• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

MtNgranek

I'm a new 1009 owner, 4 months now, and there seems to be no end to things that I've done to my truck "lately".
Just today I replaced the blower motor speed selector switch and the plug that plugs into the back of it. They were
both melted pretty bad and its been pretty cold here in Chicago. A week without the heater was enough for me.
The last thing I did before that was the glow plugs. It had Autolites in it, but they were fried. I got AC60Gs and
immediately voided their warranty by grinding the connector to fit the stock plug connectors. Starts a lot better now,
but I'm worried about the manual GP button one of the previous owners installed. From what I've read here it could cause
problems.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a new 1009 owner, 4 months now, and there seems to be no end to things that I've done to my truck "lately".
Just today I replaced the blower motor speed selector switch and the plug that plugs into the back of it. They were
both melted pretty bad and its been pretty cold here in Chicago. A week without the heater was enough for me.
The last thing I did before that was the glow plugs. It had Autolites in it, but they were fried. I got AC60Gs and
immediately voided their warranty by grinding the connector to fit the stock plug connectors. Starts a lot better now,
but I'm worried about the manual GP button one of the previous owners installed. From what I've read here it could cause
problems.
It's a 30 year old chevy that sat more than it was ran...

That means seals, electrical connectors, rubber, etc are gonna be bad...

Start saving up for an IP....lol

MtNgranek

It's a 30 year old chevy that sat more than it was ran...

That means seals, electrical connectors, rubber, etc are gonna be bad...

Start saving up for an IP....lol
Yeah, I figured that out fairly quickly. Almost nothing on that truck works right. I'm waiting until spring
and then I'm going to take apart everything I can and clean it all up. I'm not looking forward to IP problems.
From what I've read, it's super expensive and a huge PITA.

CUCVLOVER

The IP isn't to bad. About 4-5 hours to remove and the same for installation. If you have it rebuilt you can. Have it done for about 300 by diesel care and performance in Memphis TN.

What did I do to my cucv today? Filled it up with gas twice and put a new air filter on it.

cucvrus

Yeah, I figured that out fairly quickly. Almost nothing on that truck works right. I'm waiting until spring
and then I'm going to take apart everything I can and clean it all up. I'm not looking forward to IP problems.
From what I've read, it's super expensive and a huge PITA.
It is like $350. and as easy as changing a water pump on a CUCV. You should be able to change it in about 4-5 hours. Taking your time and doing it right is the most important part. you will have a few issues with a 32 year old vehicle. But a few tools and some time and you can keep it up and running. Shame it has modifacations. that makes it harder to help you when it does have problems. Happy New Year.

Another Ahab

I did my basic training back in the stone age during a January and a February in Chicago (at Great Lakes). I hope I never know cold like that again.

I can't picture driving around that climate without a heater; sounds like waterboarding or something, only worse.

cucvrus

Of Course I was out cutting wood today. I had a big pile of oak 2x4 lumber rough cut and I wanted to get it burned up. Winter has been mild and it is easier to control the heat with smaller wood. It was free from the truck plant so I took it.DSCF2482.jpgDSCF2481.jpgDSCF2480.jpgThis is how you are supposed to use your CUCV. Never hurt it. Happy New Year.

gottaluvit

Got right high beam headlight working again, as well as right front turn signal and side marker. Had a bad connection in a crimp and the headlight sockets both are going to need replaced eventually. I jarred them both changing the inner fender. Was thinking for sure it was a bad ground when indeed it wasn't. Guess you'll have that at times.

CUCVLOVER

Rawhided it hard. Went puddle jumping hard, hydroplaned it several times. Need to tighten my powrrsteering belt, it didn't like getting wet lol no steering or brakes until it would burn the water off. Ran it in the creek, very hard lol.
Then once I got on pavement I really ran it hard. That big block was sucking some fuel lol.

Obijuank5

20161231_141439.jpg
IMG_20170102_081830_01.jpg

Broke a bolt off in the housing. Removed the coolant crossover and drilled it for repair.
Then threw in the front locker with new inner axle seals.

cucvrus

Do you run that truck with the flywheel cover missing? Where you successful in getting that M10 bolt out of the coolant manifold? Or did you just end up nutting and bolting it? That's a tough call. I usually scrap that manifold and put another one on. But I have been in that situation where I had to salvage the existing one. Good Luck . And is that a 10 bolt or a Dana 60?

Obijuank5

Pulled the cover off to diagnose a leak. Never went back on. Been off for a while. I welded a nut to the broken bolt twice. Still never came out. Eventually drilled it out and cut threads into it. It's my daily driver by choice, I have another vehicle but I enjoy driving it so I chose to repair it. That's a d60.

cucvrus

Just a dirt and sandy dust magnet to run that engine with the cover off. When the cover is on. The spinning torque converter and flex-plate add a small amount of air pressure to blow dirt out thru the small breather hole in the bottom. I picture Texas as being a place I would want that cover in place. Do as you wish. I know putting inner axle seals in is a real hoot. Yes it seems once the steel bolt locks fast to aluminum it is there for the duration. Good call to drill it out. I never was able to get one out and still have threads in the manifold anyway.

Obijuank5

Well, it hasn't really presented itself as an issue personally, but I'm sure it could become one. If the weather cooperates and gets cold enough for me to not want to drive it, the nv4500 205 is going in.

On the crossover tube, I was surprised to see the unavailability of used parts. I'd expect to have seen more on ebay. I have a small crack that may have developed from me cranking on it. I would like to replace it though.

Any suggestions?

cucvrus

Other then a new one. I am out of options. If it is just a crack. An Aluminum welder can fix that.DSCF2497.jpgThis is my forklift kiss. It has been there all 17 years I owned it. Never affected anything so I just left it go. I did add side fender turn signals. Keeps it in line with European safety standards. ;)DSCF2495.jpgDSCF2496.jpgI updated the original B/O driving lamp with an LED upgrade. First picture auto flash kicked in. Second picture is how it looks with out the flash. I used a salvage LED truck lite multi diode license plate lamp and wired it in. Beats the pants off of the rust laden 1156 bulb that was un-serviceable. DSCF2494.jpgAnother teaser shot of the Truck lite LED's. Modified brush guard The other round lights are KC HID POD carbon fiber lights. Very bright. DSCF7549 (1).jpgThis was the 1974 K5 I bought for the full top removal. Notice the rope cleats on the sides. I re-purposed them to my Crown of Thorns M1009. That is recycling at it's finest. I did it right away. I just removed them on Friday when I scrapped the 1/4 panels. DSCF2490.jpgDSCF2491.jpgDSCF2492.jpgDSCF2493.jpgI added them to my Crown of Thorns M1009. I remember the guy that owned the K5 before me telling me. he added them the day he bought it. That makes them 42 years old and I thought I would honor the previous owner and put them to use. I did use new T-15 torx screws. It had straight screws and they don't fly in the world today. Have a great day. Boredom is a great motivator. I was trying to relax and I just con not do it. Oh well. Back to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

cucvrus

You know them days when it don't want to start and it gets you burning mad? Lock and load. Some people have decals with bullet holes. I have real holes. Just a little extra patina. I like it. I get a lot of questions about them. Thanks for asking. It's for when unique is what you seek.

86m1028

Well, it hasn't really presented itself as an issue personally, but I'm sure it could become one. If the weather cooperates and gets cold enough for me to not want to drive it, the nv4500 205 is going in.

On the crossover tube, I was surprised to see the unavailability of used parts. I'd expect to have seen more on ebay. I have a small crack that may have developed from me cranking on it. I would like to replace it though.

Any suggestions?
Hey Matt
I probably have a few laying around.
Figures I was just down by you a few days ago.
Ill look & see what I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks