip. If you have not done a 12V modification for the glow plugs, I would not recommend the AC60G plugs - they are dual-coil self regulating which is not ideal for the ballast resistor configuration from GM.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winter WILL come, right? You can bank on that, but hard winter or a soft one, that's always the question.

I am wondering about the Fluid Film AS/R product; is that a rust inhibitor or what?

And a "soft" film (as in flexible), or does it cure up hard?
Fluid Film is wool grease with additives, it draws into rust, repressed oxygen and humidity and forms a non-permanent protective film.
It stays greasy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks